• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • obijohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Terre Haute
    you might be able to list JUST the lights, but if you added the pistolas and the knives to the list, you WOULD exceed available bandwidth. hehe.

you know what they say about someone with big pockets...they can carry loads of stuff. i'm always glad to hang out with the rhino. then i don't have to carry so much myself. hehe.

I'm not sure this forum has enough disk space for me to list the lights I carry all the time.

cougar_guy04

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2008
    Lookin' for Galt's Gulch
    I carried a Rayovac 3 Watt LED light all of last year, but just nixed that for the aforementioned Fenix P3D. It's a beauty, that's for sure. I think I'll be carrying it for awhile. I love that it has the different light settings because, let's face it, not every lighting situation calls for 215 Lumens of output.

I'm not sure this forum has enough disk space for me to list the lights I carry all the time.
    :lmfao:I don't doubt that one bit, I'm getting the same way. After the time I was caught in a blacked out Residence hall without a light in my desk or on me, I can't seem to have enough of them. I think the current inventory is (2) 4 D-Cell Maglites, the Rayovac, the Fenix, a G2, a couple Maglite Solitaires, a S&W LED/Xenon Combo light, about 4-5 cheapo 9 LED lights, a modded Rayovac cheapo (bumped it to the same output of a G2 or G3), Sureifre M951 . . . and those are the ones I can remember having in the bedroom or car.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    :lmfao:I don't doubt that one bit, I'm getting the same way. After the time I was caught in a blacked out Residence hall without a light in my desk or on me, I can't seem to have enough of them.

Yet another Rose-Hulman connection. My penchant for flashlightery started when I was in the showers of the old fieldhouse when the power went out. I was washing my hair at the time so my eyes were closed when it happened, and when I opened them my first thought was that I had gone blind (not joking). No emergency lights or even a faint glow in there! Then it happened AGAIN a few weeks later, but that time I realized the power was lost.

After that, I always had either a 2AA or 2AAA mini maglight on my person or in my book bag. Then when I was in grad school at UC Berkeley, power went out across the whole campus one day. I was in my lab, which was in the basement of a building. Again, pitch black. No problem, I think ... I have my mini maglight. Except the batteries were dead, dead, dead.

Since then, I always have light with me. Unless I am in the shower, I have at least one back-up light source, even when I'm just around the house. The minimum is a Photon Freedom hanging on my neck chain plus a SureFire G2 with a drop-in Cree LED module in my pocket. When I'm out of the house ... the complement of lights is ... more significant.

I have one G2 with a Cree LED on my belt, and another box-stock G2 on my belt as back-up to it, or if I need to use a light when it's dusty/foggy when LEDs don't do well, even if they produce monster lumen numbers. Those lights are for emergency use. For utility use, I have chinese light with a Cree LED emitter that uses two CR123A cells and clips in my pocket. In addition, I have my photon on my neck chain, and a Chinese knock-off of an older model of Photon on all of my keychains (both primary and backup keys). I also sometimes have a single CR123A cell light with a Cree emitter in my shirt pocket. When I know I'm going to be out after dark (like nights when I'm the last instructor to leave campus), I usually have another G2 with a Cree LED in my hand.

That doesn't count all the lights I have stashed in strategic locations in the house or my vehicle or my book bag or my jacket pockets when it's cold outside. :D

Some of the guys at Marion Co. F&G enjoy teasing me about the number of lights and knives I carry. I understand their perspective, but I wonder how many of them have been caught in a situation where they absolutely needed a light, didn't have one, and couldn't get one. One time is enough of a lesson for most people, and three times is enough to convince you that one is none and two is one.

Last edited:

TomN

'tis but a flesh wound!
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    Elkhart
    Yet another Rose-Hulman connection. My penchant for flashlightery started when I was in the showers of the old fieldhouse when the power went out.

I'm sorry Rhino.. I got to this point and was too scared to read any further. :runaway:

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Dear Penthouse Letters,

Yet another Rose-Hulman connection. My penchant for flashlightery started when I was in the showers of the old fieldhouse when the power went out. I was washing my hair at the time so my eyes were closed when it happened. . .

Ahahahaha

Ri22o

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2008
    Speedway
    Here are some updated pictures of my EDC stuff.

