70   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    Loaded more 9mm.
    Loaded all the CETME .308 mags.
    Ordered a Country Living Grain Mill
    Ordered bulk food storage hardware.
    Made more room for preps.
    Tested out 20+ year old camping/survival food - tasted fine and I'm still alive.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Last night I inventoried and tested all of the two way radios I've bought over the years. It was pretty interesting, and I know I need to change some of my gear now.

I also loaded up 50 rounds of my long range loads for my 30-06.

WETSU

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I dunno, I've lost track, but I worked out like a warrior, shot some guns, fought another man, went through my gear to prep for a class and taught a 30 hour survival class to 13 students. Slept outside in 22 degrees using only my wubbie and a Thermarest Prolite.

Icarry2

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Nov 14, 2010
    Franklin County, VA
    sighted in the new AR
    bought more ammo
    bought more food
    rotated some water
    bought another set of boots
    rotated some fuel
    test ran the house genny
    cleaned the garage a little, needs way more done..
    bought stove pipe for back up wood burner
    loaded 20 mags
    put up new shelving unit and moved preps from floor to shelving
    cleaned basement
    cleaned guns
    bought more 1# propane cylinders for small heaters
    had furnace checked
    trained some, not enough.. need to get into better shape..

As already mentioned, spent too much on preps and ammo and such, need to calm it down to be able to setup new cashe at new BOL..

flagtag

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Westville, IL
    Bought 50 ct. of 22LR for $1.39. Also looked at Taurus Millenium Pro PT 145 Pro in .45 cal. LOVED the way it fit my small hand! Considering a purchase in a month or so.

dcary7

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 6, 2009
    East Coast
    Practiced my proficiency with firearms/archery equipment.
    Refreshed my field survival skills (wilderness)
    Taught a friend some field survival skills - based upon his interest.
    Took him on an overnight in 30+ degree weather with only my survival kit (no shelter, etc)
    Assembled a small survival kit for said friend.
    Reorganized and rearranged some of my necessities.

for the record - I do enjoy this section a lot. A lot of food for thought as well as ideas and techniques I had not looked into and explored for preparation.

+1 to the more experienced folks sharing their knowledge to those of us still learning.

dcary7

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    Adapted all Ruger P-series mags to S&W for use in our Sub 2000. Well, not all mags, since some 15/17 rounder flush-fits with a metal floor plate would not reach the bolt and could not be made to work. All 10, 20 and 30 rounders work, along with any 15/17 rounders with a plastic floor plate. Filing a slot in all the mags turned out to be less work than trying to make and install a Ruger P-series release for the Sub.

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    Last winter we developed a BIG problem with a grain moth infestation....I got about 100 1gal glass jars with lids for free on craigslist and over the summer we nuked all our goods and put them in the jars. Microwaving the stuff kills any eggs found in it even right off the shelf still in the packaging!!! Those eggs are everywhere. We began practicing our rotation and making sure everything got put in the jars straight from the store and got them all labeled and shelved properly...Finally to the point where we need a ton more jars and are well practiced in their use. Oh, we beat the infestation and have received many compliments as the jars are on wire shelf units in the kitchen and are very "rural" appearing. Really pleased too, they keep the food much fresher and make it way easier to inventory and see what exactly we have and what we need. I suspect that properly cleaned and with a good enough lid an O2 absorber would even create enough of a vacuum to seal them pretty darn well too.

Anyone catch that we need more 1gal glass jars with lids? PM me if you have a source....not looking to buy, just willing to collect from bars or restaurants,etc...

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    sighted in the new AR
    bought more ammo
    bought more food
    rotated some water
    bought another set of boots
    rotated some fuel
    test ran the house genny
    cleaned the garage a little, needs way more done..
    bought stove pipe for back up wood burner
    loaded 20 mags
    put up new shelving unit and moved preps from floor to shelving
    cleaned basement
    cleaned guns
    bought more 1# propane cylinders for small heaters
    had furnace checked
    trained some, not enough.. need to get into better shape..

As already mentioned, spent too much on preps and ammo and such, need to calm it down to be able to setup new cashe at new BOL..

I have been preparing for winter but this guy's list makes me feel small. I need to step it up a notch or 5. Replenished and inventory ammo. Organized everything in the gun cabinets. Went through both the B O B's after reading some good ideas on here. Feel better about readiness. Cycled fresh fuel through both genny's. Organized the propane heaters and fuel. Will do more after Christmas. Hope Santa brings me a new night vision optic.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Used this day to get the rest of the list cleared off for winter prep. The wife is on board with this and did her share of shopping to get the stores up to speed. If she has soup on the list she buys double. Same with can goods. Found flats of water on sale today and brought 5 home with her. Also beefing up the first aid bag. I have had to separate the
    medicinal items and first aid kit from the B O B as it has a life of its own now. This may get out of control.

Chance favors the prepared mind

Kmcinnes

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2011
    Hendricks County
    Mostly repaired about 120 feet of fencing that the rain and wind took havick to earlier this week, cleaned out the shed in order to make room for more fuel, the wife pick up some more canned foods, and tonight teaching my 8 yr old son how to service a small engine.

sbsg2005

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2011
    Put anew battery in the truck and the jeep they were both about 5 years old and were showing signs of getting weak, flushed and filled to cooling systems, complete fluid changes, including trans, transfer, front and rear diffs, checked all ujoints and steering components, gotta order ball joints for the truck, grased everything. Swapped out warm weather gear for cool weather gear. Put the top back on the jeep. Gave all my recovery gear a once over to make sure it was all still in good shap and functional after a hard wheeling season. Rotated tires. Bought 3000 rounds of 22lr for the kiddos to make use of their chrismas. Started figuring out what to put in my load bearing vest besides mags and ammo. Getting ready to get my reloading area a permenant area instead of having to set up and tear down each session. Harvested carrots lettuce and leeks from my raised beds. Probably forgot a few things.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    Been working a lot of OT and saving the extra money for preps and such.

Got some more ammo cans. Finally started moving items into the basement area for my new zombie room. Old safe is filling up. More ammo, food and first aid items. Moving one of the BOBs down there and planning to build another for the cache.

Just got the first 55 gallon drum of water into the house. Will be tough to freeze there. Not potable, but close enough for me. Have a very tall crawlspace so I am thinking about moving a couple more drums into there. Almost six foot under ground. Don't see a freeze there at all.

Sold off a couple non-essential firearms and the ammo for them. Tough for me to do since I like almost everything. Also starting to sell off the odd items that we don't use. Old computer equipment, duplicate books and miscellaneous items take up a lot more room that you would guess. That space is being converted for preps now.

Somewhat started a co-worker on the prep path. Gave her an emergency blanket along with my opinion on things. She is moving the right way now.

Need to get new fuel for the genny and check the propane tanks out. Still have the big totes for water that need moved inside the garage and filled.

Did find out that I have the wrong size ankle supports in my BOB. Wife got hurt and I grabbed one... just to find that it is too small. On the list now though.

Last edited:

fatduk1963

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2010
    Warren IN
    makin more jerky , I make jerky every day. went to hobby lobby and got 20# of wax and wicks , gonna make candles on my week off . got 3 more 20# pound tanks of propaine. 100rnds 762x39 , 100rnds 9mm ,200rnds Aguila supermaximum hyper velocity my 1022 "s love to eat em up !! 2oornds of Aguila .22 super colibri for cat/vermon......... traded a cva .44 cap n ball 1858 new army for a 12 ga 870express all done 12-19 been a BUSY day after work .

flagtag

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Westville, IL
    Brought home a cart (?) that the mechanics at work were going to throw away. Once cleaned up and painted, it will make a great grill accesory for the patio. (Lots of room for charcoal, lighter fluid, baskets for dishes and hooks for cooking utensils. Plus, it has HUGE wheels on it. :rockwoot:It's about 3 feet tall, 2 1/2 feet long and about 18 inches wide.

RBrianHarless

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2011
    Kokomo
    Changed batteries. Tested the generator to ensure it is functioning correctly. Cycled out canned food and purchased more. Replaced bottled water on hand with fresh.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom