• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • warhawk77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    I have a bonus coming and I want to blow it on cool stuff that family will enjoy shooting. Help me narrow down the choices.

What I want
    I like shooting rifles over pistols
    Huge military surplus fan
    Not buying for resale value but in 20 years it would be nice to have value for my kids.
    Has to have ammo available, don't mind ordering online

Options I have thought about so far

Mauser 8mm rifle-- These looks nice and are harder to find a good deal on one that hasn't been sporterized.

Swiss K31 -- These are like the Mauser but I like the history behind the mauser better so not really a option.

PPS-43C -- These are very cool. I have never shot one but they feel really nice in the hand and just look great. The ammo is a little higher and harder to get. But if I go with one of these i would want a Tokarev pistol to share ammo. Both are great historical firearms IMHO.

AK47 -- These are very cool. But the prices have not really dropped back down like most other firearms I have been looking at. And going $800-1000 for one of these I would be getting only one firearm. Where the others I could get 2 or maybe 3.

Mosin --all ready have a few of these. carbines, ex sniper and 91/30 don't have a Finnish one yet.

AR15 -- all ready have one. The prices have dropped back to "normal" not sure I want another one. Just like the AK the price is higher so it would mean only 1 firearm

Other Soviet era pistols -- I like these a lot and some could be EDC pistols. Real nice history but I have no experience with them

Am I missing any other cool ones?

2 151 INF

Shooter
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Apr 16, 2013
    South Bend
    I know they are a little salty, but an m1a is a really nice choice. You said you like rifles, and military surplus. Maybe a M1 Garand.:rockwoot:

warhawk77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    Thanks for the feed back.

I'm holding a 30-30 lever action for a family memeber for the next 5+ years so I have one to play with.

The m1 garand do look nice I will have to think about that one some more.

I do want a AK but its hard to pay more for a AK then I would a AR at the same store. Really hoping their prices come back down a little.

Talking to my dad he suggested I look at black powder pistols. Those look cool and are priced very nice. I could pick up one and still have cash left for a pps 43.

nra4ever

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    Indy
    Just look around. I found a nice lightly used ak for $550 today. Deals are out there u just need to do some looking around. More than what I had been paying but compared to today's prices not too bad.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    I have everything your looking at. Another one you didn't mention is an SKS, they are a darn good weapon. Only issue is that they have a fixed mag. You can buy other mags, but then need to buy some parts and do some work to make them 922r compliant.

The Swiss K-31 is a fine rifle (7.5X55) - nothing like the Mausers. It is a "straight pull bolt" action. Mine has a bore like new as do most K31's. They were issued too and maintained by one person, and as the Swiss use gun grease instead of oil, most are in 100% excellent condition. Mine has the added scope and is very accurate.

I have several Mausers, found a Turkish Mauser in a pawn shop last year - looked very rough. Picked it up for less than $125. The bore looked rough, after firing it cleaned up very well - actually one of the most accurate Mausers I own.

As mentioned the Garand is a great choice, I have 2, one I did some trading for at a Gun Show, second one I purchased at the CMP in Port Clinton earlier this year. Also have a M1 Carbine, bought several years ago, great little gun but prices have skyrocketed so don't think they are worth the money today.

The Swedish Mauser is a pretty accurate long range rifle - 6.5 x 55. Mine is more accurate than I am with its iron sights. Couple of others are the 1903 A3 (son has one), very accurate 30-06.

I also have a US Enfield (30-06) can't remember - think its an Eddystone, nice accurate rifle.

Hard to find decent prices on any of the above at Gun shows. best bet is to find individuals willing to sell. There are a lot of the Mil surplus in private hands that have been handed down and the current owners don't really care to own them!

warhawk77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    I didn't list the SKS because the prices are nuts, 2 years ago J&G had them for $200 now they are $450-500 for that price I would rather have the AK.

Thanks for the info on the swiss I like those but the mauser is just a piece of history.

I don't mind waiting and buying from private individuals for a good deal. And I have seen a few deals on AK pop up but been too slow on them.

The more I read on muzzle loaders the more I like them. Too many choices but not saying I want less choices, glad I have that many

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    AK-74.. Normally as cheap a centerfire ammo as you can get and too much fun.
    [FONT=&quot]NRA Life member [/FONT][FONT=&quot]GSSF member[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    Gunsite graduate Certified Glock armorer[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot]1911 Mechanic[/FONT]

Enkrypter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    Somewhere
    I think you should save up and get an M1A. It's by far the most valuable gun in my arsenal and she's a real looker. tons of ammo everywhere...

Garands are nice too. tons of ammo for them as well.

warhawk77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    I got the cash just need to find the right firearm.

I like the M1 Garands but something has keep me from picking one up. But if I find the right deal I will grab one for sure.

Top Bottom