What should I get for my temporary summer ccw?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Which gun should I buy?

• Total voters

ajeandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Oct 25, 2013
    S. Indianapolis
    Sure. Instead of buying another gun that's not even close to the Glock 26 or M&P that you have now, use the money to buy lots of ammo and take a class.

That Glock 26/M&P that you have now can be easily concealed carried in these hot temps.

Apparently you're under the impression I purchased these firearms. I have neither. I wouldn't buy a sccy if I had a g26

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    AJ what handguns do you own if you don't mind sharing. (By this I mean own and willing to carry, I am not interested in a list or what is in your safe.)

This thread has been pretty harsh. Funny. True. But Harsh. :laugh:

I will vote for the Taurus TCP. 1) because the SCCY really sucks. 2) Out of all of the TCPs, LC380s, PM9s, P3-ATs, LCPs I have seen and/or shot, I have actually seen 1 TCP that actually worked right. Sorry if that sounds too much like a famous firearm persona. But the little pocket rockets really are finicky.

Have you considered a J-frame revolver? I have had a couple Taurus 85s over the years and they were OK. Wish I had one of them back.

If PSA has Ruger SR9c for $349 that would be the way to go. I am really impressed with those for the money. $349 is basically what instructor promotional pricing is.

12many

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jan 29, 2011
    over there
    Several years ago I went out to several LGS' looking for a SCCY or a Kel Tec P11and ended up coming home with a PF9. My rotation usually consists of a G36, PF9, S&W M36 and a S&W CS9. I have had the PF9 for around 3-4 yrs now and the only issue I have ever had with it is once when a niece's husband was shooting it and had a stovepipe. It's not my favorite gun to shoot as it is snappy although I can shoot it pretty well and I've never had any issues with it that would keep me from carrying it. Although my favorite is the G36 (love the soul killing .45) I believe I would look at Kel Tec before a SCCY. My FIL carries a TCP when he is on his HD and loves it.

YoungMilsurpGuy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 18, 2013
    Crown Point
    I would personally suggest a Bulgarian Makarov(very pleasent shooting gun for its size, and VERY accurate) or a Bersa Thunder(essentially a modernized knock off of a walther PPK). Both these guns can be had for under $300 dollars. Also, I really like the safety/decocker on the Makarov. You can chamber a round, then flip up the saftey to decock the gun and put it on safe. Then when you draw, you can flip down the saftey at the same time and the gun is ready to fire double action.

Why go with new polymer pistols of so so quality and snappy recoil when you can have proven, reliable, accurate, and more comfortable too shoot designs for the same price?

Last edited:

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    If PSA has Ruger SR9c for $349 that would be the way to go. I am really impressed with those for the money. $349 is basically what instructor promotional pricing is.

PSA also has the Shield 9mm for $359, so if you're able to save up for the SR9c, the $10 difference shouldn't be a stretch and it would give you another solid choice. Both are great carry guns from all I've heard. I don't own the Ruger, but I have the Shield and love it. A place called iAMMO has the Shield 9mm for $337, but I couldn't figure out what their shipping was. If you step up to the .40 Shield, Sportsman's Outdoor Superstore has them for $354 with free shipping (I think). I just noticed Botach has them $5 cheaper, so in that price range, you have some good options. I don't know anything about the other two guns you're asking about, but if reliability is a possible issue with them, I wouldn't carry either. Good luck finding something you'll like!

SpaldingPM

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 22, 2013
    Can you suggest something close to the same price then?

The only other 380 I'd consider is a kahr cw380, had a member on here recently have horrible luck with one...Spalding pm

I've owned a cm9 and a cw9

Anyone had any luck with the cw380?

Yes, I have had just about the worse experience ever with the cw380. That things was/is a cheap, garbage, pos, with the Kahr brand stuck on the side of it.

As far as the two choices go, well you know my answer out of the 2, but my first pick would be the M&P9 Shield, hands down, bar none. You can get one from PSA for like $359 right now

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Apparently you're under the impression I purchased these firearms. I have neither. I wouldn't buy a sccy if I had a g26

I was under the impression you had.

