What happened to all the war protesters? Abducted by aliens? Kool-Aid OD?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I listen to NPR quite a bit, and they've mentioned the protesters plenty, had a few shows with experts discussing both sides, etc. (I know it isn't as fun as listening to someone angrily rant while presenting only one side, but I still find it interesting).

Looming Syria Vote Prompts Protests : NPR

If you can't find coverage of protesters, perhaps you're looking in the wrong places. Maybe tv news isn't covering it, I don't know since I don't bother with "better to be first than right" news programs.

Heh, so "better to be LEFT than right" news programs are more accurate? I think either way, truth in reporting anymore is more coincidence than journalism.

I listen to NPR as well, but only as one source among many from which to triangulate what's most likely to be real. They all have agendas whether it's trying to be first, "left", or "right'.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Heh, so "better to be LEFT than right" news programs are more accurate?

Typically, yes. There's been plenty of links to stories from NPR on these forums that were friendly to gun owners, for example. I think I get a much better understanding of an issue listening to a panel of various viewpoints discuss it. Shows like All Things Considered, Diane Rehm, etc.

Now there are shows like Tavis Smiley that I avoid just as much as I avoid any other single personality "I'm incredibly offended by "X" and you should be, too" shows on other networks.

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    NPR is leftist leaning, but I do think they at least try to be neutral about things. It is not the easiest thing to be neutral when you have a strong personal opinion towards certain topics. If NPR were staffed by Republicans it would probably be right leaning.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    NPR is leftist leaning, but I do think they at least try to be neutral about things. It is not the easiest thing to be neutral when you have a strong personal opinion towards certain topics. If NPR were staffed by Republicans it would probably be right leaning.

That's the whole point. When you're personally invested in an ideology even your attempts to be objective with opposing views still ends up representing them as straw men. If you get your news from one source, you will not get the whole story. I often listen to NPR. But I would never rely on them for accurate reporting.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    When you're personally invested in an ideology even your attempts to be objective with opposing views still ends up representing them as straw men.

Unless, of course, you actively recruit intelligent and articulate people from different areas of the political spectrum who actually believe the ideas they espouse (as opposed to espousing whatever they believe will enhance ratings). Not everyone strives for the echo chamber model or the constant imminent catastrophe model of reporting, and will actively seek out those who disagree to provide a more balanced presentation or debate.

That said, the question was do I think NPR is more often accurate than television news. The answer is still yes. Any delayed media, from radio programming to news magazines, has longer to research and edit before presenting a story, and as such is less likely to present "facts" that are premature or inaccurate. TV news wants to be first so badly that they end up telling us about Capt. Sum Ting Wong and his co-pilots. TV news used to be a loss leader for television, something you lost money on but did for the prestige and to draw viewers. Now its a major profit center, primarily through the manufacture of outrage, "reality tv" style debate, and the imminent catastrophe presentation. "Is your tap water killing your children? Tune it at 11 for the answer."

Hotdoger

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Boone County, In.
    Problem is NPR is an ECHO chamber with leftist bent facts from leftist mindsets. Nightly news was always the most watched TV time slot and has the highest ad rates. With the advent of other news sources it became the loss leader. Also the outing of the lying leftist news producers has turned segments of the population to look for other sources. Dan Rather ring a bell?

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish

"This is not of court of law. And intelligence does not work that way."
    "The common-sense test says he is responsible for this He should be held to account."

WH CoS; Dennis McDonough- as quoted in the Journal Gazette this morning. Topic: Lack of "irrefutable, beyond-a-REASONABLE-doubt evidence."

Why should INGO be held to a higher standard than the White House? lol

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 21, 2011
    An interesting conundrum: Will the press cover them like they did during Republican administrations? :dunno: How conflicted the MSM must feel! :popcorn:

Beings i havent seen a single mainstream news outlet call for the support of bombing Syria, why would they have a problem showing people agreeing with them?

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Unless, of course, you actively recruit intelligent and articulate people from different areas of the political spectrum who actually believe the ideas they espouse (as opposed to espousing whatever they believe will enhance ratings). Not everyone strives for the echo chamber model or the constant imminent catastrophe model of reporting, and will actively seek out those who disagree to provide a more balanced presentation or debate.