Glock 19
    MTAC Holster
    Fobus double mag pouch
    2 Glock 17 mags
    Inova X1 Flashlight
    CRKT KISS Knife
    My cellular telephonic device

l_9fe7e8dfe3f64da17b1e5c36a4d54dad.jpg

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    Yet another Rose-Hulman connection. My penchant for flashlightery started when I was in the showers of the old fieldhouse when the power went out. I was washing my hair at the time so my eyes were closed when it happened, and when I opened them my first thought was that I had gone blind (not joking). No emergency lights or even a faint glow in there! Then it happened AGAIN a few weeks later, but that time I realized the power was lost.........

One time is enough of a lesson for most people, and three times is enough to convince you that one is none and two is one.

So what do you do when your main is dead, your back up is dead, and your spare battery case is empty??? Mike knows the answer.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Hey, if my back-up is dead, then I still have my back-up back-up, and my back-up back-up back-up. That's not counting my reserve lights. And of course the blue glow I can now produce if I try really hard. :D

opus1776

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Originally Posted by rhino
    Hey, if my back-up is dead, then I still have my back-up back-up, and my back-up back-up back-up. That's not counting my reserve lights. And of course the Purple glow I can now produce if I try really hard. :D

Fixed it for ya! :thumbsup: :p

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Ouch! Purple is blue plus red ... which implies long term non-use combined with some kind of abrasion or other injury.

Let's not dwell on that too long. Move along, now. Nothing more to see here. Return to your homes.

IDCC

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Orange County
    I carry a new L1 at work, as well as a G2 and Maglite AA with the LED upgrade. When I am off I carry a E1B and the L1. My wife has a G2L in her purse. We both have ASP keychain lights too.

nofear

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2008
    Indy
    Rhino, so whats with your Cree replacement LED's? Are they better light, lumens, refraction, battery power? Where do you find them. I google'd it and the man cree website is more for manufacturers.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    DealExtreme: Cool Gadgets at the Right Price - Site-Wide Free Shipping (Page 1)

LEDs last essentially forever and don't break when you drop them. The Cree LEDs put out insane amounts of light. The drop-ins I have are much brighter than a standard G2 or even a G2L. I haven't pushed the batteries yet (I change them before they get close to being done typically and then use them one at a time in another light).

pmpmstrb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2008
    DealExtreme: Cool Gadgets at the Right Price - Site-Wide Free Shipping (Page 1)

LEDs last essentially forever and don't break when you drop them. The Cree LEDs put out insane amounts of light. The drop-ins I have are much brighter than a standard G2 or even a G2L. I haven't pushed the batteries yet (I change them before they get close to being done typically and then use them one at a time in another light).

Has anyone done a draw test on them to see the life? I'm really interested in the 100%-50% curve on them. Until then I'll stick with my Inova Xo

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Apples and oranges. Inovas and others like Fenix are mid-range, high quality, complete lights that cost a significant amount.

By contrast, the drop-in modules I mentioned are for people who already own a SurFire G2 or 6P. They can get a high-output LED for $10-$13 (no shipping charges). How they perform compared to an Inova is not important to me. How they perform compared to the standard G2 lamp does, and they dwarf the amount of light the incandescent G2 can produce.

Ri22o

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2008
    Speedway
    Apples and oranges. Inovas and others like Fenix are mid-range, high quality, complete lights that cost a significant amount.

By contrast, the drop-in modules I mentioned are for people who already own a SurFire G2 or 6P. They can get a high-output LED for $10-$13 (no shipping charges). How they perform compared to an Inova is not important to me. How they perform compared to the standard G2 lamp does, and they dwarf the amount of light the incandescent G2 can produce.
    But what are the drop-ins rated at, and for how long?

Lars

Rifleman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX

I'll second that after putting my standard G2 next to Rhino's modified G2, and even TomN's Factory G2-LED

the upgrade LED is crazy bright.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    But what are the drop-ins rated at, and for how long?

No idea. I'm sure someone on CandlePowerForums has done some exhaustive testing, but you'd have to search for it.

In my emergency lights, I typically don't push them to the end of battery life, or even anywhere near it. If I think I've got half an hour or so accumulated in a set of batteries, I'll change them and use the used batteries in a one cell light for utility purposes.

Top Bottom