• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Just read a newsletter stating that California is doing a study in regards to micro stamping. This is the first step a congressional committee takes before they draft legislation. I know it's only Cali, but if they railroad it through, other states will follow. My question is, How many times does the firing pin have to strike a primer before the number wears off? Perhaps we should obtain some and do a study of our own to determine the proper "break in" period for a gun with this obtrusive piece of equipment.

I saw a study that said as little as 5-10 primer strikes can cause enough distortion to make it worthless for ID. Sorry I can't find the study right now.

ryanmercer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    Actually, I am surprised we still have lakes considering all of the guns that have fallen into them. Pretty soon, I imagine you will be able to walk across most lakes, stepping just on the lost guns;)
    Well you know... guns rust and stuff so see they... dissolve and all that. ;)

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    54   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    I agree...it's a political thing for $$...it's also probably more about fear and control (fear of gun owners and working to get control over us) than it is actually about solving crimes. I used to have a sister-in-law who was so afraid of guns...I offered to show her how to shoot (nicely, of course) so she could overcome her fear of the gun itself and transfer her fear to the proper source...to the holder/user of the gun. She refused. According to her way of thinking...'people shouldn't be allowed to have guns' (obviously she didn't appreciate the freedom she had to say that!)

Funny the leftist mindset/thinking...they will use politics to overcome those of us who have guns...they will then use guns to control those of us without guns.

They have enough evidence for many court cases simply by matching the bullet to the barrel of the gun it's fired from...idiots don't know how to just get rid of the gun.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Unfortunately, that's another issue altogether. This is where they put a serial number on the end of the firing pin so that it stamps the casing with that number every time the gun is fired. What you are talking about was the ammo database in which every bullet has a number on it and is registered to the purchaser. For now, that one is defeated with no signs of resurrection but the cost of doing it was actually included in the bill, they claimed it was $.05 per round to establish the whole thing, but conveniently there was a typo and the bill stated $.5 The microstamping actually IS a law in Cali that took effect Jan 1st, but the company that produces the equipment isn't ready yet, patent issues or something.....Which makes me wonder if there are any guns in Cali even being sold since they aren't in compliance with this new law?

Let me help with some of the real facts about the current CA situtation.

Effective 01/01/10 in CA a law went into effect that requires MICROSTAMPING on new manf. guns sold in CA. This law was signed by the governator back in 2009. It ONLY affects new guns.

Now within the law there was a provision that postponed the law going into effect until the MICROSTAMPING patent was released to the general public. At this time the patent has not been released in part becuase it is tied up in court of legal issues of who owns it. In addition the company that claims it owns it has said they will NOT release it to the general public so in essence the CA LAW while on the books is a no go.

Now how did this all start? Some of you hit on it. The MICROSTAMPING company that claims patent onwership is based out of CA and spent the later part of the last decade getting the 'correct' people elected into the CA legislature so that they could pass this law. However, some pro-gun reps in the CA assembly were able to insert the provision of getting the patent released and thus in effect killing the law.

No way in heck the company is going to release the PATENT as too much $$$ is involved. The CA riffle association (the name is much bigger) is currenlty working with CA legilsators to overturn the law in the 2010 session.

The study that is now being proposed was suggested by the CA police order organization to see if MICROSTAMPING in effect can solve the problem they have (gun violence) since NO study was done BEFORE the law went into effect. This I suspect is just a $$ tactic by another group wanting $$$ for a study which everyone already knows the outcome.

1) MICROSTAMPING can be easily defeated with a file
    2) MICROSTAMPING does not help solve crimes

But that's politics for you.

elaw555

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    I wonder if I'll have to get a Class III license for each of my spare 1911 firing pins..?

As an aside, what happens if a firing pin breaks? Instead of being able to drop in a part do you now have to register it to match a new number to the gun.

Can a criminal simply run a file on the face of the pin once or twice to distort the number and immediately render worthless a multi-million dollar law with 1 min and a 50 cent file from Wal-Mart?

How would you enforce this. Do the police get to check up on your weapon to make sure the number is there. "Pardon me but we need to send this weapon to the lab to make sure the number is there and matches. There is a back up in the lab so it will take about six months to check, you will be able to get it back after a background check"

Crazy liberals.:banana:

Hornett

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Bedford, Indiana
    I just have to be clear on this, because I am not sure I understand.

The criminals, who need guns for nefarious activities, who break the law habitually, who do not have a LTCH, who will run away from police to avoid capture...
    These criminals will not alter a microstamp because it's illegal?
    HAAAHAHAHAHHAHAhahahahahahaaaaaaaa
    :nuts: :lol2: :nuts: :lol2: :nuts:

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Steve44
    Top Bottom