That said, the question was do I think NPR is more often accurate than television news. The answer is still yes. Any delayed media, from radio programming to news magazines, has longer to research and edit before presenting a story, and as such is less likely to present "facts" that are premature or inaccurate. TV news wants to be first so badly that they end up telling us about Capt. Sum Ting Wong and his co-pilots. TV news used to be a loss leader for television, something you lost money on but did for the prestige and to draw viewers. Now its a major profit center, primarily through the manufacture of outrage, "reality tv" style debate, and the imminent catastrophe presentation. "Is your tap water killing your children? Tune it at 11 for the answer."

That may be the question you answered, but the question I asked was,

jamil said:
    "better to be LEFT than right" news programs are more accurate?

The point was, the leftward NPR is no more reliable than right leaning "news" shows. Shows like All Things Considered, and The Diane Rehm Show are opinion shows and are no more accurate or trustworthy than the same kinds of conservative leaning shows. They are, in function, "echo chambers" for their own bent. They understandably present content with the beginning premise that their position is the "correct" one and allow just enough opposing viewpoints to say they did, and often present them in the context of straw men.

However, I will say that for headline news, their affiliation with BBC news is generally helpful. As lefty as BBC news is, I have to commend them for their initial Benghazi reporting. Shortly afterwards, while all of our networks were reporting that it was an overblown protest over a video, BBC was reporting that it was a group affiliated with Al Qaeda.

All I'm saying is, if you only listen to NPR, you'll only get their spin. You can't accurately triangulate a true position from only one point of reference. I listen to all of them, and assume none of them are telling me the full story.

N8RV

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 8, 2012
    Peoria
    Unless, of course, you actively recruit intelligent and articulate people from different areas of the political spectrum who actually believe the ideas they espouse (as opposed to espousing whatever they believe will enhance ratings). Not everyone strives for the echo chamber model or the constant imminent catastrophe model of reporting, and will actively seek out those who disagree to provide a more balanced presentation or debate ...

In theory, I would agree. However, using Fox News as an example, in their effort to be "fair and balanced," they often have regulars and guests from the left to add balance to their analyses. The likes of Alan Colmes and Bob Beckel (I suppose your qualifier of "intelligent and articulate" excludes them) are SO entrenched in their ideologies, however, that they go to ridiculous lengths to support even the most idiotic things that the left does. When commentators of any stripe are that blind to reality, any value that they brought to the table is absent.

We all know people like that. There are some here on INGO (imagine that!) No matter how obvious something is, they go to extremes to present even an untenable opposition, just for the sake of argument. I don't get that mindset and never will.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    In theory, I would agree. However, using Fox News as an example, in their effort to be "fair and balanced," they often have regulars and guests from the left to add balance to their analyses. The likes of Alan Colmes and Bob Beckel (I suppose your qualifier of "intelligent and articulate" excludes them) are SO entrenched in their ideologies, however, that they go to ridiculous lengths to support even the most idiotic things that the left does. When commentators of any stripe are that blind to reality, any value that they brought to the table is absent.

We all know people like that. There are some here on INGO (imagine that!) No matter how obvious something is, they go to extremes to present even an untenable opposition, just for the sake of argument. I don't get that mindset and never will.

See what I mean? I usually find myself disagreeing with the liberal position, but to know their best argument you have to get it from a liberal outlet. You won't get that on Fox. Colmes, Beckel, and to some extent, Juan Williams, are paid role players. They're straw men paid to let people like O'Reilly, Hannity, and others knock them down. I rarely agree with Colmes anyway, but I've often wondered when he's going to retire from being O'Reily's *****.

Manatee

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Indiana
    I looked over at Daily Kos (dKOS) which is probably the benchmark for non-media liberal websites and have been very strong Obama supporters. The great preponderance of comments on that site over the past few weeks have been ANTI Obama and anti-war against Syria. Obama is losing the left in droves. Are they protesting? Not as much as writing their congressional reps and senators. Obama has lost a majority of the left on this issue.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I looked over at Daily Kos (dKOS) which is probably the benchmark for non-media liberal websites and have been very strong Obama supporters. The great preponderance of comments on that site over the past few weeks have been ANTI Obama and anti-war against Syria. Obama is losing the left in droves. Are they protesting? Not as much as writing their congressional reps and senators. Obama has lost a majority of the left on this issue.

I think the media has lifted the ban. It's now permitted to speak against the holy one on certain topics now that Hillary is heir apparent.

Dauvis

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2013
    Morgan county

He's actually been losing them for longer than this issue. He started losing them well before the Occupy movement. They have not been happy on his lack of action towards the fraud that led up to the 2008 collapse.

Top Bottom