• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    stay away from downed trees or tree limbs , (timber rattle snakes)
    if you smell cucumbers , turn around and leave , this is a sign of a copperhead nesting area , or so I've been told.
    here are 2 pics of a timber rattler in brown county state park , note the color pattern and the solid black tail , all timber rattlers have this tail .

that is my brother in law , yes they walked right past this snake and when he realized what it was he just had to handle it thanks for the pics Phil !

YUM, YUM, a tasty snack!!!

kolob10

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    Beautiful Southern Indiana
    My son was bitten by a copperhead a few years ago. He was in the chicken coop cleaning and reched down to pick up a board. There was a copperhead under the board and bit him on the finger. He had been trained by me to remain calm (very difficult for hyper individuals - his mother), not to try and pursue the snake ( danger of another bite) get to help as soon as possible (house was 100 yards away. He did as he had been instructed. He knew the only native veemous snakes around was copperheads and on rare occasion a timber rattlesnake. By the size of the snake, it's coloration, and triangular shapped head he had enough info for the docs at the hospital. The bite was not severe enough for anti venum. There is always the rare possibility of a non native species of venemous snake
    appearing on the scene but most people couldn't identify those anyway.
    A couple years ago, a big boa was found in the local state forest.

I travel down south and out west for hunting/hiking and have made myself aware of other native species of reptiles in those areas. The best defense is education and awareness. Had a close call with a rattler in Wyoming when I was younger, more foolish, and invincible. Times change and so do we.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    . The bite was not severe enough for anti venum. .

First off, kudos for teaching your son how to keep his head about him.

Second, you're lucky he didn't need antivenin, that stuff costs a fair amount, anywhere from $500-$1k a vial with usually several vials needed, and the allergic reaction rate is high and can be more severe than the venom!

kcw12

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 4, 2008
    Step 1. Get Snake Bite Medicine out of pocket
    Step 2. Drink Snake bite medicine
    Step 3. Continue to Drink Snake Bite Medicine
    Step 4. If you followed the first 3 steps, you wont remember your bit.

My snake bite medicine is anywhere from 100-190 proof.

Top Bottom