What Would Be Your Reaction If Extraterestial Life Was Discovered?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fjw2

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2016
    Close to a friend
    I've got a few oz of Four Roses, a bottle of Buffalo Trace, and a couple bottles of spiced rum. Sufficient?
    Was thinking of teaming up with Elon Musk and SpaceX. What you and I have together might only get us past Earths atmosphere. So we’ll need to think bigger. If weed dispensaries are a thing out there, in terms of weight that might be a better way to go. Elon seems to have a soft spot for the herb.

GrinderCB

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 24, 2017
    Greendale
    Discovering microbial life on Mars (or anywhere else in the solar system for that matter) wouldn't get a huge reaction out of me. I'd probably follow the story over time with the attitude of "I'm not surprised..." but would also be concerned about leaving such life on its native planet and not doing something stupid like trying to bring a sample back to Earth where it could infect our own planet.

Frankly, from all the stuff I read and follow I seriously doubt that there's any life currently on Mars. What I suspect is that if anything these probes might find fossilized bacteria or some such evidence that life once existed on Mars. Then again they could just come up with a handful of dead dirt.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Why would you think that?

I know mine wouldn't, but I can kind of see his point. Even then I don't think they'd necessarily "collapse". Some might be a bit shook up though.

ETA: I should rephrase... some individuals, maybe even a lot, within various religions, would be a bit shook up. Not necessarily the religion itself, if that makes any sense at all.

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    It would probably very healthy for Christianity if people were prompted to examine scripture for answers and find out what was going on.

Ziggidy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 7, 2018
    Hendricks County
    My relationship with Jesus is not contingent upon me knowing or not knowing if life exists elsewhere. I might have more questions but interfere with (collapse) my relationship with Jesus? Would not happen. My gut says Pence feels the same way.

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    Originally Posted by NKBJ It would probably very healthy for Christianity if people were prompted to examine scripture for answers and find out what was going on.

JettaKnight posted:

I think I know where you're leading... and nope.

JK,
    It's a flat statement. If something showed up on the nightly news presented as being space aliens and it prompted people to examine scripture I think it would probably be very healthy for Christianity. Among other reasons, I think that because of all the standup philosophers with a crucifix behind their podiums. People are being distracted and deceived, manipulated.
    So where did you think I was going?

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Originally Posted by NKBJ It would probably very healthy for Christianity if people were prompted to examine scripture for answers and find out what was going on.

JettaKnight posted:

I think I know where you're leading... and nope.

JK,
    It's a flat statement. If something showed up on the nightly news presented as being space aliens and it prompted people to examine scripture I think it would probably be very healthy for Christianity. Among other reasons, I think that because of all the standup philosophers with a crucifix behind their podiums. People are being distracted and deceived, manipulated.
    So where did you think I was going?
    I'll wait until then before reevaluating.

Until then, it's nothing more than fanciful predictions and trying to force the text to apply to situations than are not the clear meaning. There's plenty of manipulations coming from the hardcore eschatology wing of Christianity, just as heretical as the "God just wants you to be prosperous and happy!" wing.

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    Heh, OK.
    I'm in the "multi-dimensional-creatures-are-being-presented-to-humans-as-aliens-from-another-planet" camp.
    They will show up and do what our creator said. If I'm still kicking by then I'll be interested to see what kind of make up they're wearing.
    :evilangel:

Ziggidy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 7, 2018
    Hendricks County
    If I'm still kicking by then I'll be interested to see what kind of make up they're wearing.
    :evilangel:

KX34m0e.jpg

Top Bottom