Not open for further replies.

2in1evtime

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.5%
    64   1   0
    Oct 30, 2011
    retired-midwest
    planted 6 apple trees, 4 peach trees, 2 pear trees and 6 plum trees. also got 2 paw paw trees planted also. these are all at our bug out retirement getaway. also added several #10 cans of different augason foods, my wife stocked up on canning lids and rings and caught a sale on jars also. always adding ammo to both places too along with security items too. was on vacation and got a lot done on the solar panel system, and diesel generator too. things are looking up feels good to get things done!!

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    planted 6 apple trees, 4 peach trees, 2 pear trees and 6 plum trees. also got 2 paw paw trees planted also. these are all at our bug out retirement getaway. also added several #10 cans of different augason foods, my wife stocked up on canning lids and rings and caught a sale on jars also. always adding ammo to both places too along with security items too. was on vacation and got a lot done on the solar panel system, and diesel generator too. things are looking up feels good to get things done!!

That's awesome! It's hard to beat putting food producers in the ground.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    That's awesome! It's hard to beat putting food producers in the ground.[/QUOT

Just setting ourselves up for my very early retirement, my wife is already retired. When you walk out of a grocery store spending 100 dollars and it fits in 4 small plastic grocery bags you have to wonder !!!

Boy you got that right.

Ordered a DustMizer crank insecticide sprayer and 50lb of Diatomaceous Earth. Time to curb stomp the veggie killers.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Yeah, that's the one...just put it together I'll let you know how it works if the wind dies down anytime soon. I currently just have some Sevin to put through it and I don't want to spray a cloud of that into the wind...especially a changing one. The DE hasn't been delivered yet.

Last edited:

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Okay, I took the Dustin-Mizer out this am and used it to Sevin dust 7 fruit trees, a couple of bushes, some wasp nests on the house, a stretch of ground by the drive about 10x30, the lower half of a Redwood tree, a couple of other random trees...all with a one pound shaker can loaded into the hopper.

I then loaded it up with DE and dusted 5 Blueberry, 1 Currant, 8 Gooseberry bushes, several tomato plants, a trellised row of beans a peas, a few dozen corn plants, some zucchini, broccoli, gourds, celery and lettuce then went back up and sprayed some on the ants by the drive again...that only took about 1/2 lb of DE. For point of reference the garden is about 15x30 tilled ground and does not include the fruit bushes mentioned which are against the inside of the fence.

When they say Mizer they weren't kidding. Based on todays usage the 50lb bag of DE I got should last a couple of years.

The way this thing works is like this. It looks a bit like a manually operated leaf blower, you put the powder in the hopper on top. When you turn the crank it simultaneously turns a sifter over a screen that drops the dust into the air flow created by the associated blower.

As some of the online reviews noted it's ergonomics aren't perfect but if you get tired of holding it by the rear handle and cranking you can always brace the handle against your body like a stock and grasp it by the area where the discharge chute attaches to the body of the machine.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Finally got a stainless steel water bottle (kleen kanteen 40 oz) that I can use to boil water in an emergency. Nalgenes don't last long when you put them in a fire! (although they work find in microwave oven. Hah!)

It also fits my stainless cup (the kind that Nalgene bottles fit into) and both fit in my pouch.

Also learned that Aqua Tabs (chlorine dioxide) are less expensive than Aquamira or Katadyn chlorine dioxide tablets.

LoriW

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Fishers
    Today I purchased my dual burner propane stove, nesting pot set for cooking on it, 2 fire strikers and some emergency blankets (the foil ones), all for under $20.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Finally got a stainless steel water bottle (kleen kanteen 40 oz) that I can use to boil water in an emergency. Nalgenes don't last long when you put them in a fire! (although they work find in microwave oven. Hah!)

It also fits my stainless cup (the kind that Nalgene bottles fit into) and both fit in my pouch.

Also learned that Aqua Tabs (chlorine dioxide) are less expensive than Aquamira or Katadyn chlorine dioxide tablets.

You'll love that kleen canteen. I've got several of their products and keep a 64oz in both our vehicles in addition to a 32oz pathfinder kit like this. GEN3 Stainless Steel 32 oz. Bottle & Nesting Cup Set - Self Reliance Outfitters? This kit happens to be 15% off at the moment and every time they have a sale on these, I buy at least 1. It's an excellent package for the $$.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    You'll love that kleen canteen. I've got several of their products and keep a 64oz in both our vehicles in addition to a 32oz pathfinder kit like this. GEN3 Stainless Steel 32 oz. Bottle & Nesting Cup Set - Self Reliance Outfitters? This kit happens to be 15% off at the moment and every time they have a sale on these, I buy at least 1. It's an excellent package for the $$.

The lid for the cup is cool.

Here is what I have:

40 oz Kleen Kanteen:
    31Vs6MQN5PL.jpg

GSI Outdoors Cup:
    31jrM3gbhxL.jpg

Rothco bottle pouch:
    81bGCVcz5cL._SL1500_.jpg

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom