What if ammo becomes readily available soon?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chasekerion4

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Just wanted to get everyone's thoughts on this:

Let's say that beginning in the month of June, all the shelves are fully stocked with ammo; all you could want at the prices they were before Obamanation...

We've all read an article about ammo beginning to ease, and some of us have even seen it beginning to ease somewhat. We've all got our theories behind the 'shortage' and most of us expect the 'shortage' to end at some point.

I've heard from many dealers, etc. that major manufacturers are holding back ammo so that it can become readily available again. Obviously they'll have to hold some back, as 'hoarders' will continue to buy the dribbles and scraps as they come in if it's not a scenario where's there's plenty to go around at one time.

My question is this:

Will you feel like an idiot for stockpiling ammo over the past few months once it becomes available again at the previous prices?

Personally, I will feel a little dumb, and I'm man enough to admit it. While I've purchased MOST of my "stockpile" from Wal-Mart and via bulk at normal rates (lucky enough to catch a couple deals), I have purchased roughly 2,000 rounds at prices I'm not particularly proud of. I didn't pay ridiculous prices, but prices I wouldn't have paid even one year ago.

I don't regret buying this ammo, as I grew tired of constantly looking for it, so I just bought it when it was there at a price I was willing to bend for.

How about you? Will you feel like an idiot? Will you feel like you panicked? Will you feel like you wasted money? Of course, hindsight is always 20/20.

Marshall74

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2009
    Michigan
    I for one would be happy to see it end. If I walked into a store on June 1st and there was a bunch of ammo I have been looking for (9mm) at prices that were inexpensive, I would feel relieved. I dont have much ammo, only 3 boxes of 50 that I was fortunate enough to get from people on another forum selling it. But as far as feeling dumb by stocking up on it, I believe there is no reason for it. I would have done the same if I werent sleeping so to speak. None of us know for sure when or even if the short will end.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    I didn't pay any gouging prices. I curbed my shooting some and did more with .22 but slowly replentished whenever I found a box or two at normal prices. It was good to have a little stashed prior to the frenzy to get me through some training classes and at least some minimal higher caliber range time.

Rlee

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    New Castle, IN
    I for one will stockpile some damn .22lr just because of being low anyways on it and I just ordered some bigger mags. And also no matter what "change" is coming.

Sorry but why trust a dog that has a history of sneaking up on you and biting you. It's won't be easy to get ammo if a people KNOW a ban is coming.

Speaking of, anyone know of someplace with cheap 00 Buck :D

RelicHound

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2009
    SW IN
    I remember when Clinton was elected and everyone was telling me {if your gonna buy ammo do it now!} I wasnt into rifle shooting much then but loved my 22wmr and freaked out and bought thousands of rounds for it at about $4 a box back then...then nothing happened{maybe a slight increase in prices?}..felt like a jack ass then but hey I still have enough 22wmr to kill every damn tree rat in the state:rockwoot: then everyone said the same thing when obama momma was elected...I didnt listen and now I sit here with several firearms I cant shoot because I dont have any ammo for them so I sure hope come June ammo will be more readily avaliable.

WhitleyStu

Keep'em Scary Sharp!!!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    Whitley County/Allen County
    The only factory ammo I buy/keep is for personal protection like HydroShok and I have all I need. All my target shooting ammo is hand loaded . Looking forward to seeing powder, primers, and brass back in stock.

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    Will you feel like an idiot for stockpiling ammo over the past few months once it becomes available again at the previous prices?

Personally, I will feel a little dumb, and I'm man enough to admit it. While I've purchased MOST of my "stockpile" from Wal-Mart and via bulk at normal rates (lucky enough to catch a couple deals), I have purchased roughly 2,000 rounds at prices I'm not particularly proud of. I didn't pay ridiculous prices, but prices I wouldn't have paid even one year ago.

How about you? Will you feel like an idiot? Will you feel like you panicked? Will you feel like you wasted money? Of course, hindsight is always 20/20.

I don't think anyone should feel like an idiot, unless they had tons of ammo and blew through it when prices were sky high. I know some here like to shoot, just like others like to play golf. Well, I don't see how stupid it would be to continue a hobby. If that is how folks want to spend their money, more power to them. I stocked up many, many years ago. I believe that a person should _always_ have 1K on stock of rifle ammo and at least 500 rounds of pistol ammo. I am not a shooter, but do believe in having supplies on hand. I still have 1K rounds of 7.62x39 that I purchased at a gun show many years ago. Don't faint, but I paid $70 for 1,000 rounds!! For whatever reason, I purchased a bunch of bulk ammo when I saw it cheap.

