• ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

TaunTaun

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    Started reading up on BOB (I've always heard of them as GTH, as in when everything Goes To Hell, you grab your bag and go.)

BOB: Started looking for a good bag to build kit around. Doing some pricing of basic items.

Home: The wife and I have been talking preps, and starting to come up with disaster plans. She is clearing us a spot in the basement to put up some shelves. Bank account got pretty depleted with christmas, and buying my new sidearm. I stuck with a .40, so that both of our ammo was interchangeable.

Looks like we'll start with some water, and some MRE's.

Cars: Looking at pre-prepared emergency kits for in vehicles. Did some pricing. She found a pre-packaged kit she likes, but I'm still a bit hesitant. I'd rtather build my own, but it'll at least get us started. Add in a fire extinquisher, and we're set for most road emergencies that we might happen across.

Starting to put together some binders for SHTF manuals.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Started reading up on BOB (I've always heard of them as GTH, as in when everything Goes To Hell, you grab your bag and go.)

BOB: Started looking for a good bag to build kit around. Doing some pricing of basic items.

Home: The wife and I have been talking preps, and starting to come up with disaster plans. She is clearing us a spot in the basement to put up some shelves. Bank account got pretty depleted with christmas, and buying my new sidearm. I stuck with a .40, so that both of our ammo was interchangeable.

Looks like we'll start with some water, and some MRE's.

Cars: Looking at pre-prepared emergency kits for in vehicles. Did some pricing. She found a pre-packaged kit she likes, but I'm still a bit hesitant. I'd rtather build my own, but it'll at least get us started. Add in a fire extinquisher, and we're set for most road emergencies that we might happen across.

Starting to put together some binders for SHTF manuals.

In car "kits" I have seen are lacking. You would be money and material ahead to build your own. Include a good wool blanket or 2 if you have children. A "Good" set of gloves is a must for winter emergency's. You can build from there.

flatlander

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Noblesville
    Recieved my new couch that I ordered. I suppose that means I'm not bugging out anytime soon so I'll just relax and enjoy the season.
    Merry Christmas everybody.

Bob

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Received my (2) slightly used Military ALICE back packs UPS and started organizing everything in the spare room. You guys have set me on a whole new path. Don't know if this counts but I added (2) new 12 gauge shot guns to the cabinet. Bought some bulk ammo at Bradis II.
    The wife was totally involved with Christmas so me staying in the spare room and out of her way was another Blessing. I have to play Santa for the grand kids now so I am out. Merry Christmas to all.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    Christmas morning brought me a few extra pistol and long gun rugs, a new cleaning kit, hard copy of The Zombie Survival Guide and an Eton American Red Cross radio thingy.

Moved more supplies into the bug-in room, including fire extinguisher, batteries, flashlights and candles.

Plan to take time in the next couple days to buy a deep cycle battery and a trickle charger. Add that to some 12 volt lights and the inverter for quiet time when the generator is too noisy.

Now playing video games with the kids. Hey, it's hand-eye coordination training.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I've been watching magpuls "Art of the Precision Rifle" and I'm learning a lot. I've been shooting long range for a couple of years now, but there's still a lot I can learn. It's also nice to see the "Pro's" miss a target every once in a while.

Zero'd my same caliber rifles to a specific handload that I like because they all shoot it well.

I took a week off my diet to build up an important SHTF layer of body fat from Christmas meals. This layer of body fat is somehow tactical though, LOL.

fireblade

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 30, 2011
    Earth
    i ate 2 MRE's from 1992 .......:dunno: when i will go to the bathroom tho :(

that's my prep for the week eating or throwing out some very old stock :D

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I got my son in-law and daughter started on a BOB system tonight. She assisted me in completely re-organizing my bag and medical gear. We used all the dual stuff to get her kit started and she has a BOB well on the way. We made lists of provisions that we will both be stocking. This has been a good evening. I have learned a good bit on here.

strahd71

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    wanatah
    my wife got me two boxes of #4 shot shells, i usually buy 00 but i appreciated the effort and #4's will work fine!

is there anything hotter than your wife buying her man ammo?

jake

fireblade

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 30, 2011
    Earth
    Originally Posted by fireblade

Keep us updated on your condition...I've got a Desert Storm era Franks and Beans I've been eying lately :n00b:

UPDATE:
    good news i finally went :poop:

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    Originally Posted by fireblade

UPDATE:
    good news i finally went :poop:
    Condition? The Truth About Poop: Understanding Stool Color, Shape, and Frequency

On a more serious note...Week four with no grocery store. I do get milk, bread and pop at the C-store regularly though. So far just as expected, low on every day meat, not breaking into the bigger stuff (briskets, hams, big roasts) yet though, we'll go to the store for that as I already intend to hunt small game daily in a real shtf situation....Got the barrel stove set back up in the attached garage and pumping out heat to the house. Propane runs me about 3-4000 per winter, wood=$50 a week. This will be our second winter in this house without using gas, I keep 3 100# bottles that run the furnace for a week each just in case. Drained the sediment from the water heater and replaced the elements, also prepping to build an "attachment" for the barrel stove that will heat water in emergency. Anyone have any experience installing a wood furnace in-line with the gas one? I picked one up from another member this past summer and haven't gotten around to installing it yet. Currently smoking from our tobacco supply and the wife and I have decided to quit now realizing just how much we were spending at three packs a day between us....wish us luck!

This is an annual winter routine for us except the quitting smoking part. It keeps getting easier as we gradually hone our skills and methods of execution. We'll give it another month or so and then move back to normal, replenishing our supplies. This sure helps catch up on rotation.

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom