What to do when stopped for carrying a long gun...?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    LoL, so much hate. I merely agree with the fact that if there is no reason to carry around an AR then why would you?

Reminds me of my brother stepping out into the street to cross, i'm like "dude you almost got hit" and he is like "Screw em, I have the right of way" and i just never understood how his right of way would help him when he was laying in the hospital or worse because someone ran him over.

Carrying an AR through a neighborhood could easily get you shot by an LEO, right or wrong aint gonna make the wound any better.

Like I said up thread, what if he cannot legally carry a handgun but can legally carry a rifle?

merotek

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 8, 2012
    New Albany
    What if Godzilla attacked us and Godzilla knew Wing Chun?

Please name all individuals shot by the police for obeying the law by simply carrying a long gun.

This one is in the last 24 hours: A 26-year-old man shot by police is in critical condition | Local & Regional News | Bakersfield Now - News, Weather and Sports I am sure I could find at least one a day every day for the last 10 years...

Now you will say, but he wasnt simply carrying a longgun, he was breaking the law.... How do we know? That was the point, a crooked LEO can say whatever he wants after he made a mistake and shot you... of course you were pointing the gun at him.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    This one is in the last 24 hours: A 26-year-old man shot by police is in critical condition | Local & Regional News | Bakersfield Now - News, Weather and Sports I am sure I could find at least one a day every day for the last 10 years...

Doesn't sound anything like a man just carrying a long gun minding his own business. Sounds like a man holding a long gun in his arms and refusing commands.

How about a story of someone being shot that is only carrying their weapon and not holding it in their hands.:dunno:

merotek

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 8, 2012
    New Albany
    Like I said up thread, what if he cannot legally carry a handgun but can legally carry a rifle?

No offense, but if he cannot legally carry a handgun, I definitely wouldnt want him walking around with a rifle, however that was not your original question and I apologize for getting so far off topic.

Your question was answered by several:

You are only required to identify in Indiana when you are suspected of committing a crime. The officer must be able to articulate his suspicion and it must be reasonable to a prudent person.

Carrying a long gun is not illegal in Indiana. You are not required to identify yourself.

merotek

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 8, 2012
    New Albany
    Doesn't sound anything like a man just carrying a long gun minding his own business. Sounds like a man holding a long gun in his arms and refusing commands.

How about a story of someone being shot that is only carrying their weapon and not holding it in their hands.:dunno:

You are missing the point, there will be no stories of that sort, because if the LEO does shoot the guy, then the story reads whatever the LEO says it should.

There is currently a video of a guy walking through a neighborhood with an AR on his back, he is videotaping and there are many witnesses, if he had been on a lonely street without a video camera, that story would likely be much different as well.

Again, I merely agreed with the thought "Just because you can, doesn't mean you should"

Car Ramrod

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Westfield
    No offense, but if he cannot legally carry a handgun, I definitely wouldnt want him walking around with a rifle, however that was not your original question and I apologize for getting so far off topic.
    Maybe he is 18 and not legally able to purchase a handgun, therefore he doesn't have one. However, he can legally purchase a long gun, and did such.

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    You are missing the point, there will be no stories of that sort, because if the LEO does shoot the guy, then the story reads whatever the LEO says it should.

There is currently a video of a guy walking through a neighborhood with an AR on his back, he is videotaping and there are many witnesses, if he had been on a lonely street without a video camera, that story would likely be much different as well.

Again, I merely agreed with the thought "Just because you can, doesn't mean you should"

Then i have to wonder why you feel the need to interject your opinion on what a grown adult chooses for himself? Just because you can, doesn't mean you should... :twocents:

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    I thought that is what we were all here for :(

Perhaps if the thread were titled, "Should I carry a long gun?" then I would have no argument against your opinion. It is afterall an opinion and therefore cannot be factually wrong unless supported by incorrect assumptions.

But this thread is "What to do when stopped for carrying a long gun?" and the opinion to not do so for whatever reason was not asked by the OP and since it has been discussed in many threads before it is simply garbage or spam in the never ending debate zone that is internet forums. The problem is that it leads to clutter and side debates of the subject path.

You are but a man with an opinion, an unfortunate side effect of starting said debate on a public forum wherer everyone is entitled to post whatever they want as long as it adheres to the rules set forth by the owner of said forum. As such I do not believe it is against the rules to post off topic clutter, so their is no reppercussions for those that do.

Very similar to those 2A supporters who choose to carry nonstandard equipment deemed "inappropriate" by some. Not too long ago OC and long gun carry would not have raised an eyebrow and were perhaps considered standard fare for much of the country for the better part of its history. Somehow there has been a paradigm shift and the Concealers (I am only referring to the close minded that only think their way is best) and the "Do no harm" crowd that includes the "think of our image" folks and the "Don't ruffle their feathers" advocates.

In the scope of history they are not only the minority they are the problem.

Liberty would come to reason that each man is responsible to himself and he alone. There is no worrying about what your neighbor is doing as long as he doesn't bother you. I can't get over the amount of people who claim to be pro-rights but want to tell others how they may exercise them. That is what the government has been doing to restrict our rights for years!

Don't be part of the problem.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Now you will say, but he wasnt simply carrying a longgun, he was breaking the law.... How do we know? That was the point, a crooked LEO can say whatever he wants after he made a mistake and shot you... of course you were pointing the gun at him.

Matt, the way I look it is: if we have to plan our behavior about what a "crooked" LEO may do, then you cannot do anything--drive a motor vehicle, walk down the sidewalk, shop in a store, have a break dance contest with rhino in the park, inter alia.

Some may decide that a potential police encounter is too stressful for them or that they have better things to do than talk to Officer Schmuckatelli but basing what I do on what a crooked LEO could do seems less than realistic to me.:twocents:

Faine

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 2, 2012
    Indy (South Side)
    Would I need to provide any information to the officer?
    Technically no.

I know I am not required to provide ID, but if asked for a LTCH and not carrying a pistol, would I still need to provide it?
    Yes, if an officer asks to see your LTCH you MUST show it to him, there is no stipulation on if you are carrying a firearm.

You don't need any permits, licenses, special permission slips to carry a long gun or shotgun, but would this be a case where I would need to show ID?
    No, the 4th amendment protects you. (it protects you from the law abiding more specifically)

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    Technically no.

Yes, if an officer asks to see your LTCH you MUST show it to him, there is no stipulation on if you are carrying a firearm.

No, the 4th amendment protects you. (it protects you from the law abiding more specifically)

One is not even required to carry their LTCH anymore. You can give them identifying information and they can call it in now.

merotek

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 8, 2012
    New Albany
    I feel like I have been hit by an 18 wheeler. LOL. I will have to put more thought in to future posts. Thanks for the schooling ;)

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Question, are police officers REQUIRED to tell you what infraction or ordinance violation your accused of?

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom