• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ryanmercer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    I've never even been in one... only recently started seeing them pop up, but if their stores don't even know what the corporate policy is... I don't want to mess with them...

epsylum

What's going on up here?
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    He also said that IN has concealed carry permit and your weapon had to be concealed. Meaning no open carry. I tried to explain to him that it was a licence to carry a handgun and nor a concealed carry permit and he got stupid and said he knew what it was he had had one all his life.

:ranton:

I hate when people make idiotic statements like that. Police who act like they are a friggin Marine Scout Sniper and an expert on all weapons just because they have a badge, NRA instructors who act like they don't need any instruction on anything gun related ever because they took a 20 hour course 25 years ago and pay their $17 every three years, and now this guy who feels that he knows all about IN's carry laws just because he could fill out a piece of paper correctly and paid some money.

Just because you have a peice of paper/badge doesn't mean you are the be-all-end-all expert on all things firearms related.

BTW I am an NRA instructor myself and RO and we had a guy pull that "I've been an NRA instructor for XX years and ....." then proceedes to bitch about our range safety rules (no drawing from holster and a pesky little thing like muzzles needing tobe pointed downrange at all times) and is the only one handling his firearm while the line is cold and with another RO directly in front of him changing out a target. Then spouts of the tired old "but it's unloaded" line. :rolleyesedit:

Maybe if they would quit beating their chest they might actually learn they are wrong every now and then. Once they except that, then their ignorance can be fixed, until then, they just look like a friggin idiot.

Rant off:

He is right though on the private property thing. They don't have to allow you to carry there. You (and everyone else who wants to carry) don't have to shop there either. Their property, their rules.

Crystalship1

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2008
    Oaklandon, IN.
    My opinion is that we don't waste our time at the store level. :rolleyes:

Here's the CORPORATE contact info.: Gander Mountain® > Contact Information : We Live Outdoors® :thumbsup:

This is what I sent them:

"My question is why does your store located in Evansville, IN. deviate from the handgun policies of all the other Indiana area stores? All the Indiana stores that I have visited have a large sign reading something like "All firearms must be unloaded.... etc.. With EXCEPTION of handgun permit holders” Now your Evansville, IN. store has a sign stating "All firearms must be unloaded… NO EXCEPTIONS". This was confirmed by a manager named "Brian" upon the inquiries from a friend of mine. Why would the Evansville, IN. store management wish to upset and likewise discourage persons who exercise their 2nd Amendment rights from shopping in that location?? .... Thanks for your expected response.... Roger X Xxxxxx"
    :cheers:

Last edited:

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Huh? I didn't see the sign. Sorry Mr. Manager.

The statement that, "the store was not the state of IN but was private property and they make their own rules," is a pretty funny one. Maybe they should try selling guns without their Indiana license and see what happens. ;-)

Last edited:

NEOCON

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Warrick county
    I spoke with a guy who was working with me on another project who happens to work at the Gander store in Evansville. He stated to me that it is a store policy that the store manager is a suppossed anticarry (antigunner).
    Now some more great info. A guy I work with went to Bass pro in Jefersonville and they have a similar policy about carry weapons. This seems to be a trend in these major sporting good stores. I do not understand why as we are the ones who buy the guns that they are prohibiting us from carrying in their store. I will shop at a store that respects and helps to protect my right to keep and bear arms as well as carry them legaly. We have enough problems with the "out" anti gunners without having these closet gun grabbers acting like they are on our side.

finity

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 29, 2008
    Auburn
    I spoke with a guy who was working with me on another project who happens to work at the Gander store in Evansville. He stated to me that it is a store policy that the store manager is a suppossed anticarry (antigunner).
    Now some more great info. A guy I work with went to Bass pro in Jefersonville and they have a similar policy about carry weapons. This seems to be a trend in these major sporting good stores. I do not understand why as we are the ones who buy the guns that they are prohibiting us from carrying in their store. I will shop at a store that respects and helps to protect my right to keep and bear arms as well as carry them legaly. We have enough problems with the "out" anti gunners without having these closet gun grabbers acting like they are on our side.

There was a big thread just recently about this exact topic here:

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/general_firearms_discussion/6251-no_loaded_firearms.html

Glock21

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    IL
    I didn't read through all of this, but Fenway hit it right on the head. There will be AD's, and there will be lawsuits from the results. And someone may even be hurt or killed.

Pistols in holsters need to stay in holsters in enviroments like this.

munky_3434

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    Brazil, IN
    The sign at the Terre Haute store also has the exception for LTCH holders. The sign is for guns that are brought into the store for repairs, trade, or sale. I don't have a problem with that, but they should be explicit at all of their stores. Maybe they only post the "good" sign at stores where people have complained?

Troy, the manager at the T.Haute Gander Mt has some sense about him. as he used to be the most reliable and reasonable guy around to purchase through. he used to be over the firearms section and now he is store manager.i kinda guessed that there would be little confusion as long as the people there had some sense. unfortunately some people who work at those places know nothing about what they are selling and don't care as long as the paycheck comes.:twocents:

now if only they would do something about prices

NEOCON

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Warrick county
    The policy at the Evansville dtore has been changed! to mirror the store in Terre Haute. They now have a sign that exempts permit/LTCH holders concealed carrying.
    I believe I can live with this myself. At least they aren't saying I cannot carry into their store.

Crystalship1

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2008
    Oaklandon, IN.
    The policy at the Evansville dtore has been changed! to mirror the store in Terre Haute. They now have a sign that exempts permit/LTCH holders concealed carrying.
    I believe I can live with this myself. At least they aren't saying I cannot carry into their store.

Good. I never got a response from my email but it sounds like some phone calls were made!!!! :yesway:
    :cheers:

NEOCON

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Warrick county
    I passed the phone # out to every gun guy at work and had them call right in front of me, also a bunch of people out on the job as well as family and friends. Don't know if that was the reason but I know I was responsible for at least 25 calls to the store that I know of.

40calPUNISHER

Master
    Rating - 99.1%
    116   1   0
    Apr 23, 2008
    I was at the GM in Greenwood the other night and saw a sign (I didnt stop to read it) that started out saying NO loaded firearms..... it was tucked away in the corner and had I not been looking for it I would have never seen it. Anyone know if Greenwood GM lets you conceal in their store? I pulled my shirt over my G22 in my fobus paddle holster that does not conceal very well. You can clearly make out the gun under the shirt..

Cwood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 30, 2008
    NE Ohio
    Yes the GM in Greenwood will allow a person with a LTCH carry. The last line or so of the sign say that LTCH are exempted.

Top Bottom