• ...and so much more!
  • gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    FWIW...most (all?) match ammo will be "standard velocity" and subsonic in rifle length barrels and more so in a 10" barrel.

It will provide low SD to test your chrono, but use your high velocity ammo for porting data.

...BTW I was getting sonic cracks going over 1120 or so. (Also depending on how accurate the chrony is.)

This points to the variation coming from the ammo and not the chrono.

Last edited:

Born2vette

Norm, Team woodworker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jul 25, 2020
    Westfield
    Get some SK Standard plus to try. Below link has their supplied numbers (note test barrel length). I find this ammo pretty consistent in my 20.5” match barrel 22 rifle (I have shot 0.35“ and less 5 shot groups). Its not cheap, but not top tier expensive. I bought several bricks from Brian’s surplus (site supporter) last year (IIRC it was about $81/brick including tax). I use it as warm up practice ammo for rimfire matches. Brian likely will come to a gun show near you and if you call bet he would bring some if he has it and hold for you or you could swing down to his store in Greentown

Last edited:

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    a lot depends on the velocity. while 52 may be acceptable if you start with 2900, 52 is pretty significant variation when you are starting with 1050 fps.
    With 1050 fps ammo, that has a deviation of 52, one will easily see that spread on the target.
    I don't need a crono to tell me that.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Get some SK Standard plus to try. Below link has their supplied numbers (note test barrel length). I find this ammo pretty consistent in my 20.5” match barrel 22 rifle (I have shot 0.35“ and less 5 shot groups). Its not cheap, but not top tier expensive. I bought several bricks from Brian’s surplus (site supporter) last year (IIRC it was about $81/brick including tax). I use it as warm up practice ammo for rimfire matches. Brian likely will come to a gun show near you and of you call bet he would bring some if he has it and hold for you or you could swing down to his store in Greentown

And I will ad, that Brian generally keeps a darn good variety on rim fire in stock.
    @Brian's Surplus

55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    Shooting some old Wildcat ammo. #s were kind of all over. Always wondered about the old chrony. I just tried a few rounds and this is what I got. What is a norm for .22 LR? One thing I know, pretty much anything in the 11s would crack, 10s were pretty quiet. Wildcats were never quite premium ammo.

1056, 1130, 1149, 979, 1160, 1043, 1140, 1057, 1040, 1116, 1134, 1162.

Maybe tomorrow I will take out a box of newer stuff.
    I have a few boxes of sk yellow and some eley as well, come on down and I'll give them to you. If you head over to camp perry in 2 weeks the vendors will be flooded with all the sk & eley you want.
    Then we will shoot this out of my Anschutz and see what the numbers look like as compared to your rifle

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    I have a few boxes of sk yellow and some eley as well, come on down and I'll give them to you. If you head over to camp perry in 2 weeks the vendors will be flooded with all the sk & eley you want.
    Then we will shoot this out of my Anschutz and see what the numbers look like as compared to your rifle
    My Think 2 shot my 1967 mod 54 in JH and HS, and he was teased a bunch over that vintage Annie, shortly the teasing faces would turn into long faces.

Brian Ski

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2014
    Michiana
    This all day long. I thought you were joking about porting a barrel with a hand drill…Don’t do it go online and you will find a ton of subsonic.22s
    Sorry about that... My twisted sense of humor. I don't have access to an EDM but it would be done on a mill. Not with a drill bit. Haha

I know all the don't do it stories... I have to learn by myself. (I just do not want to start putting holes in things.) I am trying to find a couple people who BTDT. I do appreciate all the information and ideas.

Brian Ski

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2014
    Michiana
    I appreciate the offer.... I will see if I find some around here. BTW Where is camp Perry? A gun show I am guessing?

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    I appreciate the offer.... I will see if I find some around here. BTW Where is camp Perry? A gun show I am guessing?
    Northern Ohio. It's the Nationals at Port Clinton, Ohio.

