• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PsYcHo SqUiRrEl

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    Greenetucky
    I use plain old Remington Sluggers in both my Mossy 500 12ga smooth bore slug barrel and my NEF 20ga modified. Farthest shot was around 120yrds with the 12ga, and the deer ran about 30yrds after a liver hit. I've tried Winchester and Federal and neither seem to do as well in these guns.

menzzer37

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Aug 15, 2009
    Noblesville
    3" brenneke slugs. I shot a deer at 50 yards in the chest (front view), it travelled through the length of the body, shattered the pelvis and lodged in the femur which it also shattered. There was barely any deformation to the slug, but the deer didn't have too much fight.

Rhinestone Pete

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    Greenwood, IN
    My gun seems to like the Remington copper bonded sabots. Have tried Hornady, Winchester, etc., but my HR shoots the Rem's much better. I would recommend triing a few different brands for yourself to determine what shoots best. Unfortunately, the Rem's are more expensive, last time I purchased at Gander Mountain, it was about $20 box/5.

XFCTR

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2009
    Columbus
    I think it all depends on the gun and what it likes. I hunt with a 12g sinle break down with fully riffled barrel and pretty much the only think it likes is the Federals. Idk if you can get them any more, havn't used it in a few years, but the Federals with the Barnes Sabot is just plain killer in that gun. Idk why but it always wants to keyhole Rems Copper Solid.

Airwolf

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    Terre Haute, IN
    I shoot Winchester 2 3/4" Platinum Tips out of my 870. Before I put the rifled barrel on it, I shot Brenneke 2 3/4" heavy field short mags. Those always put em down, but they usually ran a bit. They were very, very accurate for a rifled slug.

koenig clone

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    fairmount
    winchester supreme partition gold. you get what you pay for. Awesome in my 20 ga 870. expensive, but worth it. recovered one, expansion was so beautiful i had a single tear run down my cheek.

Kimber7man

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    Lawrence
    I use the federal barnes tipped expanders, just the 2 3/4" version. Fly straight and true out of my 1187 cantilever barrel and hit like the proverbial hammer!

AF92venger

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 16, 2009
    NE of Indy, but not too far!
    I have a Remington 870 Express Magnum 12g with a fully rifled barrel. I have Always shot "Lightfield Hybrid EXP 2 3/4" Sabots(royal blue cased) They have always done me WELL.

BUT, what you have to Realize, ALL guns shoot Totally different. I have another 870 that is exactly like the one i deer hunt with, and I shoot the Hornady SS Sabots out of it.

Hope this helps any!

PaPa 260

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2009
    I have never found anything that shoots better out of my 870 Rem. with a Hastings rifled barrel than the old Winchester High Impact sabot slug. I bought a case of them when I found out they shot so well. I am still good to go for a while.

PaPa 260

jforrest

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2009
    Porter County
    anyone try the Remington AccuTip Bonded Sabot Slug?

I use them and they are amazing. At 50 yards I'll shoot groups of 3 with all the holes touching. Dropped a deer at 50 yards with them last year, he was dead before he knew what hit him. Also found the slug when I field dressed him and it mushroomed beautifully.

erik7941

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2008
    Noblesville
    I've had the best groups with the Winchester Super X sabots in 2 3/4" (the ones in the silver boxes, not the black boxes) for 20 Ga.

joshennis84

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 25, 2009
    Bloomington
    Partition golds, Could hit a quarter at 100 yards out of the gun I broke. Shoot a lever action now, but if I buy another slug gun, I'm trying them in the gun first.

257robertsimp

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 26, 2009
    Original green box Brenneke, I have not seen them for sale for several years and I am down to 12 slugs though.. I Don't know what I will do when they are gone.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom