What should I get for my temporary summer ccw?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Which gun should I buy?

• Total voters

ajeandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Oct 25, 2013
    S. Indianapolis
    I've pretty much narrowed it down to two choices for a temporary summer 2014 ccw. I realize these two choices aren't high dollar guns but I thought I'd give one of the two a try. I've done a lot of online research on both of them.

Taurus TCP 380 or SCCY CPX-2 9mm

PROS

TCP
    • Slimmer than the cpx-2 (.9~")
    • No safety
    • Smaller size easier to conceal
    • .380 *less felt recoil than the CPX-2?
    • Price! $236.00 Shipped new unless anyone else knows where to get one cheaper!? (comes with 2 magazines)

CPX-2

• 10 round capacity vs 6 round in Taurus
    • No safety
    • 1" width with new slide release despite being double stack
    • Outstanding warranty
    • Price $220~ New (with 2 magazines)

CONS

Taurus TCP

• .380 Really the only con I'm going to mention here is the price of .380 is more than that of 9mm, 9mm in this gun's size would be too snappy for me.
    • Mixed reviews on reliability
    • 6 round capacity
    • Width could be smaller with only being a single stack

SCCY CPX-2

• Snappy recoil
    • Mixed reviews on reliability.
    • Very long double action trigger pull and reset.
    • Possibly the grip? I don't have huge hands so I"ll have to handle one to see if this is really a con or not.

My Priorities

• Reliability
    • Concealability
    • Manageability (Place shots quickly accurately)
    • Value

What do you guy's think? It's really just between these two for now due to budget restrictions. Regardless of what I Get I'll end up putting a good 200+ rounds through it to test for reliability before I carry it and rely on it.

Once again...I realize there are potentially higher quality better options out there, but for now, this is what I have it narrowed down to.

8th SPS USAF

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 8, 2011
    Hobart , In
    Neither Look around for higher quality pistol. I my friend had nothing but trouble with his two Taurus , don't know anything on the SCCY, other than read about them. Checkout Shield, KAHR. Good luck

fundy87

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 26, 2013
    Southern Indy
    A lot of the problems with the sccy that I had experienced personally was that it was testy with ball ammo. It fed and cycled hollow points with no issue

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    ...Taurus TCP 380 or SCCY CPX-2 9mm . . .

You identified a con for both as; "mixed reviews on reliability," and yet you list one of your priorities as, "reliability."

Well, I do think you have your priorities straight. Potentially life-saving gear should be reliable.

So, there you go. None of the above.

ajeandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Oct 25, 2013
    S. Indianapolis
    Can you suggest something close to the same price then?

The only other 380 I'd consider is a kahr cw380, had a member on here recently have horrible luck with one...Spalding pm

I've owned a cm9 and a cw9

Anyone had any luck with the cw380?

Last edited:

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Can you suggest something close to the same price then?

Sure. Instead of buying another gun that's not even close to the Glock 26 or M&P that you have now, use the money to buy lots of ammo and take a class.

That Glock 26/M&P that you have now can be easily concealed carried in these hot temps.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Sure. Instead of buying another gun that's not even close to the Glock 26 or M&P that you have now, use the money to buy lots of ammo and take a class.

That Glock 26/M&P that you have now can be easily concealed carried in these hot temps.

I'm going to need you to stop dropping truth bombs until I can spread the love around a bit.

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to lovemachine again.

Tomc1947

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    YODER
    Can't comment on a Taurus , but I've had 2 SCCY's.

SCCY's are OK but there are lots of better options if you look around. I never had any major issues, in one word, they go "Bang".
    every time, but I found accuracy to be another matter---combo of brand of ammo and the trigger.
    You mentioned recoil and the grips. I didn't find either to be a issue, as a matter of fact, the SCCY felt real good and I have small hands....and their customer service is great. I called once with a magazine issue and their response was to send me another and their mailroom might have screwed up because they sent 2...no charge..If I needed another inexpensive gun(notice I didn't say cheap), I'd have no problem getting another SCCY.
    All that said, I've moved on to better guns, but not much more money. I have a Canik 55 Shark C and a CZ70 that are my current EDC's.

Last edited:

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    Kind of an unusual choice. I agree with the Glock 26 over the SCCY. They are very similar in size, and even though I am not a Glock guy, I would definitely pick it over a SCCY. If you want smaller, 2 great choices for just a little more money would be the Shield or the CM9. If money did not matter...the Sig P938 or P238 would be at the top of my list. I have experience with both pistols you had narrowed it down to, did not care that much for them. Maybe a little better than throwing stars or rocks though.:):

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Give the guy a break and let him buy one of his choices. Get the SCCY cause there are less of them in the classifieds.

You knew the glock/M&P fans would chime in. So doing my civic duty I must recommend a small revolver.

Summer carry check
    reliable check
    accurate and fast check

I had to be the revolver guy in the room.

k1500

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2013
    West Lafayette
    Neither one. You've put "mixed reviews on reliability." If there is one property that any carry gun must have is reliability. Beyond a shadow of a doubt, you want to know that when you pull the trigger, it will go bang. You want the first round in the pipe to fire. You want every last round out of that magazine to fire.

I'd say to raise your spending amount and buy something with high reliability. Rural King just had an ad this week for a Ruger LC9 for $330. You could also opt for something like an M&P Shield or a baby Glock.

http://www.gunsandammo.com/2012/09/17/8-quality-carry-guns-for-under-400/

IndyGlockMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    Fishers
    Obviously price and size are your main concerns...
    Both of those choices leave a lot to be desired.
    You don't have to carry a small gun to conceal well.
    I carry a Glock 19/23 year round, so it can be done.

If you can scrape together a little more cash, the S&W shield or Beretta Nano are both great, and around $400
    Another to consider is the Kel-tec PF9. They have received pretty good reviews by Nut'nFancy on youtube.

Remember, you get what you pay for.

Top Bottom