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.4%
    153   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    BTW before I bring out the hand drill, I want to make sure I know where I am at. Hard to undrill a couple holes. (A bit of humor!!)

Porting info to reduce velocity is kind of rare info to find on the internet.

BTW I was getting sonic cracks going over 1120 or so. (Also depending on how accurate the chrony is.)

You might head over to Silencertalk.com and look at the silencer smithing forum. I’ve not been thee in awhile, but thee are a lot of guys who have built a lot of F1 cans and lots of good info there.

Brian Ski

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2014
    Michiana
    Shop around. You can find lower end Eley and SK for just slightly more than CCI. $.10-12 vs. $.08-.10
    Several were out of stock. I did place an order for a few rounds. SK was a bit cheaper. Starting at .16-.19 a round. Eley was .14-.25. Plus tax and shipping. (After all that about .22 cents a round.) I did buy a variety to mess with. I will try to post the results.

Trimsaw

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2024
    North Vernon
    Pretty much in the same boat. I have been reloading since the 80s. Not quite the right forum for my next question, but since you are a reloader, and kind of asking...
    I am using High velocity 22 LR ammo, with an integrated suppressor and want to port it to stay subsonic. I am trying to get a baseline to see how much a drop in velocity I need to stay subsonic.

My biggest questions are, what diameter port (s) and how far back from the chamber?? Technically the barrel is 10" long (including the chamber). I am on the edge right now with the end of my Wildcat ammo. I think the larger stock is Federal bulk packs.

Yes standard velocity will work, but more expensive and wanting to use what I have. I pretty much always buy high velocity.

I probably should start by running through some Federals and see where I am at.
    Is the host semi or bolt? AAC's Pheonix (77/22) & Dragonfly (Buckmark) have single holes halfway down the barrel. The Huntertown Arms Fusion T-22 has 3 threaded & plugged holes on the bottom of the barrel near the chamber.
    What you're wanting to do with the high velocity will only be capable in the bolt action. You could slow it down as much as you wanted with no action issues. The Dragonfly will only run CCI Mini-mags (or comparable ammo) reliably. They do stay subsonic.
    What I ran into with the 10-22 hosted Fusion & bulk ammo, I had removed all three plugs to get subsonic, I was having cycling issues. In semiauto's, I would stick with heaver 42 gr subsonic rounds.

Brian Ski

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2014
    Michiana
    Is the host semi or bolt? AAC's Pheonix (77/22) & Dragonfly (Buckmark) have single holes halfway down the barrel. The Huntertown Arms Fusion T-22 has 3 threaded & plugged holes on the bottom of the barrel near the chamber.
    What you're wanting to do with the high velocity will only be capable in the bolt action. You could slow it down as much as you wanted with no action issues. The Dragonfly will only run CCI Mini-mags (or comparable ammo) reliably. They do stay subsonic.
    What I ran into with the 10-22 hosted Fusion & bulk ammo, I had removed all three plugs to get subsonic, I was having cycling issues. In semiauto's, I would stick with heaver 42 gr subsonic rounds.
    Cool, someone with a Fusion. I am running the barrel on a 10/22. So still want the semi auto. I heard the fusion has 3 ported holes and wanted to know diameter and where they are located. The main part was if there was any luck with reliability of the semi auto with the porting. It looks like I do not need to relieve much pressure.

What really surprised me was most of the HV ammo I shot so far was subsonic with the 10" barrel. But more ammo to be tested soon.

Trimsaw

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2024
    North Vernon
    Cool, someone with a Fusion. I am running the barrel on a 10/22. So still want the semi auto. I heard the fusion has 3 ported holes and wanted to know diameter and where they are located. The main part was if there was any luck with reliability of the semi auto with the porting. It looks like I do not need to relieve much pressure.

What really surprised me was most of the HV ammo I shot so far was subsonic with the 10" barrel. But more ammo to be tested soon.
    I thought I'd be helpful & send you information this morning..... I had to get out the Kroil. It may be a bit.

Top Bottom