What is the most exotic thing you have ever eaten?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pjcalla

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Well, yesterday, a liberal bookface "friend" posted some article about a restaurant in AZ serving Lion burgers. She made an idiotic comment about AZ and the immigration law. Naturally, I responded, but it got me thinking about making a thread on here.

So, what is the most exotic/rare thing you've ever eaten, where did you eat it, what did it taste like, and would you eat it again? I know we have some world travelers on here, I think this will be interesting. If this has been done before, must have missed it. Anyway, I'll go first.

What: Flipper
    Where: Grand Cayman Island
    Taste: Looked like a big fat pork chop, same texture, not too fishy
    Again: Yes.

So what have you eaten, INGO? :ingo:

CoyoteCreekGuns

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    New Palestine, IN
    I'm not sure that they are really considered exotic anymore but here is a small list:

- Cow Brains (weird texture and no I would not eat them again)
    - Rocky Mountain Oysters, i.e. cow testicles (cooked like chicken fried steak and yes I would eat them again)
    - Emu Steak (very rare as there is no fat on them and Yes I would eat it again)
    - Shark Steak (good and yes)
    - Poi (not really exotic unless you've never been to Hawaii and no way never again)

As for more exotic, I'm heading to Cambodia next month, so I'm sure I'll run into all kinds of things to try..

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    - Rocky Mountain Oysters, i.e. cow testicles

Cows do not have testicles. Bulls, OTOH... ;)

In college, my entomology class ate mealworms. They were unremarkable, but I probably wouldn't do it again. As an adult, I've eaten ostrich, bison, alligator, shark and rattlesnake. I'd have any one of them again, in a heartbeat.

Last edited:

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    - Poi (not really exotic unless you've never been to Hawaii and no way never again)
    You must not have tried fresh Poi. Fresh Poi is bland, but slightly sweet. Eaten with other foods to balance the bland taste it's actually quite delicious.

ETA, Oh yeah, almost forgot to add my contribution.

Uh... I'm not very adventurous, I did try raw fish once... it was uh.. sort of nasty (I have no idea what kind of fish it was, it was just on a buffet line).

pjcalla

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Hamilton County
    You must not have tried fresh Poi. Fresh Poi is bland, but slightly sweet. Eaten with other foods to balance the bland taste it's actually quite delicious.

ETA, Oh yeah, almost forgot to add my contribution.

Uh... I'm not very adventurous, I did try raw fish once... it was uh.. sort of nasty (I have no idea what kind of fish it was, it was just on a buffet line).

I've had Poi. It was okay, I'd probably eat it again (if I go back to HI).

On my honeymoon, we went to a sushi place, and I had the "Bento Box." It was basically the sushi chef's choice of like 18 pieces. It wasn't rolled in rice like you see here, it was just hunks of raw fish, octopus, etc. Needless to say, we had 3 or 4 bottles of wine to wash it down. I generally like sushi, but this was just too much.

EvilleDoug

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2010
    Evansville
    While in a bar in Spain three friends and I sat down to have a Spanish Beer and there was a fish tank on the bar with live shrimp in it. We asked what it was for and the bar tender pulled a shrimp out, dipped it into some sauce of some kind, held it by the head and ate. So, we did too. Live shrimp and cold beer.

While in Key West, I caught and ate the following sea dwelling creatures:

stingray
    nurse shark
    sand shark
    Red Snapper
    Lane Snapper
    Lobster
    Shrimp

Many of these aren't exotic, unless of course you're from small town Indiana and never even seen them before.

And finally, While overseas I ate a dog sammich.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Alligator
    Emu and Ostrich
    Snake
    Eel (raw)
    Eel (cooked)
    Squid (raw)

Things that I've eaten that I do NOT consider exotic:
    Snails
    Shark
    Squid (cooked)
    Rays and Skates (various varieties)
    Calf (cow) Brain, also called 'sweatbreads' (you will see these on menus of nice eateries)
    Rocky Mtn Oyster
    Buffalo
    Tongue
    Heart (various animals)
    Boar (wild European)
    Bear
    Various members of the deer family (deer, antelope, elk, etc)
    Goat
    Turtle
    Charnina (ducks blood soup)
    Hurka, Kizka (and many others) blood sausage (most nations have their own name/variation)

And probably a whole lot more that I can't think of off the top of my head...

public servant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Calf (cow) Brain, also called 'sweatbreads' (you will see these on menus of nice eateries)
    I thought sweetbreads were the pancreas?

veal_calf_sweetbreads.jpg

steve666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    Indianapolis Eastside
    I've eaten ostrich, bison, alligator, shark, monkey, nuoc mam (fermented fish sauce), kimchee (fermented, spiced cabbage), grubs (survival training), deep fried grasshoppers, chocolate covered ants... Basically I'll eat anything that doesn't eat me first and a few things that will!!! I would eat the alligator, bison (good) or kimchee (great) again, not real enthusiastic about revisiting any of the rest.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jojo99
    Top Bottom