What to do when stopped for carrying a long gun...?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • public servant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    "Good day, officer. How are you this fi...."

*curbstomp*
    :):

Sheriff3.jpg

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    PR-WLAF
    Might want to cite some IC for this. You HAVE to ID yourself.

Showing an LTCH is where firearms questioning ends regarding handguns. Since it is not required for a long gun, you need to provide either an LTCH or ID yourself to get them from actually cuffing you and taking you in for refusal to ID. [what?]

IC 34-28-5-3.5
    Refusal to identify self
    Sec. 3.5. A person who knowingly or intentionally refuses to provide either the person's:
    (1) name, address, and date of birth; or
    (2) driver's license, if in the person's possession;
    to a law enforcement officer who has stopped the person for an infraction or ordinance violation commits a Class C misdemeanor.

By not IDing, you COULD be a felon with an illegal item in your possession. If you are not, why chance a misdemeanor?

By not ID'ing, ANYONE on the street could be a serious violent felon WOW. :eek: So can the police stop everyone and demand papers? Just in case?

REASONABLE and ARTICULABLE suspicion. Not just WAG or "could be"...

karatejoe

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2012
    Greenwood
    I having been a police officer for 10 years.What happens if a nervous trigger happy police officer stops you and accidently pops a round in you and then says you were going for your gun. ..well your dead and the officer is cleared. Just cause you can do it doesnt mean you should.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    I having been a police officer for 10 years.What happens if a nervous trigger happy police officer stops you and accidently pops a round in you and then says you were going for your gun. ..well your dead and the officer is cleared. Just cause you can do it doesnt mean you should.

Over the last 10 years how many people have you accidentally shot just because they had a gun and you were nervous?

Dwight

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 24, 2011
    Sheridan

With that frame of mind, I hope you are not really a police officer. Scary, dude...

I hope you don't misinterpret my move to retrieve my wallet to unnecessarily provide you my ID....

trapperDave

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Morristown, IN

officer is cleared because his dirty co worker backed his story :dunno:

CathyInBlue

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    That being said, I don't treat anyone any differently unless their firearm is pointed at me, a coworker, or anyone, or anything, else it shouldn't be pointed at.
    FTFY

Just because the object a person is pointing a firearm at is not a biological lifeform does not mean the firearm is pointing in a safe direction. Or would you do nothing until the trigger was pulled to fire a few rounds into your cruiser's engine block?

AndersonIN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2009
    Anderson, IN

So thank you for detailing EXACTLY why LEO's that want to take my gun out of my holster during a traffic stop are WRONG!

To quote YOU "Just cause you can do it doesnt mean you should". :laugh:

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012

1) That has absolutely nothing with ID'ing yourself on request.
    2) Really? :rolleyes:

Hi, friendly neighborhood LEO here. As Frank said, you wouldn't have to ID yourself since there's no reasonable suspicion for an infraction or ordinance violation. If I really want to ID you, there is nothing that prohibits me from watching you until you do commit an infraction or ordinance violation. I studied up on all the petty ordinances just for the open air dope dealers hanging on out corners. I learned real quick that there's lots of ordinances that even apply to pedestrians or bicycle riders, and then so did they. Even something with a $12 fine is enough for the Refusal to ID code.

merotek

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 8, 2012
    New Albany

THIS!

merotek

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 8, 2012
    New Albany
    Over the last 10 years how many people have you accidentally shot just because they had a gun and you were nervous?

It is ridiculous to be nervous that someone your stopping has a weapon? I feel nervous for every LEO when they make a stop, let alone stopping someone that has a weapon, I cannot imagine how tough a job it is.

If any of you say you would be not nervous or concerned walking down the street with someone coming toward you with an AR on their back, I do not believe you, and if it is true, then you ain't all there.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    It is ridiculous to be nervous that someone your stopping has a weapon? I feel nervous for every LEO when they make a stop, let alone stopping someone that has a weapon, I cannot imagine how tough a job it is.

If any of you say you would be not nervous or concerned walking down the street with someone coming toward you with an AR on their back, I do not believe you, and if it is true, then you ain't all there.

Being nervous is one thing. I'm nervous about people on a regular basis. But drawing on someone who's not actually committing a crime, and then SHOOTING them accidentally because you're nervous is another thing entirely.

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    PR-WLAF

nervous + trigger-happy + accidently + lie + officer = major fail = major wrongful death suit and/or crim reck conviction and career 'change' for said officer (honey, does this orange jumpsuit make my ass look big?)

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    nervous + trigger-happy + accidently + lie + officer = major fail = major wrongful death suit and/or crim reck conviction and career 'change' for said officer (honey, does this orange jumpsuit make my ass look big?)

BRB, grabbing my old graphing calculator. I think I'm going to need it to work out this equation...

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    FTFY

Just because the object a person is pointing a firearm at is not a biological lifeform does not mean the firearm is pointing in a safe direction. Or would you do nothing until the trigger was pulled to fire a few rounds into your cruiser's engine block?

I'm less worried about inanimate objects having a gun pointed at them. But yes, pointing a gun at my shiny new Charger would not end well for the pointer.

Burnsy

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2012
    NW Indiana

Never go to a gun store...
    Or a gun range...
    Or a gun show...
    Or the sporting goods department..
    Or housewares...
    Or
    Perhaps you should just stay inside. Not if you carry in your home though..don't want you making yourself nervous.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    And only if you are willing to tamper with evidence. That gun slung over the shoulder might work against you unless you move it to the dead mans hands

merotek

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 8, 2012
    New Albany
    LoL, so much hate. I merely agree with the fact that if there is no reason to carry around an AR then why would you?

Reminds me of my brother stepping out into the street to cross, i'm like "dude you almost got hit" and he is like "Screw em, I have the right of way" and i just never understood how his right of way would help him when he was laying in the hospital or worse because someone ran him over.

Carrying an AR through a neighborhood could easily get you shot by an LEO, right or wrong aint gonna make the wound any better.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Carrying an AR through a neighborhood could easily get you shot by an LEO, right or wrong aint gonna make the wound any better.

What if Godzilla attacked us and Godzilla knew Wing Chun?

Please name all individuals shot by the police for obeying the law by simply carrying a long gun.

Top Bottom