• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • smiley69_300

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 11, 2009
    Ripley County
    I just recently applied for my lifetime permit to carry. I figured I would go ahead get that part out of the way before I went and bought a gun. I have a few questions and I seriously have no clue about guns. My wife and I are planning on going to a gun show in December in Seymour, Indiana. I just wanted to get some ideas on what to look at. I want something pretty easy to carry but not real small. I doubt I carry it in public much at all. But we do a lot of camping on the Ohio river and plan to carry it there every weekend. I do plan on learning how to shoot it properly and all that. If I have my permit at the gun show and buy a gun. Will I get to take it home that day? Or do they still have to do a background check and stuff? Right now not looking to spend more than $200 or $250 for the first gun. :ingo:

Sorry for making it so long.

cce1302

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Back down south
    I assume you have some friends that live near you and enjoy shooting. Find one of them that you know to be responsible and ask him if he'll teach you to shoot and show you a couple of his handguns.

We're all pretty smart here, but we don't know you very well, and I think that one of your friends that knows you and knows guns and can watch how you shoot could probably answer this better than any of us.

I know it's kind of a non-answer, but I hope it helps. I don't want you to hear "<insert whatever gun here> is the best" and go buy it and find out that you really don't like it, can't shoot it, think it's ugly, decide you don't like guns at all, and want to get rid of it.

Welcome to INGO!

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    you are going to get a barrage of recommendations. for $250, your budget is pretty limited. i will get flack for this, but you can get a S&W Sigma 9mm/.40 for $250 after rebate. i have one; my first semi-auto. Gun has been 100% reliable. people complain about the trigger, but since i didnt know any better, the trigger has never bothered me. i picked up a bersa thunder 380 for about $230 plus tax last week. but ammo is kinda scarce for this caliber.

I might consider saving up a bit more. once you get to the $400-500 range, a lot more options become available. I think a glock 17 or 19 would make an excellent first.

You should find a shooting range that rents guns and try out a bunch. see what you like and what you dont like.

theweakerbrother

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Bartholomew County, IN
    Try to shoot as many guns as possible before buying one to see what you like. A Glock 19 is a great all around pistol and ammo is relatively inexpensive. If you want a wheel gun, take a look at a Ruger SP101 in .357. They come in a variety of barrel lengths and if you get a .357 magnum, you can shoot light loads or .38 Specials through the gun.

If you cross the state border into Ohio, know that you can't legally take your gun with you concealed unless you obtain a Utah or Florida out of state permit. Ohio does not honor Indiana's permit.

Welcome to INGO!

Steve

Master
    Rating - 100%
    87   0   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    I would recommend finding a gunshop or range that rents various handguns, buy some ammo from them, and shoot 3-6 different guns. 3 boxes of ammo in various calibers that will interchange in various handgun models will go a long way in answering your initial question. Try to rent 2 different 9mm, 2 different .40 cal, and 2 different .45 cal handguns. Maybe a wheel gun or 2 if you're so inclined. It will be money well spent.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    $250 would pay for the NRA Basics class for both you and your wife. It will teach you to shoot, how to responsibly handle a firearm, and give you a better idea of what the right gun for you might be. ;)

tackleberry65

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 20, 2008
    speedway
    I don't really have a recommendation, just something to consider before you buy your first gun. Ammo is kind of scarce right now. Figure out what ammo you can actually get your hands right now before you buy a pet you can't feed. :twocents:

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    How much shooting experience, do you and your wife have? For a lot of newer shooters, I reccomend a revolver. They are easier to learn, and less moving parts. A .38 snuby would be a good choice, as you can put it about anywhere. Pocket, purse, ankle, etc. However it does not have a great maximum affective range, do to the short barrel. Next you have the .357 mag. Which you can also fire .38's trough. I personaly would not go with anything shorter then a 3" barrel. Revolvers in my opinion make a better gun, for woodsy areas. Now if you are looking for a semi-auto. I would possibly look at a 9mm sub-compact. Springfield Xd, and S&W M&P are two great choices. If you want something a tad biger, I would personaly stay under a 4" barrel for carry. I prefer the .40 for a carry round, but that's just my personal prefrence. I also agree that's a tight budget. I would save, as it will allow you alot more options. Try to shoot, as many guns as you can before you make a decesion. Find something both you, and your wife can compromise on. :twocents:

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    $200-$250 is tough.

You might be able to find a used S&W Sigma or Ruger "P" series in 9mm or .40 for that price. Both are reliable, but the Ruger is a bit chunky for carry.

Kel-Tec P-3AT and P-11 are in that range, but I would not recommend them for a new shooter.

A S&W 22-A, Ruger Mark III, Browning Buckmark are highly recommended for new new shooters, but are .22's and I can't recommend that caliber for self defense, and aren't "carry" guns.

The Bersa Thunder .380 is in the range, and I can recommend it.

I bought a Ruger Service Six .357 Magnum for $235 a few years ago but prices seem to have jumped somewhat on the Speed Six, Service Six, and Security Six in recent memory ($300-$400) but would be my top recommendation for carry/home defense/new shooter that is almost in your price range.

wtfd661

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    North East Indiana
    I would definitely recommend a Ruger P series gun in 9mm for you. Yes they are kind of "chunky" but since you said your not going to carry that often and mainly want it for camping, then it would be the gun for you. Easy to learn, very easy on the shooter (softest shooting 9mm i ever shot) and you should be able to find one close to your price range.

Another gun I would recommend to you would be a Smith & Wesson 5906 9mm (or any of them in the 5900 series) again they are a very tough reliable gun that is easy on the shooter. They might be a tad bit more expensive but you may find one in the 300 dollar range.

I would stay in the 9mm range for guns right now. 9mm is a good defensive round (with Hollow Point bullets), better known as JHP (or Jacketed Hollow Points). You can buy 9mm FMJ (Full Metal Jacket or "ball" ammo, which is a somewhat rounded solid bullet) for practice on the range and in training an use the JHP rounds for defensive carry.

Good for you for asking advice and realizing the need for training before using or taking the gun camping. :rockwoot:

One last thing I would be very careful at a gun show, take someone with you who knows handguns to make sure you are getting a good one. If you can I would just make a day and travel to your local gun shops (or travel throughout the state) and look there, most of them sell used guns and members on this site near your location can guide you to a good/helpful shop. Try to go at a slow time so they can have the time to really talk to you.

Up here in Northeast Indiana (Bluffton, In.) there is a gun shop called 21st Century (they are a site supporter for INGO) they are GREAT people to deal with and will gladly take the time to help you.

alfahornet

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 25, 2008
    I just recently applied for my lifetime permit to carry. I figured I would go ahead get that part out of the way before I went and bought a gun. I have a few questions and I seriously have no clue about guns. My wife and I are planning on going to a gun show in December in Seymour, Indiana. I just wanted to get some ideas on what to look at. I want something pretty easy to carry but not real small. I doubt I carry it in public much at all. But we do a lot of camping on the Ohio river and plan to carry it there every weekend. I do plan on learning how to shoot it properly and all that. If I have my permit at the gun show and buy a gun. Will I get to take it home that day? Or do they still have to do a background check and stuff? Right now not looking to spend more than $200 or $250 for the first gun. :ingo:

Sorry for making it so long.

As already stated you get to take it home unless there is a hold on your approval. Generally my transfers are instant but I've had holds for (somewhat unknown reasons) on a couple.

I would recommend looking around at the gun show and just try to get a feeling for waht handgun you may like best. $200-250 may be a bit low. Personnally I would have recommended a Glock or an XD but both are at least twice that used. In regards to buying your first gun, you may be better of buying your first handgun from your firendly local dealer. My wife and I bought our first gun a couple years ago and neither of us had much experience with handguns. I had shot them before but never handled Glocks, which was what we ended up buying. The dealer probably took about close to an hour to explain us the pro and cons, how to take it apart, clean it and so forth, he went way above and beyond to make sure we knew what we were buying and to make us comfortable taking it apart, cleaning it and so forth. I know most dealers won't do that but it's also something you generally don't see happen at a gun show. Now this is nothing you can't learn on your own or a friend can show you but it really put my wife at ease having the dealer sit down with her and explain all of it to her. Plus buying it locally, if you have questions you can always call em up or go in and ask, if the dealer is half way across the state, it's more difficult. But to check out different guns or to get a good price gun shows are great. My :twocents:

Jay

Gotta watch us old guys.....cause if you don't....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    I'd suggest you buy a handgun that feels good in your hands. If it doesn't feel "right" in their hands, most folks won't shoot it enough to become proficient with it.

Not sure where basketball came from.

Indecision

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2009
    Fort Bragg, NC
    I'd suggest you buy a handgun that feels good in your hands. If it doesn't feel "right" in their hands, most folks won't shoot it enough to become proficient with it.

Not sure where basketball came from.

He was making a joke about you saying you should buy a gun for the same reason you buy shoes.

As for a gun, as everyone else has said, I would save up a bit more, you are at a very difficult price point. I also agree with the "$250 will get you both in a NRA Basic Pistol Course" comment. Although some of the site supporers including Jay can do it for a much more reasonable price. I would recommend that. Then save up for a gun. I would say a Glock or XD 9mm in whatever frame size you are comfortable with personally, but that's about twice your price point..

fg12351

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Fishers
    +1

$250 would pay for the NRA Basics class for both you and your wife. It will teach you to shoot, how to responsibly handle a firearm, and give you a better idea of what the right gun for you might be. ;)

This is what I did and I HIGHLY recommend it!

Big Hank

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 26, 2009
    You mentioned the Seymour show, so I'll post a recomendation if you end up in the market for a Glock. When you enter the building there is a guy that always sets up to the right when you pass through the door. He has the one of the largest ammo displays in the building. A few weeks ago he had a case of former Police issue Glocks $325 each. I really don't think the Police use these enough to say they are worn out, usually just holster marks.

Top Bottom