What instructor/school would you choose?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BIX

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    If that offer fell into my lap, I'd probably pick a Thunder Ranch four day course.

Why?

all expenses and AMMO paid

TR will be an expensive trip with travel, lodging, and tuition alone. The frang/lead free ammo requirement makes it probably the priciest option on my training 'short list'. Would be nice to have somebody else foot that bill :D

Glock21

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    IL
    Clint Smith would be right up there for me.

Reason being he's one of the last of the instructors from the era that I haven't trained with and who's still alive.

I would have loved to have trained with Cooper or Cirillo, but alas, that time has passed.

And if it's a "money is no object" kind of thing, I'd like to spend a month with Iverson and go through everything he offers. Henk's attitude on fighting is what I consider the perfect attitude.

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    Carlos Hathcock (93 cofirmed kills in Vietnam, only like two other's had a few more) if he was still alive for long range rifle..... I hear he was a really cool wallmart great before he passed :)

I used to work who a guy who's dad was friend's with him and they lived out in VA..... said he still loved to go out hunting and that nobody at wallmart knew his "background" untill people came asking, said he was a really nice guy.

Last edited:

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    It is my opinion that the two best teachers (I emphasize the word to make a distinction from instructor) are Clint Smith and Louis Awerbuck.

We are very fortunate to have Mr. Awerbuck at Boone County every summer. It is best to take advantage of such a wonderful opportunity.

bigcraig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indy
    And if it's a "money is no object" kind of thing, I'd like to spend a month with Iverson and go through everything he offers. Henk's attitude on fighting is what I consider the perfect attitude.

If money were no object, I would hire Henk as my bodyguard. That way I would never need to carry a gun, EVER!

Joking aside, I agree, Henk's attitude is perfect.

Bisley Man

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Whitestown
    It would be between Massad Ayoob, Clint Smith, or Gunsite. I've read Ayoob's article for 30years,seems the best choice for dealing with the law and aftermath of a SD action.Clint Smith/ Thunder Ranch would be simply awesome, don't know what to say. But Gunsite... shotgun, carbine and revolver, in the Arizona Desert, that would be my choice.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    If money were no object, I would hire Henk as my bodyguard. That way I would never need to carry a gun, EVER!

Joking aside, I agree, Henk's attitude is perfect.

Henk scares me too much. Not as much as Caren, but he scares me too much.

Given that, I agree about his attitude, especially with respect to my limited, civilian view of combat.

riverman67

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 16, 2009
    Morgan County
    Henk scares me too much. Not as much as Caren, but he scares me too much.

Given that, I agree about his attitude, especially with respect to my limited, civilian view of combat.

Is this the guy that clears malfunctions on eyesockets?
    If it is I change my pick from Gunsite to Henk Iverson:draw:

Steve MI

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2008
    At the risk on being flamed to death

I'am looking to guys
    guys like Jeff G(trident concepts) (Magpul) T1G, for shotgun while i love Louie Rob haught has some great stuff as well....Viking tactical as well with kyle lamb and Matt graham of graham combatives, I think do to there recent experiences and training they bring a bit more to the table than some others.... not saying that the training from the others isnt good, but there come a time and place when as shooters and such need to be really pressed out side of your comfort zone and learn some new applications and be tested.......

while i understand love and loyalty to your favorites i have mine i go to every year there is a time and place but there is also a time and place to be outside that happy spot were you all ready know the program etc........

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    Does Jessie Abbate instruct? :wwub:

I haven't really thought about who/where I'd go.

Ayoob comes to mind, don't know who many of the others are... outside of Todd Jarrett and Brian Enos.

I know I need to get books and more training.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I'm kinda old, dumb, stubborn and slow. I'd take whatever wad of cash I could get and throw it in the bank. Then dole it out, with regularity, to the local trainers and those who choose to come here.

I might be way off base, but IMHO regular training trumps a once in a lifetime opportunity.

Top Bottom