Not open for further replies.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    because support of the organization doesn’t come close to the support for the slogan. BLM, the organization, proffers a political outlook that is distasteful to most.
    The slogan, logically, is a tautology, especially compared with “all lives matter”. When we hear it chanted, the response should be, “no ****!”, or “water is wet”, or “no one’s saying they don’t”. Or maybe more appropriately, “there are four fingers” as we’re being gaslit into believing that America believes black lives don’t matter.

After the nation saw George Floyd’s death on video, where were the mobs of Americans insisting that black lives don’t matter? Nowhere I heard. All I heard was everyone agreeing that the officer was wrong to kneel on Floyd’s neck, especially for 8-1/2 minutes! And that much is true. The assumption that it was a racist act, was readily accepted by all, including myself, including most of INGO. But now, after more facts come out, and a video showing the fullest context, it no longer appears that race was a significant factor in Floyd’s death.

Whether by design or not, the slogan serves as a trojan horse for sowing racial division.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    The slogan, logically, is a tautology, especially compared with “all lives matter”. When we hear it chanted, the response should be, “no ****!”, or “water is wet”, or “no one’s saying they don’t”. Or maybe more appropriately, “there are four fingers” as we’re being gaslit into believing that America believes black lives don’t matter.

After the nation saw George Floyd’s death on video, where were the mobs of Americans insisting that black lives don’t matter? Nowhere I heard. All I heard was everyone agreeing that the officer was wrong to kneel on Floyd’s neck, especially for 8-1/2 minutes! And that much is true. The assumption that it was a racist act, was readily accepted by all, including myself, including most of INGO. But now, after more facts come out, and a video showing the fullest context, it no longer appears that race was a significant factor in Floyd’s death.

Whether by design or not, the slogan serves as a trojan horse for sowing racial division.

Maybe mobs and pithy calls and responses aren't the answer.

Where's Daryl Davis when you need him?

4651feeder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 21, 2016
    East of NWI
    The question in my mind is where does one draw the line between a teacher pushing a personal agenda and a teacher making in class statement to create debate and discussion ?

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    The question in my mind is where does one draw the line between a teacher pushing a personal agenda and a teacher making in class statement to create debate and discussion ?

When it crosses over from debate and discussion to "this is the only acceptable viewpoint."

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    I would think that one would use questions more to initiate discussion and debate, not statements.

"Black lives matter doesn't unite people." as opposed to "Do you think Black lives Matter unites people?
    or
    "Black lives matter is responsible for thousands of deaths in this country." as opposed to "Is it possible that these deaths were caused by the Black lives matter movement?"

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    The failure in the slogan is that it requires no action. It's metaphorical. Black Lives Matter. Yes, of course they do.

OTOH

POLICE REFORM NOW! Ok. I see where you are headed. Yes, I understand there have been police abuses. What do you recommend?

One slogan requires empathy. The other requires legislation.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    The failure in the slogan is that it requires no action. It's metaphorical. Black Lives Matter. Yes, of course they do.

OTOH

POLICE REFORM NOW! Ok. I see where you are headed. Yes, I understand there have been police abuses. What do you recommend?

One slogan requires empathy. The other requires legislation.

I think the slogan was well thought out. It’s hard to criticize anything they say in the public square without looking like you’re a racist. If you rebut anything they say, they just say, well you don’t think black lives matter. Of course that’s absurd, but no one wants to be accused of being a racist. And people are just going along with it.

OakRiver

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    IN
    I think the slogan was well thought out. It’s hard to criticize anything they say in the public square without looking like you’re a racist. If you rebut anything they say, they just say, well you don’t think black lives matter. Of course that’s absurd, but no one wants to be accused of being a racist. And people are just going along with it.
    Same thing with Antifa. The names are rhetorical traps: if you disagree with them then, regardless of your reasons for objecting, you can be painted as a racist or fascist.

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    Same thing with Antifa. The names are rhetorical traps: if you disagree with them then, regardless of your reasons for objecting, you can be painted as a racist or fascist.

Accusing your opponents of being "deplorables" is from the standard playbook.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out

Meh.

After reading what these asswipes stand for and seeing their behavior, any empathy I may have been fostering is completely and utterly GONE. They can take their slogan, cram it up their ass and go straight to Hell for all I care.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Meh.

After reading what these asswipes stand for and seeing their behavior, any empathy I may have been fostering is completely and utterly GONE. They can take their slogan, cram it up their ass and go straight to Hell for all I care.
    It wasn’t an endorsement. It was a reality check. It’s being accepted in every institution. Even churches are getting on board with this.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    It wasn’t an endorsement. It was a reality check. It’s being accepted in every institution. Even churches are getting on board with this.

I understand it is not an endorsement.

I just didn't want to miss the opportunity to tell burn loot murder that they can take their slogan, cram it up their ass, and go straight to Hell.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom