• STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    Wound Ballistics

ATK — Speer® and Federal®

Yesterday 11-3-11, I attended the Wound Ballistics testing demonstration hosted by the Delaware County Sheriffs Department, at EMS Station # 3 at 9am in Muncie Indiana. While the demonstration was conducted using FBI Wound Ballistics protocol, and witnessed by over forty attendees, myself included it was limited to ATK sponsored Federal and Speer ammunition.
    Handgun calibers tested .357/.9mm/.40/.45. Test medium of course was ballistic gelatin, covered in four layers of denim from the 25 yard line. (Auto glass set at a .45 degree angle was subsequently used in later testing. Rifle calibers tested were .223 and .308. (as well as .12 gage shotgun). Between the Federal HST and Speer GDHP in 9.mm and .40 there was no noticeable difference in the penetration and wound cavity of these rounds, all of the rounds opened up perfectly and performed as advertised, No case separation from any round. However, (The test results I helped collect will be posted on ATK's ballistic test website soon) firing the same rounds into 4-layer denim covered gelatin through auto glass the non bonded HST lost some of its classic flower petal of doom jacket serrations, the bonded (bullet jacket and lead core bonded/swagged together) petals on the GDHP did not. The GDHP held together better through the auto glass/barrier, the Hydra Shock lost its jacket completely. Of course wound penetration after going through the auto glass barrier was less than the gelatin covered by only denim, it was significant to reach vital organs and cause serious blood loss to your system. I know, I know shot placement with what you have in your hand at the time you have to shoot is #1, having the right ammo in your pistol of choice wont hurt. Pistols used were the S&W M&P .9mm, HK .40, Springfield 1911 in .45, as well as an M-4 in .223 and a bolt action .308 sniper rifle, I didn't get the manufacture res names of the rifles.

All in all a great time seeing what your ammo choices do/didn't do during testing. Again to be fair, Corbon, Remington, Winchester, Hornaday ammo was not included, when they invite me to attend their workshops, I can compare. I like all three the .40 Win PDX-1, Speer GDHP, and Federal HST (180 gr). IMHO the HST looks the baddest, the PDX-1 the Federal Gov uses is whats issued, but for all around summer/winter, home,car,more/less clothing seasonable options.......the Gold Dot Hollow Point is my choice.

P.S. we also fired the 147 Gr 9.mm Federal HST vs the 180 Gr .40 Federal HST round side by side.........penetration through ballistic gelatin was very close, both rounds performed as advertised, and with less perceived recoil in the non +P .9mm platform vs the snappier .40 cal, (I carry Speer GDHP 124 gr +P), I want to fins some for winter carry ASAP.

Is there a GOLDEN BULLET?
    Unfortunately "NO".

Can you believe everything you read in the Gun magazines about ammunition performance?

Again unfortunately "NO".

Getting to see ammo you like tested in person............."PRICELESS" !!!

Thanks to the Delaware County Sheriffs Department, ATK, and KIESLERS Police Supply for the workshop.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom