What Would Be Your Reaction If Extraterestial Life Was Discovered?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    I'd start waiting for the cookbook.

I classify facts in three categories:

1) Things that have been proven to my satisfaction to be true
    2) Things that have been proven to my satisfaction to be false/untrue (those are not the same thing)
    3) Things that I do not have the tools or knowledge to place in either 1 or 2.

Things have been known to move from one class to another from time to time.

As far as extraterrestrial life goes, it's a solid #3 at this time. I would be surprised if single celled organisms were NOT found, but I don't have the wherewithal to go find them myself. Complex life, particularly technologically competent life, is orders of magnitude higher up the food chain. The likelihood of meaningful contact with such a species is vanishingly small, but once again I would be surprised if they don't exist. The problem is the meaningful contact. That comes down to proximity, physically, technologically, and culturally.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    What if they are alcohol-based life forms? There are more planets with liquid hydrocarbons, than with liquid water. Short-chained alcohols also have properties similar to water, especially at higher pressures but lower temperatures.

Interstellar Bourbon-ites?!?!

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Do you have a link for that? Does that mean only our solar system planets or does it include exoplanets?
    I can likely find a link. The "liquid water zone" is pretty narrow, just looking at our own solar system. The liquid hydrocarbon zone is huge, by comparison.

Unfortunately, the technology to determine exoplanet composition is still pretty new. I only know of a few planets where we have identified ANY atmosphere with certainty.

PapaScout

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jun 30, 2008
    Live in Wilbur, Work in Indy
    I can likely find a link. The "liquid water zone" is pretty narrow, just looking at our own solar system. The liquid hydrocarbon zone is huge, by comparison.

Unfortunately, the technology to determine exoplanet composition is still pretty new. I only know of a few planets where we have identified ANY atmosphere with certainty.

I believe methane falls neatly into the hydrocarbon category : https://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/cassini/media/methane20060302.html

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    Animal and human abductions and mutilations have been going on and been investigated so many times.
    Boils down to no conclusion on whodunnit, make something up, move along.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    As I read that I thought, damn what if they like Jameson or Makers Mark? We could actually establish the first interstellar trade exports.

I've got a few oz of Four Roses, a bottle of Buffalo Trace, and a couple bottles of spiced rum. Sufficient?

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Animal and human abductions and mutilations have been going on and been investigated so many times.
    Boils down to no conclusion on whodunnit, make something up, move along.
    iu

Top Bottom