• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dr Falken

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    Well the less than $100 is out but get your Ham Radio license and you will be ready like me.

Here ya go, $89.99
    Puxing PX-777 PLUS VHF Hand Held Radio, with the option of VHF ham frequencies. No idea of how it works though.

Personally I would encourage all to get their ham license. There are a lot of plusses and not much downside, other than taking the test, oh, and studying to take the test! I guess in an emergency situation you could use ham frequencies and equipment, but better to be set up now. And compared to CB, has a lot more options, and overall better OPSEC, and to be honest, a different group of people monitoring.

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    Sorry no such device exists.
    (.....)
    There already exists a set emergency comm plan, and it uses ham radio. If you have one you will have the benefit of hearing information as it happens. Good intel.
    (.......)
    A six year old can pass the test, and the cost is $15. Ham radio is the best tool for this job.
    (.....)

Anyone know a ham testing site in Hamilton Co.?

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    I also like the idea of a CB radio for vehicles and shorter range communication. I presume their range has increased as well.
    Well, "legally", a CB can only transmit 4watts, good for a couple miles. With an amplifier, you can get it out 60-100 miles. Bear in mind, anything over 4 watts is a violation of the (no longer enforced) FCC law.

LCPer

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Anyone know a ham testing site in Hamilton Co.?

This page will help you find a US amateur license exam session near you.

4 found within approximately 50 miles of 46032

16-Dec-2009
    Sponsor: CHIEF ANDERSON ARC
    Time: 7:00 PM (Walk-ins allowed)
    (765)642-7291
    Email: WYAL@AOL.COM
    VEC: ARRL/VEC
    739 GENE GUSTIN WAY
    BLDG HANDICAP
    ANDERSON, IN 46011

19-Dec-2009
    Sponsor: MID STATE ARC
    Time: 9:30AM (Walk-ins allowed)
    (317)881-6531
    Email: HAMWHATAM@COMCAST.NET
    1101 HOSPITAL ROAD
    BASEMENT
    TEST FEE $15
    FRANKLIN, IN 46131

16-Jan-2010
    Sponsor: DELAWARE ARA
    Time: 9:00AM (Walk-ins allowed)
    (765)759-6131
    Email: WB9USA@ARRL.NET
    2005 S HIGH ST
    MUNCIE, IN 47302

20-Mar-2010
    Sponsor: DELAWARE ARA
    Time: 9:00AM (Walk-ins allowed)
    (765)759-6131
    Email: WB9USA@ARRL.NET
    2005 S HIGH ST
    MUNCIE, IN 47302

JD31

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2008
    Has anyone got any links to HAM study resources? (Already posted in other threads?) Now I am interested, and Christmas is coming up. Maybe I will alter my wish list.

Dr Falken

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    Has anyone got any links to HAM study resources? (Already posted in other threads?) Now I am interested, and Christmas is coming up. Maybe I will alter my wish list.
    I wish you luck! I really hope you carry thru and get that license. Getting set up with a radio isn't that expensive either, be it a mobile or an HT (handie Talkie).

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    My father told me about how the radio operators in Viet Nam may as well have had a large red target painted on their back and were usually the first ones to get it. I can't help but wonder if in a SHTF situation, the licensed HAM operators will be treated the same way as those with guns that were bought from a FFL(4473 on file). If there is a written record of your skills/guns on file somewhere, someone will find it and use that information to their advantage.

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    The .gov relies extensively on the ham's to help with Emcomm during emergencies. They do not have the network or manpower in place to handle this job.

There is a record for about everything we do. I see you bought 50 lbs of rice at Kroger using your kroger card, what are you prepping for?

Bada Boom

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 20, 2009
    West Indiana
    I have read through the posts in this thread and they very from one end to the other. From CB to get your Ham ticket. I have an Extra Class ticket but when the SHTF who cares. I'm all for getting into Ham if you have time and money but you can get some commercial radios working ham frequencies and others if you know what I mean. You will,in my opinion end up with a better radio by going commercial and a good old radio will cost you the same money. For a situation like this I would look for a Motorola Saber, Motorola HT1000 and there are others. Please keep in mind this is just my 2 cents worth and I don't claim to know it all. I do think it would be a good idea tho if we could settle on a frequency so we may pass messages across counties etc. VHF would prolly work better for that.

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    I agree that after SHTF who cares. But in the mean time I think that it is very useful to practice making contacts with all in your group. Do this monthly, practicing using your predetermined freqs and times and all the rest.

You are going to have a harder time training for this with out your ticket.

JD31

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2008
    I just tried one of the sample tests. Only got 60%, but I have never looked at HAM stuff prior to taking the test either. Thanks for the links. I have always thought about looking into it, but the Morse Code thing always seemed intimidating. Now, thanks to INGO, I know I don't have to do that to get started.

LCPer

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have read through the posts in this thread and they very from one end to the other. From CB to get your Ham ticket. I have an Extra Class ticket but when the SHTF who cares. I'm all for getting into Ham if you have time and money but you can get some commercial radios working ham frequencies and others if you know what I mean. You will,in my opinion end up with a better radio by going commercial and a good old radio will cost you the same money. For a situation like this I would look for a Motorola Saber, Motorola HT1000 and there are others. Please keep in mind this is just my 2 cents worth and I don't claim to know it all. I do think it would be a good idea tho if we could settle on a frequency so we may pass messages across counties etc. VHF would prolly work better for that.

The trouble with commercial radios most have to be programed and have limited frequency range. Ham radios have variable frequencies and multiple bands in most cases. The are much more versatile. And Yeah when SHTF all bets are off.

IndyGunSafety

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Fishers, IN
    I agree with the ham crowd! If you really want to be ready get a ham license and a cheap mobile unit that can be used as a base. Even if local repeaters are down you have so many options, and frankly if the SHTF, that IS where all communication is going to be.

ratfortman

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 21, 2009
    for those considering an attempt at a ham radio license,be aware that there is no longer a requirement to learn Morse code (CW) for any level of license.
    CW is still used by hams,but now we have alot of other "digital" modes available also. I still prefer the CW,and in a real SHTF scenario its about the simplest,most reliable mode.
    In the meantime,its a great hobby. Lots of opportunity for public service and friendship in general.
    (Freedom 95.9 in Franklin has been running some ads about ham radio lately. They are a little bit corny in their snippets of radio transmissions,but overall,are informative.)

Jay

Gotta watch us old guys.....cause if you don't....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    If the SHTF....for real..... the possession of a HAM license, might be grounds for persecution. Some vendors require a license before they sell you a radio...... some do not. If the SHTF, possession of a license is gonna be the least of ones concerns.... where possession of the radio might be better, license or not.

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    THANK YOU!!! That's what I've been saying. Besides, in a SHTF scenario (not a natural disaster, but an actual SHTF scenario) The gov WILL be monitoring and scrambling your Comm.

If you look hard enough you can find a way not to be prepared.

The .gov can not hit a button and black out all comms. This has been tried in other countries and failed. The problem is it also blocks out their own comms. They can do it on a local level, with modified helicopters (probably black ones) but who is going to be flying them? The obama brown shirt force? Talk to your Military and LE friends. If shtf like you say whose side are they going to be on?

The .gov has to be aware like we are that the vast majority of Hams are older engineer types. They are not going to kick down doors and start loading up the wheel chairs in vans.

They want you to talk so they can monitor you. You best bet is to be using the specified NIMS, FEMA, and ICS frequencies. There will so much traffic it will be harder to locate you. Swim like a fish among the fish.

Finally Ham is still somewhat complicated unless you want to be limited to a very short range. It is not realistic that you will be able to effectively communicate with out testing and using your antenna/coax/radio combo.

Top Bottom