• ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

Iroquois

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    Finished loading the .38s....so the weather was nice enough to test fire a few....all went bang and hit where I aimed them. I felt successful, then it occured to me....now I have empty brass again!

Scout

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2008
    near Fort Wayne
    About two weeks ago I ran off to where I have some ammo stashed and brought it home.
    For a couple months now I've been rinsing out used milk jugs and filling them with water. Whether it remains potable or not I don't know, but I can always use it for purposes other than drinking.
    Today I bought a large Molle bag, like this one, but in black. CONDOR-3DayAssaultPackATACS.jpg Paid $100 at GI Joe's Army Surplus in Fort Wayne.
    Also picked up a mess kit while I was there. It's a small start to a BOB.

Iroquois

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    Never ever but never store drinking water in used plastic milk jugs. plastic is not as easy to clean as some think and some proteins will adhere to the inside. About all these are good for is toilet flushing water. Or cut the bottom out and place over tomato plants in spring to help keep the frost offf.Remove the cap so it breathes.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    several years back, I rinsed out some milk jugs using bleach water to sanitize, just to see what the results would be. After several weeks, the water had a bad smell to it. If you just like the thought of having plastic jugs of water, just by a few gallons a week at the grocery. Most places sell gallons of water for around $0.90, and you don't have to worry about killing whatever was in the jug before.

OneShotFOGE

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2013
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Bought a couple hundred rounds of .45. Also got a little more water.

Also, getting ready to start gardening. Studying up on this a bit, since I have no idea what Im doing.
    images

Meister

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    Greenwood

Also, getting ready to start gardening. Studying up on this a bit, since I have no idea what Im doing.
    images

A great reference is "how to grow more vegetables" by John Jeavons

An organic farmer that is a family friend recommended it. Works wonders.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Over the weekend I planted a variety of additional food bearing trees on the property; 4 plums, 6 more cherrys, 10 persimmon, 4 Russian almond trees. I also planted some river birch, and hybrid willows to fill in some space, then Jane magnolias to keep my wife happy and the place looking nice. In a couple years from now people won't recognize the place.

Built the first of my raised beds. This helped my wife decide where she wanted things to go. I've got to find a good local source for some topsoil for the raised beds, but otherwise things are looking good.

Best part was spending some quality time with my oldest daughter who was trying to catch every worm as I dug every hole planting trees. Anything I can do to get a kid excited about being outdoors I'll gladly take.

Iroquois

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    Planted oats , two weeks ago. Up and looking alright , on a plot 50' x80'.....this week planted barley and quinoa....hoping for rain. Also made 4 25gallon planters by cutting 55 gallon drums in half. The plan is to plant potatos in them so they are easier to harvest.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2011

images

One solid recommendation is to improve your soil with organic matter. From experience I can say that Indiana clay actually isn't that bad for quite a few plants (though it's rough on some of the root veggies like radishes or potatoes), but you really want to work in some good manure/compost over time in order to break it down into a lovely loam. If nothing else, it's much easier to water during the summer once you've got the soil past the point where it hardens into an anti-rain shield and just lets the hose water run off...

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    More projects being done around the house. Received a half dozen "Russian Pomegranate" trees in the mail and I'm just waiting for the right time to get them in the ground. Not really a big food producer, but it'll add some variety to the mix. Did some solid training with some good dudes. Looking into a small tractor to help speed up getting projects done around the house.

indychad

Marksman
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    May 6, 2009
    Brown Co.
    Planted 19 blueberries and expanded the garden. Two weeks ago planted fruit trees. Oats and peas are looking good, ready for a rain. Ordered 2k rounds of 9mm. Dry fired every night for the last two weeks, new EDC.

Iroquois

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    One solid recommendation is to improve your soil with organic matter. From experience I can say that Indiana clay actually isn't that bad for quite a few plants (though it's rough on some of the root veggies like radishes or potatoes), but you really want to work in some good manure/compost over time in order to break it down into a lovely loam. If nothing else, it's much easier to water during the summer once you've got the soil past the point where it hardens into an anti-rain shield and just lets the hose water run off...
    My dad always had a load of sand dumped onto the garden plot before the first tilling.....we had yellow clay ....also , planting buckwheat will break up clay....just cut it before the seeds mature and till them in...or harvest them when they're mostly black..

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom