• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 6, 2009
    Jasper county
    I'm thinking about buying a .22 handgun soon. the only .22 handguns I have shot before have been revelovers. Has anyone had expericence with .22 semi-autos, good or bad. Thanks for any help you can give me.:ar15:

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    .22s? We love our .22s here.:D

I'm a big fan of the Ruger 22/45 MkII. I have a bunch of them.

1255352399.jpg

They were going for $200 a pop (bought my first one at $189.99). The MkIII versions are going for $240.00 at the last Indy 1500 gun show.

jpo117

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 29, 2009
    I don't own a 22, but I'm planning on getting one soon and have done plenty of research. I've narrowed my selection down to a Ruger MK II/III or a Browning Buckmark, based on other people's opinions (I haven't had a chance to shoot either yet). Hope it helps.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I'm quite pleased with my Ruger Mk II 22/45. But I've got about $700 of invested "goodies" into it... :n00b: (Pac-Lite upper + suppressor + tax stamp)

I also rather enjoy my Walther P22. This is my 2nd one, actually. Sold the first to fund something else, then bought this one 'cause a buddy of mine needed the cash.

You'll find, though, that there are generally 2 camps when it comes to the P-22. There are those that swear they're junk jam-O-matics, and there are those who haven't had a problem at all with theirs. I'm in the later category.

If you can find a used Ruger Mk I or Mk II, jump on it. The Mk IIs are getting harder to find and the prices have gone up considerably. Reason being that many folks just don't like the upgrades / nanny features that are in the newer Mk III Ruger pistols.

Or, like Kirk, if you already have a 1911, you can buy a .22 conversion kit for it. Same if you have a Glock. Or a CZ-75.

Another non-ruger offering would be the Browning Buckmark. They're quite solid pistols and have models all over the price spectrum. I've not ever shot one, though, that I can remember.

-J-

ChalupaCabras

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    LaPorte / Kingsbury
    You'll find, though, that there are generally 2 camps when it comes to the P-22. There are those that swear they're junk jam-O-matics, and there are those who haven't had a problem at all with theirs. I'm in the later category.

You may also find that there is a lot of ignorance and misinformation on both sides: The "jam-O-matic" crowd can't tell you WHY the early P-22s had problems, and most P-22 lovers cant tell you what Walther did to fix it.

The truth of the mater is the most of the issues encountered by the early adopters were due to the extractor used during the first year or two of production, a well as problems with the original version of the magazine. As one can imagine, this combination caused various types of failures.

These problems were corrected quickly: the magazine and extractor were redesigned, and the problems went away. Any P22 made in the last few years will have these upgraded parts, and even if you get an old one its a 5 minute proposition to upgrade them yourself.

But you know the firearms community... make a minor mistake with your gun and we will hold a grudge for all of eternity (even if we never owned one ourselves). :rolleyes:

Michiana

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Granger
    Ruger Mark I is my favorite

This is my Ruger Mark I which I have owned for fifteen years and my uncle had it for I don't know how long before me. This is the most accurate pistol I own and a dream to shoot. I have sold a few Mark III's but really think the old Mark I was the best of this style. The Mark II's are also nice. I like the bull barrel on mine. I don't see many Mark I's for sale as I believe the people who own them hang on to them because they are such a nice shooter. :twocents:

Ruger_Mark_1.jpg

Griffeycom

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 20, 2008
    I have an HP22A by Phoenix Arms, it's a cheapo gun but I have had little problems with it, it makes for a great budget plinker if you want to spend under $200 (more like $120-150). I get failure to eject rounds sometimes, and rarely a failure to feed, but overall it's been great with Federal Bulk ammo.

lovemywoods

Geek in Paradise!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Brown County
    Another vote for the Ruger Mark II!

I have a Ruger Mark II and love it! For a target pistol or a first pistol to learn to shoot, it's great. Super reliable, accurate, and low-cost to feed. I've shot 6500 rounds through mine. No troubles. I currently have it set up with a red dot optic to use at Friday Night Steel.

The only negative I have about this pistol is that it is a bit complicated to field strip it. Keep the owner's manual nearby when you do and it will work! I only take the barrel off to do a thorough cleaning every 3-4 cleanings.

2lvzh2x.jpg

I have a Walther P22 also. It's fun, but doesn't have the heft or smoothness of the Ruger.

mbaza3

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Nov 21, 2009
    Arizona
    A lot of people may disagree since there are negative posts out there but I love my Sig Sauer Mosquito. Provided you use good quality ammo like cci mini-mags and keep it clean and oiled it functions perfectly.

Fergy35

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    NE Corner of our gre
    The Rugers I have shot, have been great. My friend has a Browning Challenger that shoots well too. I have an old Bersa #622, that hasn't been made for I don't know how long. It used to belong to one of my Unlces. It also shoots very well. Wish I could find magazines for it.

As far pistols that are still made, the only ones I have had the chance to shoot are the Rugers and the Browning. I don't think you would go wrong with either.

jpo117

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 29, 2009
    How about the Beretta Neos? I hate the looks but the price is right, and I can convince myself to love something that's fun to play around with.

Michiana

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Granger
    You are off base with your Ruger comment

:yesway:BUCKMARK:yesway: Ruger if you want a good paper weight! :popcorn:

I own both a Browning Buckmark and a Ruger Mark I and also owned a Mark III and they are all great guns. Guess you must have had a lemon. Saying Rugers are not good guns goes against the opinion of the vast majority of gun owners, :dunno:

GregD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Oct 7, 2009
    Madison County
    When you look at what is being made today I would suggest the S&W mod.41 or the Browning Buckmark. The Ruger MK I or MKII are both very good pistols also.

Top Bottom