A quick search shows that you have asked about the Glock 26 several times. Why not just buy the Glock 26? As I said, it's a MUCH better gun than the ones in the list in the OP, and even better than the Kahr you're asking about in the other thread.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    I am very puzzled by this thread. If reliability is your number one concern, as stated, why would you be picking between two guns where under "Cons" you list reliability issues? I also don't understand this temporary summer carry thing. Do you have an EDC now? If so, what is it? Do you like it? Is it reliable? If the answers to these questions is yes, why would you change just because of the weather? Having read all of this my very first question would be why do you carry a gun?

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Give the guy a break and let him buy one of his choices. Get the SCCY cause there are less of them in the classifieds.

You knew the glock/M&P fans would chime in. So doing my civic duty I must recommend a small revolver.

Summer carry check
    reliable check
    accurate and fast check

I had to be the revolver guy in the room.

I'll join you...Maybe that way the "I guess you ride a horse to work" comments will be directed to someone besides me for a change...:cool:

Smith J frame 442 or 638...Reliable, historical, and juts plain nice.....

IMHO ofcourse.....

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    I'll join you...Maybe that way the "I guess you ride a horse to work" comments will be directed to someone besides me for a change...:cool:

Smith J frame 442 or 638...Reliable, historical, and juts plain nice.....

IMHO ofcourse.....

Now that's an idea I can get behind. :yesway:

copo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    nwi
    first and foremost your life and the life of loved ones may depend on it, if there are reliability issues don't even consider them. I just picked up a S&W shield 9mm new for 359.00. don't skimp on safety

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Have you considered a J-frame revolver? I have had a couple Taurus 85s over the years and they were OK. Wish I had one of them back.

Vert,

That was very nice....Very nice indeed...

I remember an article I read (by Ayoob) where a holster manufacture was speaking at a Gunwriters/Firearm Instructors conference and they were introducing a new line of CCW holsters...One of the writers raised his hand and said, "What gun are the first holsters going to be made for?" and the guy on the podium said, "J frame Smith's." Massad said the speaker then paused and looked at the crowd, smiled and said, "I know what guns you all write about and promote for your classes but keep in mind I also know most of you on a personal level and know what gun you all actually ALWAYS have on you..." Massad said there was a quiet chuckle from the whole room, nods of agreement, etc......

The point being???? J frames make nice summer carry guns.......I tried to rep you but alas...Like a Khardashian I need to spread the love around a bit first...(Who knew INGO would support loose morals that way?:):)

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    First gun I carried was a Charter Arms Undercover that my dad had. He finally sold that ratty old revolver this year and stepped up to a 3" Model 60 Pro Series chambered in .38 +P instead of .357. What a nice shooting gun.

Bought a used Model 85 off of INGO several years ago for about $200. All steel, heavy, excellent shooter. Thought my sister would want it but no go. I sold it on INGO because I figured why carry a 23 oz all steel snub when I had a Glock 23. This is the one I wish I had back.

Then I bought a used Taurus 850 CIA off of INGO. Lightweight, alloy gun. Shot OK. Not sure why I sold it. Tried other things. Figured out ultra compact autos basically suck.

Finally came around and bought a brand new Smith 642. Has a good gunsmith work the action over for me. It has become my grass mowing gun. Very easy to slip in my pocket when I get home from work. Hides in baggage well. Easy to check at the airport. Really these are just great little guns to keep around. It is sitting loaded right now in my little bedside safe as a dependable BUG.

Warsaw214

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Warsaw
    My neighbor's all carry 380's, so I was able to test the Taurus, Ruger, and Sig in .380. Both the Taurus and Ruger were light weight and snappy. The sig p238 quarter size grouping sold me, but I didn't like the $725 local price tag. I waited for a deal and ended up bidding a few times on gun broker, before I won it... NIB 2 mags (7&6rd) delivered for $520. I added a belt "pen clip" from Techna Clip for no weight & small print summer carry versus my Glock 23 for three season carry. Another consideration I had was this a lifetime investment and something I could eventually hand down to my son.

Top Bottom