• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • leftsock

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 16, 2009
    Greenwood
    I was at Atterbury on Sunday and 3 guys show up on the 50 yd rifle lanes. Well they showed up during a live fire and one of them starts to walk down range to post his targets! He made it out about 5 feet past the red line and the ROs started yelling at him. And not only did he decide to walk down range during live fire, he had people directly to the left and right of him firing at that moment. These guys got in trouble multiple times while they were there.

Shooters aren't allows to do any cross-lane shooting anyways, so he should be fine!

chris46131

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2012
    Franklin
    I was at Atterbury on Sunday and 3 guys show up on the 50 yd rifle lanes. Well they showed up during a live fire and one of them starts to walk down range to post his targets! He made it out about 5 feet past the red line and the ROs started yelling at him. And not only did he decide to walk down range during live fire, he had people directly to the left and right of him firing at that moment. These guys got in trouble multiple times while they were there.

That deserves a WOW! Everytime i have gone there, when i check in, the guy behind the counter asks if you understand how the range rules work. Even if you don't read them and you say 'yes' anyway, that one seems kind of obvious.

IndyKiller82

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 19, 2012
    Avon, IN
    That deserves a WOW! Everytime i have gone there, when i check in, the guy behind the counter asks if you understand how the range rules work. Even if you don't read them and you say 'yes' anyway, that one seems kind of obvious.

Well these guys were foreign and I don't think they were too fluent on English. They were probably just saying "Yes" without even understanding the questions.

But man that would be a scary and tight walk with rifle rounds on both sides of ya!

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    Sporting Clays - Multiple shooting positions where various hunting scenarios are simulated.

Skeet - a high tower and low tower on each side and you get clays along in front of you, right to left and left to right. Moving from station to station in a half circle gives you different angles and more coming at you can going away.

Trap - Launcher is 10-15 yards in front and clays fly away from you. Variation is "wobble trap" with launching them at different angles, but still generally away from you.

IndyKiller82

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 19, 2012
    Avon, IN
    Heh...stupid question..but what's the difference between trap and skeet? :):

I just want to see how the shotgun groups with certain buckshot brands so could I just shoot at paper with it on the shotgun range?

Someone correct me if I am wrong but when I went up there to shoot trap, I only could make out 2 trap stations and a 1 skeet station. I only shot one round of trap so I didn't stick around long to investigate that whole area so I didn't see anywhere you could post paper targets for shotgun.

FYI it is $6 a round for trap. You buy tokens for $6 and put them in at the station you go to.

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    Someone correct me if I am wrong but when I went up there to shoot trap, I only could make out 2 trap stations and a 1 skeet station. I only shot one round of trap so I didn't stick around long to investigate that whole area so I didn't see anywhere you could post paper targets for shotgun.

FYI it is $6 a round for trap. You buy tokens for $6 and put them in at the station you go to.

And if you are shooting a muzzle loading shotgun, it will time out while you load rounds and you have to manually start it again. :D Watched a guy do that, but he was a heck of a shot. :yesway:

Matt52

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2012
    i didnt know proper steel caused safety issues. i generally shoot paper to see if im still zeroed or trying a new distance. the reactivity of steel is what i personally like.

Well thats just it not everyone brought proper targets or even set them against the back stop. You would get people putting bowling pins and glass bottles about 30 yards down on the hundred yard range. Didnt say "proper" steel was unsafe. They just make it simple and put up their frames and you bring your own paper targets.

Matt52

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2012

I think 4 stations capable of both trap and skeet shooting but it depends from day to day which stations are set up for which.

woody24

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 16, 2012
    Westfield
    Got a question since we are talking about shotguns.

What about the Taurus Judge? My sister has one, and I've been trying to talk to her into coming to the range with me. The Judge shoots 410 and 45 Long. So obviously the 45 would be no problem. But I always wondered if the 410 would also be considered a something that they wouldn't allow. I'm Guessing not.

woody24

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 16, 2012
    Westfield
    I think 4 stations capable of both trap and skeet shooting but it depends from day to day which stations are set up for which.

The last time I was there, there were only two set up for trap. Which is what I wanted to do. There was a group of guys on one, and a single guy on the other. I had to wait around to shoot.

Was funny. I've never shot trap at an official range before. Just hand thrown clay in the fields. So I wasnt sure how it all worked. So I asked the gentleman what I needed to do. He gave me a look like "seriously?!? Are you asking me how to use your gun." I then quickly said that I go quail hunting, but have never used a setup like this before.

The guy instantly went from being short with me, to being the friendliest guy I've met. He told me about the areas were you stand, where to put the token. And even manually set the traps to show me what they look like to expect. Then he told me to yell "pull." I pulverized the first one. He patted me on the back, said "you're a natural" and went back to his truck.

I love when people help you when you're new to a place. New places are always intimidating to me, and I never want to do something wrong. So I always ask questions if I don't know. And sometimes you encounter people who just don't want to help. But the few people I've interacted with at Atterbury have been very helpful.

ederue

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 10, 2011
    targets are pricey take your own, and a staple gun. It is overall a fantastic and well run range. Shoot there all the time. They also have their FFL if you need to ship something in.

Top Bottom