• ...and so much more!
  • OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    ok, seems like every post on here is a depressing news alert that I missed more ammo. I have acquired a lot of brass since its about all I can find. I need to clean it all now and was curious what everyone used as cleaning media in their tumblers and why?

I know some use multiple media for different passes but I'd really rather just have 1 type, maybe 2 if its convincing. Anyway, Give me your opinions on what you use and why.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    Corncobb and walnut...b/c thats what Indygunworks uses and he cleans my brass. And that is jsut a guess at that!

corncob media... bought in bulk 8# bags from midway.... and FLITZ media polish.... i turn the tumbler on at night, and by morning brass looker better than new
    dont use walnut but if you want shiny brass in just a few hours then use its... its a bit more abrasive than corn cob.... also, if you have some SUPER dirty brass i have heard that kitty litter does a pretty good job at knocking the junk off in 30 minutes or so then switch to corncob or walnut....

this is in a vibratory tumbler.... times are sped up considerably when you use a rotary case tumbler but those are more expensive

this is the tumbler i use... it comes with a tumbler seperator media polishing compound and bucket to use with the seperator... i have found that it will do EVERYTHING i need out of a tumbler although it can be a bit messy when seperating the media from the brass
    Frankford Arsenal Quick-N-EZ Case Tumbler 110 Volt

trans.gif

Enlarge
    Video
    Product #: 587176
    Our Price: $52.99
    </SPAN>
    Should Ship Today

Quantity
    trans.gif

wishliststar.jpg
    Add Product to Wish List

friendpage.jpg
    Send this Page to a Friend

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    The dirt sticks to paper towels, keeps the media cleaner.

It's the little tips that seem to help the most. I might have to try that as well.

I already have a tumbler. I have the small Dillon and I use the Frankford Arsenal media seperator.

mospeada

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Bloomington
    It's the little tips that seem to help the most. I might have to try that as well.

I already have a tumbler. I have the small Dillon and I use the Frankford Arsenal media seperator.

I've heard dryer sheets work as well. I'm lazy and media is cheap, so I just tumble away (rotary).

Old Syko

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Drier sheets help collect the dust and lead deposits for easy disposal. I use walnut media with a shot or two of liquid polish added. In a vibratory tumbler if you're running a batch more than an hour or so with this combination you're just wasting your time. Corn cob gets stuck in flash holes and gets packed in small capacity cases. Not worth the trouble!

If you have extremely dirty and tarnished range brass, load the tumbler with corn cob and a generous amount of mineral spirits to totally moisten the media and alow to run for 2 hours or so until the mineral spirits evaporates and you're good to go. This is the preferred method of most commercial reclaimers.

perminator

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    east side indy
    i use corn cob for my pistol brass and walnut for my rifle brass so it dosen't get stuck in the neck with a shot of brass polish. i get all of my media from the pet stores.

jlm223

Aim Small Miss Small
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Jun 22, 2009
    Muncie
    I have heard if you use brass polish that contains ammonia in it is bad for the brass over time, I tumble in walnut, deprime, re size, then tumble again in corncob with Fritz brass looks real nice. :twocents:

DHolder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Mooresville - MSG2 Hub
    I clean with a mix of corn cob and automotive rubbing compound. Put a squirt of compound in the cob and run untill mixed, add brass and a dryer sheet, tumble for an hour at most. Separate brass and media, fill tumbler with a mix of corn cob and uncooked rice, add brass and dryer sheet, another tumble and your ready. The longer you tumble the more shine, clean is all Im looking for.

45-70

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2008
    Cale
    Walnut with Victory #3 liquid car polish except large straight walled cartridges where I use a mixture of walnut, polish and ceramic. Just a tip, thoroughly mix the media and polish before adding the brass. Additionally, walnut is much cheaper when purchased from a pet supply store in the #25 bag.

Last edited:

Northport_brian

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2010
    Pendleton
    I mostly use corn cob media with Frankford Arsenal Brass Polish in a Lyman vibratory case cleaner. After about 3 or 4 hours my pistol brass comes out clean and with a high shine. After using the media for 3 or 4 batches, I run 3 sheets of cut-up of paper towel thru, and that sure does pick up a lot dirt from the polish media.

Top Bottom