I think it all depends on why you wanted ammo. If you were a shooter, you had to pay, so your not stupid. If you proclaimed to be a survivalist and had thousands of rounds on hand, and went out and purchased thousands more out of fear, yea, I would fell somewhat silly. If you didn't have the money back in the day, there isn't much you could do. Now if you have claimed to be a survivalist for years, then there really was no excuse to have to buy ammo at the crazy high prices.

JBrockman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 8, 2008
    Amity, Johnson Count
    I hope that you are right and the ammo price gouging spree ends in June, if it does I will invest a little more $$$$ in the ammo that I believe the Washington elite want to get rid of. In the past few weeks I have bought a few bricks of .22 when I found it at WallyWorld and usually bought whatever the limit was. The best thing about ammo is you dont need to feed it and it doesnt cost anything to keep around once you buy it!
    You will not make me believe that Barack Hussein Obama is not still thinking of going after the so-called "Assault Weapons" and the ammo that feeds them, after all he is still hugging up with Hillary and the Slickster. So for this reason I hope that for a short while at least that the ammo does drop and become readily available and I will be on the prowl for the best .223 and a few others I can get my hands on.

tdhughes3

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2009
    Ammo supply

I too have heard and seen that ammunition is becoming less scarce. I am sure that producers are ramping up production to capitalize on the recent spike in demand, so it stands to reason that prices will come down.

However, I have no problem with the ammunition that I have purchased to date. I have definitely paid more than I would have liked too, but it is difficult to put a price tag on piece of mind. For thus of us that have stocked up for reasons other than mere price speculation, I think that the previous purchases are a good idea. That is the great thing about buying assets with true intrinsic value.

Just my opinion.

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    I won't feel bad because I didn't hoard, I've ran in to many people who are hoarding stupid quantities of components and ammo and wouldn't even think of helping younger shooters out, I've see the 5th grade mentality come out in small people all over the place, it makes me sick and angers me when people who are in the position to help just sit there and Brag/Complain about how they can't find room to put all their stuff but when approached by a guy with his first gun won't do anything but gloat.

rmcrob

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2008
    Plainfield
    I'm not a hoarder, but I don't feel bad about what I have bought. What if I want to shoot? I need ammo to do that.

The question could also be asked: what if the ammo shortage continues for awhile? That question is just as valid.

rcflyer

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    I went to Plainfield Shooting Supplies to see what ammo they had. They had .38 Special which I needed. But, you could only buy one box. They were rationing. So I didnt buy anything. Went to Liberty Firearms yesterday and they had .38 as well. No rationing, "yet". I bought two 50rd boxes from them. But they said if necessary they will ration as well. I dont stockpile ammo. Usually only 1 or 2 boxes at a time. Will not buy from anybody "rationing". Just my 2 cents.

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    will I feel dumb? no, such things are par for the course. what do you do when they say a tornado is coming? you go to the basement. do you feel dumb when the tornado doesn't hit you? no you are just glad you dodged that bullet. prices fluctuate in everything my security and peace of mind should not, even if that means I spend a few more $$$

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    :hijack:

beating_a_dead_horse.jpg

Turtle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 8, 2008
    INDY
    I only made 1 purchase that was gouged to like 28cents per round. But I made up for it with a AK at last years price.

jmiller676

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    18 feet up
    Plan for the worst, Pray for the best...I would stock up on .30-06, 9mm, .357 mag. .22lr, and more X 39. Plus, then you have ammo to shoot whenever you want.:)

joslar15

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Bloomington
    In the stock market, there is a term called dollar/cost averaging. It is a good thing. In this situation, I am certain, most of the folks you call "hoarders" had a half-way decent supply on hand. As prices rose, the continued to buy, but not quite so much at the inflated prices. So, once it comes back down, their cost per round will go back down as they continue to replenish their on-hand stocks

Just my :twocents:, which probably aren't even worth $0.0075!

Peace.

exile

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    What if ammo becomes readily available soon?

It will, and I'll be able to shoot at the range again!

Top Bottom