• Litlratt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 17, 2009
    Terre Haute
    @Indy
    I ran out of time.
    Will post some pics when I get back around the 18th.
    This link will give you an idea White Oak Precision - Match Rifle Uppers

upper_bolthandle.jpg

Uppers w/o forward assist are much more appealing when doing this mod.

Last edited by a moderator:

sporter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southern, Indiana
    I have yet to need it on any of my ARs.

None of the instructors I've taken carbine courses from have advocated using the forward assist. Their reasoning is that if something is preventing the bolt from going into battery, do you really want to FORCE it? Especially if it's an out-of-spec round (bent bullet, bulged case, etc). Why not just TAP-RACK-BANG?

Exactly.

This is where a real charging handle like the AK or M14 has comes into good use.
    It works both ways, not just one way.

zsm

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Indiana
    I remember looking at the patent for the forward assist, and it was for loading the round as silently as possible.

The thing is on my AR, the bolt hangs right when it hits the round making the assist useless, and when i do get it to chamber most of the way, it makes a "CLACK" almost as loud as just letting it fly.

Litlratt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 17, 2009
    Terre Haute
    With the handle on the carrier, the charging handle becomes cosmetic, however it does prevent gases from coming back into the shooters face/eye.
    I remove the charging handle on mine and replace it with a piece of delrin or a small piece of anti fatique mat cut to shape.
    If it hasn't been done yet, it's probably just a matter of time before someone comes up with an aesthetically pleasing plug for that area.

tenring

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 16, 2008
    Martinsville
    Any idea what WOA charges to install the bolt handle? Easy to take off for bolt removal and cleaning? Inquiring minds want to know!

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    Any idea what WOA charges to install the bolt handle? Easy to take off for bolt removal and cleaning? Inquiring minds want to know!

i imagine with a mill, this mod could be done fairly easy... i would be worried about the handled offsetting the balance of the bolt (unless made for the handle) and causing excess wear or possibly damage/reliability issues

Top Bottom