What should I get for my temporary summer ccw?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Which gun should I buy?

• Total voters

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    Have a couple cop buddies with the SCCY (very comparable to the Kel-Tec P-11), and had a opportunity to give them a run-through. Very 'likeable', quite usable at 'self-defense ranges'. Have a lighter trigger pull than the P-11's I've owned at utilized, but I still prefer the P-11 as, for the same size handgun (with optional flush-fitting mags), ya have 12+1 of 9mm.

Nothing 'wrong' with the .380, but I just prefer the slightly better power (and variety) supplied by 9mm ammo. Didn't find the SCCY all that 'snappy', and quite easy to handle. But it IS a long DAO pull. That may bother some folks. :dunno:

SCCY comes out with the same type of 12 rnd. flush fitting mag, and I wouldn't hesitate to pick up a couple.

YMMV.

RND

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2014
    Westfield
    LCP would be a good choice - similar in size to the TCP, but it's reliable. If you shop carefully, they can be found for about $300 OTD.

I drink Ruger kool-aid (6702 and 1754), but would never carry a LCP because of three fellow employees FTF and FTE issues that occur repeatedly.

Midskier

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 25, 2012
    NWI IL/IN BORDER
    I guess I've just had good luck with most of undesirables already mentioned
    had a sccy cp2 ($200ish) ran perfectly over 1000 rounds like a fool I read into all the hype and sold it
    also have a LCP ($280)and it's eaten everything I've fed it , CW380 ($300) almost flawless - I know it
    will NOT feed fiochi, and it needs the slide released with the lever not slingshot, after that was figured out it's been perfect
    and it shoots like it's 4 x larger than the lcp
    tcp ($200ish)- coon fingered enough of them like the trigger and for the $$$ as good as any other
    for summer ccw go with the tcp it's within .1" length and height of lcp and actually narower
    for 9mm obviously add $100-$150 and you have a lot more choices, though the sccy for $230 -$250 is a good buy
    buy the one that fits your hand the best then learn what makes it tick and feed it what it likes
    I now typically carry a shield 9 or cw380

good luck

BrewerGeorge

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Plainfield
    I love the G26; I have one and carry it quite often. But it's nowhere near as tiny and easy to carry as a TCP. A G26 is a dream to carry with proper holster and belt setup, but a TCP can be carried without those things - just a pocket holster. I have literally put the TCP into the mesh pocket of swimming trunks (to drive up to the corner store when camping/wading, not to purposefully get the gun wet) and it worked fine.

I'm not trying to talk you out of a G26, but you came into this thread looking for a $200-ish very small pistol. Now you've doubled in price and size because everybody has been railing on the less expensive, smaller guns. Just be completely sure what you want.

Rockbear78

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 6, 2013
    Westfield
    OP i have to disagree with alot of the posters here. unfortunatly our gun culture has gotten itself into the mindset of if its more expensive its better! wich is simply not the case at all. Ive had my sccy cpx-2 over a year now, and have never had 1 issue with it ever, once a week i go to the range and put at least 50 rounds thru it, I had a back pin starting to work out slowly but never affected the gun what so ever and was a simple remove old, drive in new, that of course sccy had to me free of charge within 2 days. I would trust my life to my sccy anyday. My step dad bought a rather expensive ruger 9mm, pardon that i dont know what model so far its been back to ruger 4 times now. Ive not used the 380. Ive recommended the cpx-2 to any friend or family member that were looking for an affordable and reliable carry weapon. 6 of them have bought a sccy as well and all loved them. so there is a review from someone who has actually owned, does own, and does shoot the pistol.

output

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 13, 2014
    NW Indiana
    At the end of the day this is your choice to make...not ours. If you really want one of the pistols you named above get it. Take it to the range and see if it is reliable enough for you. I have hear people swear by TCP, and I have see people swear at them. I would not carry one but that is me. I have also read good reviews on the CPX-2 and bad reviews. Your best bet is finding a range that has a large rental selection and trying a few different pistols out.

Top Bottom