TAP the forward assist and magazine to be sure everything is fully seated

i think you forgot the last S,

SPORTS
    Safe
    Pull
    Observe
    Release
    Tap
    Safe / or Squeeze (depending on the situation whether you need to fire or return the weapon to safe)

My :drill: taught me well :patriot:

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    I thought the safety was only engaged for remedial action if immediate action failed.:dunno:

SPORTS (immediate action)
    1. Slaps gently upward on the magazine to ensure it is fully seated, and the magazine follower is not jammed.
    2. Pulls the charging handle fully to the rear.
    3. Observes for the ejection of a live round or expended cartridge. (If the weapon fails to eject a cartridge, perform remedial action.)
    4. Releases the charging handle (do not ride it forward).
    5. Taps the forward assist assembly to ensure bolt closure.
    6. Squeezes the trigger and tries to fire the rifle.

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Seems like most people don't want to get a scratch on their rifles, let alone dirty enough to have to use the forward assist.

That is so very true. We may have a trainer on this board who (so I have heard) asks students to toss their firearm on the ground during training. I can only imagine the arguments and looks. "But, that ground looks sharp and scratchy..."

Pale Rider

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Apr 12, 2009
    Too Close to Home
    I thought the safety was only engaged for remedial action if immediate action failed.:dunno:

1. Slaps gently upward on the magazine to ensure it is fully seated, and the magazine follower is not jammed.
    3. Observes for the ejection of a live round or expended cartridge. (If the weapon fails to eject a cartridge, perform remedial action.)

depends if you're at the training range or the SHTF on a convoy in the sand box... :dunno:

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    not to mention if you ever have to chamber a round quietly you can assure that it gets seated home... without having to let the bolt slam home alerting someone to your position

jtmarine1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2009
    Lexington, IN
    That is so very true. We may have a trainer on this board who (so I have heard) asks students to toss their firearm on the ground during training. I can only imagine the arguments and looks. "But, that ground looks sharp and scratchy..."

After that first scratch it is al down hill from there. I was that way when I bought my first AR several years ago. Until I got that first scratch on it I keep it super clean, after that I used it for what it was built for. And I quit applying the to nice to do that rule to everything shortly there after, just like when I bought my M1A, no more than I walked out the shop it started raining, think that stopped me, Heck No! Straight to the farm I went!

As long as it is 100% functional I really don't care what it looks like!;)

2ADMNLOVER

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    West side Indy

This is what it was in my day .

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    hmmm, I wonder who that is ;). I had my handgun/shotgun in-service today. I tear my stuff up. I don't abuse it but I like to train hard and get dirty. Firearms are tool that will show wear with use. My patrol rifle gets beat around and I paid for it. As long as it is properly maintained, it can have zero finish for all I care. Same for all of my pistols,

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    I remember the 'light bulb' moment I had when I suddenly realized that those funny looking ridges on the side of the bolt carrier actually had a purpose. . . lol

AmeetecBoltFullMedium.jpg

Litlratt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 17, 2009
    Terre Haute
    My uppers work better w/o a charging handle or forward assist.

Drill and tap the carrier for a bolt handle and slot the upper for its rearward travel. No push/pull system, direct control of the carrier/bolt.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    My uppers work better w/o a charging handle or forward assist.

Drill and tap the carrier for a bolt handle and slot the upper for its rearward travel. No push/pull system, direct control of the carrier/bolt.

thats my what i hate most about the AR... is the rear charging handle... also why the XCR and new bushmaster ACR are so apealing... because of the ability to charge from the side.... rat, any chance you can post some pics of your uppers set up like this?

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    thats my what i hate most about the AR... is the rear charging handle... also why the XCR and new bushmaster ACR are so apealing... because of the ability to charge from the side.... rat, any chance you can post some pics of your uppers set up like this?

Agreed. The charging system should not include shoving a hand nearly up my nose and be hidden under a long scope.

Litlratt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 17, 2009
    Terre Haute
    I'll try to post some in the morning. Prepping for Camp Perry right now.

Indecision

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2009
    Fort Bragg, NC
    in fact its a part of the SOP for clearing jams that the army uses...

SPORT
    Safe
    PULL (the charging handle)
    OBSERVE (for a round ejecting)
    Realease (chambering another rount
    TAP the forward assist and magazine to be sure everything is fully seated

I think we went to a different infantry school.

Slap
    Pull
    Observe
    Release
    Tap
    Squeeze

I know someone else already said it, but come on.

cce1302

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Back down south
    ...until you NEED it...
    Yup. I conduct a brass check every time I chamber a round, then bump the forward assist. It's a necessary part of a rifle that gets used somewhere other than on a static range. I guess if you only ever are plinking then you could do without it, but it's a service rifle, not a target rifle. The AR-type target rifles don't all have forward assists.
    I think we went to a different infantry school.

Slap
    Pull
    Observe
    Release
    Tap
    Squeeze

I know someone else already said it, but come on.

From what I remember, we use Tap-Rack-Bang for immediate action, then SPORTS is remedial action. Since you've already done tap-rack-bang, and it didn't work, you don't have to slap the magazine again. S stands for seek cover (you don't want to be in the open while your rifle is temporarily out of commission) then the rest are the same.

Top Bottom