• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bob2

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 24, 2010
    X...D...S!

I started out wanting and buying an LC9 mostly based on size and feel. After putting some rounds through it I thought well, when I get used to it I will shoot it better. Not. Bought the XDS .45 and couldn't believe how much more accurate I shot it right outa the box. It is a touch bigger than the LC9, but I don't notice a difference carrying it in a Remora holster. Unfortunately I don't think I have seen a post recall XDS for sale yet, but I am sure they will come soon, or you can buy a used one knowing you will need to send in.

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    I have the SIG P938. It's a good solid gun, and feels good in my small hands. I would look at the Shield and the Springfield XDs 9, too. I had the XDs 45, it is a nice thin gun, but there was something about the backstrap that hurt the web of my hand, I don't know if the 9 would be like that. I have small hands though, so that might not be an issue for you.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    Lots of love for the Kahrs here, and for good reason. I picked up a used MK9 a while back, and if the others are anything at all like this one, you would be hard pressed to find a better carry piece.
    My wife carries, from time to time, an PF-9, and my opinion of it is actually pretty high, even if it is a little rough around the edges. It was inexpensive, lightweight, and pretty accurate. The LC9 would likely be a more refined(and expensive) option, having a few more features, and better fit and finish.
    The only downside is, in small pistols like these, recoil can be an issue for some.

While I have not fired the Sig P938, I have looked a few over. They are very nice pistols, and feel good in my hand. They are a bit heavier than the polymer guns, but the added weight is minimal, and would hardly be noticed in a good holster with a sturdy belt. The up side of that would be better recoil control, and an excellent single action trigger.

As for an option that isnt on your list, and doesn't hit all of your requirements, I would recommend a J-frame revolver as an option. They are light, easy to carry, and with a bit of practice, capable of surprising accuracy. The only downside to it would be the 5 shot cylinder, though I have found it is easier to put all 5 rounds from it on target than it is getting 5 out of 7 with my LCP.

At any rate, you should do everything you can to try and shoot a few of them before you make your desicion, so that you can make an informed choice that fits your individual needs and preferences.

ajeandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Oct 25, 2013
    S. Indianapolis
    After some more research...I think I've narrowed it down to the Kahr CM9 or the kt pf-9...The kahr seems like its made better, also a bit more expensive, however I don't want my ccw to break if I need it, and I'd like to practice a lot with it. The CM9 also meets my size/weight requirements more than others such as the M&P SHIELD. I'm going to see how I like the feel of it in my hand and see what kind of prices I can find.

Jeremiah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Avilla, IN
    I am really fond of my Walther PPs, Best trigger I have felt on a compact, Single stack mags with 6,7,&8 rd options. Take down is just like a glock, the only real change is that it uses a european style mag release, But I don't mind that one bit.

Tyler-The-Piker

Boondock Saint
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    Jun 24, 2013
    ><(((((*>
    After some more research...I think I've narrowed it down to the Kahr CM9 or the kt pf-9...The kahr seems like its made better, also a bit more expensive, however I don't want my ccw to break if I need it, and I'd like to practice a lot with it. The CM9 also meets my size/weight requirements more than others such as the M&P SHIELD. I'm going to see how I like the feel of it in my hand and see what kind of prices I can find.

when it comes to your EDC it's worth the time and effort to save up the money and get something nice.
    don't try to save a few bucks here or there. get something with a quality reputation. you won't be sorry...

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013

Once you have decided, check LGS for pricing. Add tax. Then check gunbroker. Add shipping and the cost of FFL paperwork. The last CM9 I bought off gunbroker, I paid $350 plus $40-50 for shipping and paperwork and it had a spare mag. You won't pay tax unless the dealer you buy from is in Indiana. Midway is the cheapest I have found for spare mags, and they sell an El Paso holser I like too. Whatever your choice, if you look for a little bit, you most likely will find a good deal on gunbroker.

David D

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2013
    New Albany area
    I have the Kahr PM9 and love it (the CM9 is the same size, and would have the same feel). My PM9 eats whatever I feed it, and never misses a beat.

abnk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2008
    Without knowing your background, and since you're asking here, I have to assume you're new to carrying. That being out of the way, I'd recommend a used Glock 19 and a training class. Chances are high that you will not find the 19 too big or two heavy to carry. It's the perfect pistol.

If you have any communist in you, and it turns out that you do not like the Glock 19, you should be able to get pretty close to what you paid for it.

ajeandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Oct 25, 2013
    S. Indianapolis
    I'm sure the Glock 19 is a hell of a gun, but if I was going to go with glock, I'd probably stick to a glock 26 even still...it's probably too thick and heavy for what I want. I'm 5'10 145 and my clothing isn't very baggy so I want something that's easy to hide and light weight.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    The Kahr that you are looking at is very similar to a Glock 26, only its more slender, lighter in weight, American made, and had a few engineering improvements.

Kahr is to Glock what Smith & Wesson is to Taurus. Both will get the job done, the Kahr just looks better while doing it, with a touch of class.

sliptap

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 25, 2013
    Indianapolis

I love my Kahr CM9 and it is a very easy gun to conceal. I pocket carry it in my coat all the time with a desantis holster and also IWB carry with a Kydex holster.

If you get a chance to hold the PF-9, compare the Keltec's trigger to the Kahr's. I'm going to bet that will be the deciding factor for you.

Best of luck.

DagerOne

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2010
    Fishers, IN
    Timely thread for me, as I'm in the market as well. I'm a slim guy who regularly dresses in a fitted shirt and tie, so printing is difficult to avoid, and open-carry isn't an option. A lighter weight, slim frame 9mm carried on the small of my back or crossdraw is the plan (history of shoulder injury doesn't allow me to raise my elbow high enough rear-ward to carry strong side). Thanks to the OP for the question, and to the replies for suggestions. I'm thinking CM9/PM9 or Shield. I keep a Glock 19 at home, but it's too large for me to conceal.

Last edited:

MangoIN5

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 16, 2013
    Clinton County
    DagerOne, I have a friend with a similar draw issue, he actually turned me on to the crossbreed IWB holster, he wears right hand model on the left side as a crossdraw, with your build and attire listed it is very concealable, I can wear mine with anything inconspicuously. Part of it is the gun I carry the P938 very small and slim, and packs a punch. I have very large hands and it is very comfortable. If I wear a dress shirt alone with no overshirt/windshirt I use the 6 round mag if I have something to cover it I use the 7 round mag

ajeandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Oct 25, 2013
    S. Indianapolis
    A lighter weight, slim frame 9mm carried on the small of my back or crossdraw is the plan (history of shoulder injury doesn't allow me to raise my elbow high enough rear-ward to carry strong side).

The Diamondback DB9 is really thin and light weight, but I'm not sure how it's quality compares to your alternatives such as kahr or SW.

DB9 specs:

Width: .8" (wow thin!)
    Weight 11 oz (doesn't get much lighter than this...)
    Length: 5.6"
    Height: 4"
    Capacity: 6 + 1

Just so you know!

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    ... I've decided on going with a 9mm . . .

My key selling points are:

capacity: pref 7 round mag but I could settle for 6.

You've decided on a caliber. That's an approach I often suggest to folks, since the bullet is the weapon that acts on the target, not the launch platform. Pick the caliber based on the job you want to do.

However, I'm curious, how did you decide/what was the thought process in selecting the capacity?

24Carat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Newburgh
    Looking back on this choice, you would be doing yourself a disservice to not at least pick up and fondle a Beretta PX4 Storm Sub Compact. I've had one for 4 months now and will never look at another.

With 13 rnd mag
    View attachment 22635

With 15 rnd mag and spacer

Last edited:
    Top Bottom