• Status
    Not open for further replies.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Getting the house projects squared away. Ordered a garden tractor with dump cart and dozer blade. Should make chores much easier & quicker. Another reason to store up some gas.

tackshot

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 11, 2014
    Southside
    after a year and half of being in and out of the hospital due to a bad injury I have quite of a medical equipment stash going.
    I went through it all and was able to make a BIG SHTF bag, a normal size car backpack for emergency's, and a first aid kit for the house.

Bluestarbass

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 18, 2014
    Fishers
    I have been refilling water containers monthly. Once you are pretty much full up, its important to stay on some sort of regiment to keep up with expiration dates and such. I am actually doing more with excel spread sheets and such to keep up on that stuff.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I have been refilling water containers monthly. Once you are pretty much full up, its important to stay on some sort of regiment to keep up with expiration dates and such. I am actually doing more with excel spread sheets and such to keep up on that stuff.

We rotate everything...food, water, perishable medications and supply's. We let the water get well below acceptable level this winter. Hard to get ahead of the curve. When it is hot and we are all active it is easy to smash a 24 flat of water in a little over a day.

Bluestarbass

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 18, 2014
    Fishers
    We rotate everything...food, water, perishable medications and supply's. We let the water get well below acceptable level this winter. Hard to get ahead of the curve. When it is hot and we are all active it is easy to smash a 24 flat of water in a little over a day.

So I assume you rotating bottled water? I have some bottled water, but I actually fill 5 gal water jugs made for camping. I have to turn them over more, every 6 months, but I find it easier. I don't drink alot of bottled water at home. Is there a specific kind of water you stick to, or just grab whatever is cheapest?

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    ...I actually fill 5 gal water jugs made for camping. I have to turn them over more, every 6 months, but I find it easier. I don't drink alot of bottled water at home...

What kind of jug/dispenser do you have? I've been entertaining the idea of keeping a couple 5 gallon jugs in my shop for continual drinking to avoid runs to the house and add water storage in a separate location.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    What kind of jug/dispenser do you have? I've been entertaining the idea of keeping a couple 5 gallon jugs in my shop for continual drinking to avoid runs to the house and add water storage in a separate location.

I have some of the blue aquatainers that I use for just having fresh water stored around and staying put. http://www.amazon.com/Reliance-Products-Aqua-Tainer-Gallon-Container/dp/B001QC31G6 These kinds of water containers are good and can take some amount of getting knocked around, but they still don't give me that "bomb proof" feel that I like to have in a product I'm betting something as important as water on.

I also have some of the 5 gallon military cans for storing and transporting water. 7240000893827 SKILCRAFT Water Can, Desert Tan - 5 gal - 5 gal - BuyLCI.com When it comes to water containers that can be tossed around or bouncing in the back of the truck the buylci.com skilcraft water cans are the best that $$ can buy. Having said that you do need to check them out when they arrived. On my last order I bought a tan and green one. The tan one was perfect, but the green one had a problem where the plastic got so thin on the threads that it was nearly see through. Clearly a manufacturer error and I could have sent it back, but instead I've decided to keep it and I just marked the water can with a spray painted "X".

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    So I was wrong, they are 7 gallons. They have a pour spout and everything:

Reliance Jumbo-Tainer Water Container - 7 gal. at REI.com

Ooh, I like that. The company makes a filter/spigot also:
    Amazon.com : Reliance Products LifeGuard Bacteria Filter : Camping Water Filters : Sports & Outdoors

I've also thought about an Igloo water cooler for ease of use and versatility:
    Amazon.com : Igloo MaxCold Beverage Cooler (5-Gallon, Icy Blue) : Sports & Outdoors
    81h8vkiT2hL._SL1500_.jpg

Bluestarbass

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 18, 2014
    Fishers
    The thing the igloos have over what we have discussed is insulation. Since mine is just storage, I sacrificed size for sing able to keep cool. I do have an igloo, and it keeps water cold forever.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    Reliance makes a decent product but if it is going to travel for anything beyond a picnic, I suggest not using them. Reason is that the spigot can be over torqued in the threads and I mean it is easy to do. I have a couple spare caps and spouts to prove it. Just consider that the weak spot.

LCI containers I have had in the back of the truck from -50 to 101 and they do fine.

Holy crap, I just had a brain storm...................................or was it a brain fart? They look the same these days.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Last night I got the raised beds actually "planted" in the ground. Each corner of the bed has a post sticking about a foot into the ground to keep the beds where I want them. Now that my wife finally told me where they had to be to make it acceptable to her eyes I have them in the ground. There'll be some work this weekend filling them up with dirt, and planting shortly there after.

Also, switched my EDC gun from a G26 inside the waistband tucked to a S&W 642 38 special +P snubbie in the pocket. It wasn't an ideal move, but the IWB carry was starting to give me back problems so I had to make a change. The little snubbie shoots really well for such a little gun, but I definitely miss having twice the ammo.

Last edited:

LoriW

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Fishers
    --Picked up my free 50g rain barrel, now I just have to get it set up
    --Did some coupon deals to stock us up on some groceries we go through more quickly then others
    --Exercised the fishing rods (didn't catch any food this time but great practice using different lures)
    --Hit up the library book sales for books on various subjects
    --Snatched up jars/lids for canning/freezing at Goodwill :rockwoot:

jhparsons78

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 20, 2013
    West Lafayette
    Planted my first garden this weekend.
    Tomatoes- cherry and beefsteak
    green peppers
    Sweet potatoes
    lettuce
    green beans
    carrots
    one watermelon plant (my 5 y/o thought it would be fun)
    Haven't worked in a garden since I lived at home b4 college.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    We try and keep (10) 30 bottle flats in reserve and (3) in use with constant rotation. We have (20) 1 gallon jugs stored as well. We have (5) 5 gallon camping jugs stored for washing/cooking.
    We have no preference but will get what is available. Has to be 30 count.

If you do the math even what we have on hand would be a stretch over a period of time. Space is our issue.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom