• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • downzero

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2010
    Just because you go through a college, does not mean you are a professional. There are many people I went to college with who I would never consider a professional.

I guess they didn't teach logic in your BS program. I already pointed out that professions require education beyond college, and that this was a necessary, but not sufficient condition.

Eddie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute
    15 weeks? Really?

Law school is 3 years beyond college, and the ABA requires a college degree to attend law school. That's 7 years.

15 weeks doesn't even compare. A college degree alone requires eight 15-week semesters, and even that is insufficient for entry into any profession. Surely you must be joking.

How is this relevant? That you're required to attend continuing education as a condition of continued certification does not mean that you have a professional license to perform anything.

But there is no national board of police officers who can deny you from ever serving as a cop again for shady behavior.

Exactly. That is why no uniform ethical code governs their actions, and this alone is sufficient to say that policing is not a profession. The ethical rules of professional organizations don't differ when one crosses a political boundary from one town to the other. And all of us have to follow the law as a condition of being allowed to walk freely in society, so that's hardly evidence of anything.

I've done both jobs. Made it through the police academy and got hired by a decent sized department (Bloomington), then got admitted to a top forty law school (IU) and made it through their three year program in 27 months. Both are professions despite your attempt to hand craft a definition otherwise. After I earned my degree I got licensed to practice in both Indiana and Illinois.

Ethical rules do differ for lawyers from state to state. There is no national board of lawyers that can pull my licenses, it goes state by state.

If you ever get a chance to really do both of these jobs you might notice some similarities:

-everybody rags on both professions
    -when TSHTF most folks will call a cop or a lawyer faster than they'll call their own mother
    -both jobs are really hard to do and there aren't a lot of bright line rules to follow

Walter Zoomie

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 3, 2008
    BeechTucky
    What pisses me off about lawyers...and I don't mean the ones on Main Street who hang out a shingle...I mean the ones in government who make laws:

They perpetuate their own need to exist. They pass stupid laws which, most times, the Average Joe can't possibly decipher and understand without their help...which costs the Average Joe big bucks.

The quality of justice one is able to get in this country seems directly proportional to the quantity of money one is able to pour down a lawyer's rat-hole.

None of the above is true of cops.

:twocents:

PS...I am well aware that everybody hates cops and lawyers...until they need one.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I've done both jobs. Made it through the police academy and got hired by a decent sized department (Bloomington), then got admitted to a top forty law school (IU) and made it through their three year program in 27 months. Both are professions despite your attempt to hand craft a definition otherwise. After I earned my degree I got licensed to practice in both Indiana and Illinois.

Ethical rules do differ for lawyers from state to state. There is no national board of lawyers that can pull my licenses, it goes state by state.

If you ever get a chance to really do both of these jobs you might notice some similarities:

-everybody rags on both professions
    -when TSHTF most folks will call a cop or a lawyer faster than they'll call their own mother
    -both jobs are really hard to do and there aren't a lot of bright line rules to follow

Finally, someone with a cool head and experience to back up his views! You also didn't write a small book to make your point. You must not have ever been in politics. I have to give you props!

downzero

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2010
    I will try to keep from knocking you over as you are running from danger and I'm running into it. Or is your first instinct when you hear gunfire is to run to it rather than cower in fear...at least that is mine.

I'm not even sure how to respond to this. I know I didn't run away the last time bullets were whizzing over my head. But thanks for making this personal.

Courts have already ruled that police have no duty to protect any individual. So while I appreciate your concern, I'm sure you'll be there after the fact to draw lines around my dead carcass, take pictures, and generally record matters if that ever happens to me. But since it's more probable that I'll be struck by lightning and die, I won't worry too much about this happening to me.

If you think that's a general disrespect for law enforcement officers, so be it. I have an entirely different view of what law enforcement is and isn't.

I also find it hilarious that my posts here have resulted in positive reps and positive comments, and neg reps claiming something to the effect that my head should be examined. I'm happy about that. At least people can think critically about the issue even if they disagree.

I have made 150 or so DUI arrests over the years (not a super amount but more than most) and have been in many DUI trials. You want to see big money attorneys...DUI pays near the top. As a result, those lawyers can be quite aggressive. Same goes for the depos. Not once did it seem personal. These guys were getting paid a crap load of money to do their job. If it were me paying the bill...they better be earning it. Some of the guys curse the lawyers but I am betting that if it were their butts in a sling, they'd be calling on those same lawyers because they produce results...as they should. Both sides go after the other at trial but once it is over, we laugh and tell stories. We shake hands carry on as professionals. I am not too big to tell a lawyer "good job" if he/she won the case fair and square. Sometimes we are quick to condemn the profession. That goes for many other professions...INCLUDING LAW ENFORCEMENT. ;)

I actually agree with most of what is said here. Reps to you.

In fact, I think it's a tremendous sign of maturity compared to j206 for you to say that, rather than calling accused persons "worthless POS."

I tend to think that no matter how worthless someone is, they deserve to make their case in court, and do so effectively. I don't look at the fact that police officers have to go to depositions or testify as a mere formality, but fundamental to their role as an administrator of the law.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom