What is the warmest winter hunting boot/sock?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 94.1%
    16   1   0
    Nov 16, 2013
    Greenfield
    Ok....almost an hour later...and 75% sure on buying the danner 1200gram gxt pronghorn boots. Anyone got a reason not to? Besides the cost I mean. This would be my winter only boot, so its use in warmer months is not a concern fyi.
    Love Danner boots - all I own. None of mine are (made in China) Pronghorns. Buy the stitch down style and wear them for 15 years.

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    It might help if you find out if the trip to the stand is causing your problem. For me a few guys I know, that's where we get the moisture happening from sweat. Take a pair of socks to change into once you're settled for a few minutes.

Also, try to be sure your legs are straight enough to get good circulation to the feet.

Might help or might not, just a thought.

DEC

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 25, 2008
    Angola
    Cabela's Inferno 2000 boots with a good pair of wool socks. The things are amazing. I have been hunting with a pair for the past 6 or 7 years, both deer and late winter goose seasons, some of the coldest temps around. Never get cold feet.

Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    buying the danner 1200gram gxt pronghorn boots. Anyone got a reason not to?

Danner makes the biggest POS boots I have ever had the displeasure of wearing and I've never understood how they made their reputation here in the states. Junk toe to heel, but I suspect most don't ask much of them so they 'work' just fine.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Danner makes the biggest POS boots I have ever had the displeasure of wearing and I've never understood how they made their reputation here in the states. Junk toe to heel, but I suspect most don't ask much of them so they 'work' just fine.

I have friends who are wearing Danner boots and on their third pair of soles for them. My experience certainly differs from yours. I've had one pair for 12 years and they're a long, long way from being worn out.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    My favorite cold weather sock is a wool sock from Tractor Supply $12.99 a pair. I forget what they are called, but they are a "natural" color and have a black and red stripe on top. I cringed when I paid $13 for ONE pair of socks, but the next year I bought two more pair. They are fantastic.

I admit to using a toe warmer on Tuesday in my Pac boots while hunting.

I haven't been able to find a "good" pair of insulated boots that fit me. Those wool socks in a lightly insulted leather hunting boot are comfortable all day long with moderate movement in the teens and 20's. With the Pac boots and toe warmers I had no problems on Tuesday sitting still.

I've been looking for a good set of 12-4E width Pac Boots for years with no luck. The set I have now are 13-4E and are not "good" boots, though they kept me warm while active (shoveling snow) a -15 to -20 last winter.

cwillour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    90   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    My feet always used to get cold, but for the past few years I have been going with light-insulated boots (4-600 grain Thinsulate) and Artic-Shields for when I am stopped. When the temperatures were <0 F a couple years ago, I put a hand warmer packet in each Artic-Shield and was good from 4:30AM until we hit a high of almost 10 F early afternoon.

The key for me is to have the boots loosened when I am stopped so I keep the blood flowing. I normally untie my boots but my current pair has a zipper on the side that loosens them up through the ankles enough. I have also been getting wider boots to make certain my feet aren't getting pinched with the extra sock bulk. If the ground is icy or I have to worry about footing more, I am likely to go with well fitted un-insulated boots for walking and simply take them off and tie them to my bag while I use the over-boots.

Edit: FWIW, when I wore the toe-heaters I seemed to get the best results putting them on the outside of my liner sock (and inside the wool sock.)

Last edited:

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    I have a old pair of Danners and a few old and new boots from Browning. I like them all. Now socks, for winter I buy nothing buy Browning socks, money well spent.. Wicking and then wool....
    What I do different from everybody else is what I was taught as a kid from my Grandfather and reinforced with cold weather training years later. When I hump in and get to where I'm going to hunt and or up in the tree stand I shuck my boots and air dry for a min or two and then change socks.. The same goes if I sweat a bunch I will strip down and change my top and bottom fruits.
    Now that I'm older, I also like others bring a few hand / feet warmers if I need them I use them.
    I bought my kid the artic mucks last winter and he loves them, he wears a regular pair when he is fishing or crabing...

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    Exactly. If you don't ask a lot of them I'm sure they work fine.

So if I own a pair of boots that I bought 20 + years ago to use for a special purpose, and that purpose only lasts one week out of the year, every year.
    That boot is a pos ?

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    The best, and warmest 'pair of socks' are the insulation you wear on your chest, neck, and head.

200g Thinsulate boots and a single pair of decent, non-constrictive wool-blend boot socks from your local store will do just fine in Indiana weather, provided you have satisfied the prerequisite that the rest of you is warm.

The problem is not in your toes.

-Nate

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    hehehe....

Alright, I'll give you that.

Whatever. You just need to carry more insulation around with you like I do!

-Nate

BStarkey 46947

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 14, 2012
    Great advice so far. Arctic shields are Awesome.

One key I have found is maintaining air space in your boot. I buy my hunting boots a half size too large. I have tried disposable warmers in my boots don't like them. It is been so long since I bought my boots I can't recall the what type of Irish Setter boots I have but they 1200 g Thinsulate with a heavy lug. I prefer a cotton sock liner with a heavy wool blend on top.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    My feet have always taken a beating in the cold.
    Worse the older I get.
    I don't wear my thicker socks or boots driving up to my spot.
    Don't hurry to my stand either.
    I cool off before getting dressed, and try to stay cool.
    Those old treestands with the leg cramping seat bar were brutal.
    I rather like my Ol' Man Tara net seat.

My old 800gram all leather mountain boots finally bit the dust. Gotta order new.
    Was thinking Cabela's "Outfitter Series".

Any reviews on those?

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    RedMurph
    Top Bottom