Not open for further replies.

DurangoUSMC

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 28, 2014
    Indianapolis
    Well....

Decided a few things. Decided to get more active in tbis forum which brought to light some info I hadnt heard yet which is always nice.
    Decided to start making an honest effort to start networking to find some like minded folks and share some ideas and maybe some support from time to time.
    Kept working on the generators too.
    On the hunt for a better job.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    You guys are on the right track with getting water put up. I keep 4 aquatainer 7gallon jugs filled up at all times. I'm fortunate that I have a river behind my place that's an easy walk so unless the river ever completely empties I'm solid as long as I've got my berkey. ..

Wonder why folks buy so much water with filtration available such as this?

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Wonder why folks buy so much water with filtration available such as this?

I can see why people would still buy plenty of water. There's a lot of places where people live where there isn't a short walk to a pond or river. I don't think the answer is in having incredible amounts of water stored or just having the means to filter it, but somewhere between the two based on everyones own situation.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I can see why people would still buy plenty of water. There's a lot of places where people live where there isn't a short walk to a pond or river. I don't think the answer is in having incredible amounts of water stored or just having the means to filter it, but somewhere between the two based on everyones own situation.

^^^^^^^this^^^^^^^^

WETSU

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Wow, Its been awhile since I've posted, but the past week or so,
    I've worked out a ton, including a ruckmarch.

I spent 3+ hours in the "dojo" throwing, rolling, and working arm bars/wrist locks. Ow.

Got some range time in. G19, AK.

Dry fired twice. G19, AK, Shotgun.

Taught a 6 hour survival workshop to a family group. Good people. Much learning.

Hooked up a HAM radio in my Jeep.

vzdude

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 98.2%
    54   1   1
    Jan 20, 2011
    Kentland, IN
    Finally bought a bug out bag, or get home bag. Guess I'm gonna keep about the same stuff in it either way, but nonetheless , have a bag. Got a couple more 55 gallon food grade drums. Gonna keep all 4 in the basement and full. Have filtration just in case, but I think the water should stay potable in these sealed drums . Got a couple more shelves for the basement stores free from the garbage! 3/4 plywood, heavy duty - Score! Wife still isn't convinced there is any need for "all of this" . As much as I hate for anything bad to happen, I almost wish somewhere in the US, it would. Just as a scare, or as a convincing agent for her. It gets tiring doing it all myself! Be safe y'all !

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural

^^^^^^^this^^^^^^^^

Why wouldn't you filter your tap water for storage as opposed to buying it?

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Why wouldn't you filter your tap water for storage as opposed to buying it?

I see what your saying now.

For the money we spend to get the water already bottled ($3.80 for 40 bottles) it is easier to stack/store for us. Also for .89 cents a gallon for distilled water we can get 4 of those in a milk crate and stack/store with ease.
    The gallon jugs would be for cooking/hygiene. The bottles would make rationing much easier as well.

We have thought about refilling the small bottle but time is an issue. I suppose less ingo time might help but then I think......Nah.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I see what your saying now.

For the money we spend to get the water already bottled ($3.80 for 40 bottles) it is easier to stack/store for us. Also for .89 cents a gallon for distilled water we can get 4 of those in a milk crate and stack/store with ease.
    The gallon jugs would be for cooking/hygiene. The bottles would make rationing much easier as well.

We have thought about refilling the small bottle but time is an issue. I suppose less ingo time might help but then I think......Nah.

If you generate a lot of empty 2 liter bottles (like I do), you might like them better than the gallon milk jug water containers. The 2 L PET bottles don't leave a weird taste in the water and they're a lot more rugged.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    If you generate a lot of empty 2 liter bottles (like I do), you might like them better than the gallon milk jug water containers. The 2 L PET bottles don't leave a weird taste in the water and they're a lot more rugged.

Agree on the rugged.
    They come filled with distilled water for cheap and they fit into milk crates for stacking.

bigus_D

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Country Side
    I ran.

Lost 20 lbs last year. This year have stabilized on weight but have dropped about 8 minutes on a 3 mile run. Down to 27 minutes on a 3.15 mile run.

remington870

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    Hebron
    With last winter being as harsh as it was, and with this winter being forecast as even worse than the last, Ive been looking at my winter gear. I was stranded for 3 days at my house in January. Luckily, I had power still. But if I was stranded for a week, or say SHTF and Id be stuck until the snow thawed, I may have been in a pickle. With propane being expensive, Ive been looking at a wood stove. My fireplace works, but its not very efficient. Ive been looking at various winter weather gear items. My coveralls and Carhart jacket work, but in the long run I might need something more, especially if I have to walk. With 6+ foot snow drifts and abandoned cars, my 4X4 Ram could barely make it out my drive, but not at all down the road. County had to bring in a payloader to dig out the road. In another situation like that, travelling by foot would really be the only method of travel. Just some things to think about.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    With last winter being as harsh as it was, and with this winter being forecast as even worse than the last, Ive been looking at my winter gear. I was stranded for 3 days at my house in January. Luckily, I had power still. But if I was stranded for a week, or say SHTF and Id be stuck until the snow thawed, I may have been in a pickle. With propane being expensive, Ive been looking at a wood stove. My fireplace works, but its not very efficient. Ive been looking at various winter weather gear items. My coveralls and Carhart jacket work, but in the long run I might need something more, especially if I have to walk. With 6+ foot snow drifts and abandoned cars, my 4X4 Ram could barely make it out my drive, but not at all down the road. County had to bring in a payloader to dig out the road. In another situation like that, travelling by foot would really be the only method of travel. Just some things to think about.

We are in Northern Minnesota,originally from the Franklin/Whiteland area.Our normal weather is a cold emergency in Indiana.Last year when Indiana was shut down we where following the Beargrease(dog sled race) in -30F with 60+ mph winds at Devils Track(a lake).I only mention this because I have only one pair of bibs that even function in that kind of cold http://www.refrigiwear.com/Iron_Tuff/id-0385/Iron-Tuff™_High_Bib_Overall and up here it can mean life or death.The refrigiwear has been reliable and quite a few up this way swear by them for hunting,ice fishing,or running sleds(snowmobiles).A winter kit is required in every vehicle as a matter of survival this far north.Snowshoes make walking in snow much easier as well,and if you shop around you can find them fairly cheap on places like ebay or even spring clearance sales.Also when driving in deep snow forget 4 wheel high go with 4 wheel low as torque will move you when hp and speed just sit and spin.

aylnrm.jpg
    [/IMG]
    Blake Freking, left, and Nathan Schroeder touch hands on Devil Track Lake during the John Beargrease Sled Dog Marathon. Freking was heading into the check point, Schroeder was heading out, when they passed on the lake. Schroeder went on to win the Beargrease. Photo by Candace Watson.

Speaking of preps.Pulled glowplugs on both diesel trucks cleaned them all and replaced one.Split more wood.Winter is coming.

Last edited:

masterdekoy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Columbus
    Tested my latest incarnation of my bug out bag over the weekend at red river gorge. Found I was carrying a little too much. Its amazing how fast little stuff adds up.

bradmedic04

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Sep 24, 2013
    NWI
    I just bought a lot more water. Firewood incoming. New generator slated for purchase in the coming weeks, along with a couple barrels of gas and some more propane.

I always figured stuff that runs on gas won't hold out long if there's a real, true societal breakdown, but it's nice to think of having it in some of the more common short term hiccups.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    Spending the day today cutting dead ash trees for firewood. I've already got more than I had this time last year, but I plan to keep cutting more because you never know.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom