• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rdbs505

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 23, 2011
    Benedryl to help keep it from spreading through your blood stream. Witch Hazel will help the topical itch. It's cheap too. Wash with warm soapy water and PAT dry then apply

I always heard using cold water on poison ivy was best, due to the warm water opening the skin pores up. ?

bdybdall

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2012
    If you've been exposed use dish detergent or shampoo and lukewarm water to remove the toxic oil, urushiol, and make sure that nothing else is contaminated with the oils, such as clothes, boots, tools, the dog. Benadryl will help with any allergic rxn and all the ointments listed previously may be beneficial. The steroid pack will definitely help if you get a scrip but watch out for the side effects.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    I always heard using cold water on poison ivy was best, due to the warm water opening the skin pores up. ?

Incorrect. Wash the limb with warm water to open and pores to help get the oil out with dish soap. Cold water will close the pores and trap the oil. You want to get the oil off your skin and out of your pores.

HenryWallace

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    Ok, so we all know that everything in nature has its opposite. In the case of poison ivy, jewelweed is the natural counter active.

I don't know where you are coated but if you're close to US 31 on the south side north of the greenwood park mall, there's a Natures Pharm store on the east side of the street. There's also a store up in Castleton.

What at you want is a Burt's Bees poison ivy soap. It's a mixture of jewelweed, clay and pine tar. It's like $7 for a bar but it absolutely works.

I'm super lucky as I'm immune to poison ivy but my wife is highly allergic. We ourselves are kinda like jewelweed and poison ivy.

So far buckstopshere has the best natural remedies that I've seen. (I don't even take Aspirin, but that's just me, us, all of us all natural nuts...)

Also try this...
    The Best Poison Ivy Remedy in the World - YouTube
    Or my wife uses baking soda with water, and in the onset of it you can use cold coffee with the baking soda to take away the itch. Also Straight aloe is great for taking the stinging down...

Kagnew

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Columbus
    There was a time (long, long ago) when pharmacies carried a liquid called "sugar of lead". Probably the greatest thing ever made for poison ivy. Of course, the government decided that caused birth defects in lab rats, or something, and pulled it off the market.

wolfman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    S Side Indy
    Benedryl to help keep it from spreading through your blood stream.

Poison Ivy rash is caused by an irritating oil being deposited on the skin via contact with the plant, or some object or animal that came in contact with the plant. Poison Ivy rash can not, and does not spread through the blood stream.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    Poison Ivy rash is caused by an irritating oil being deposited on the skin via contact with the plant, or some object or animal that came in contact with the plant. Poison Ivy rash can not, and does not spread through the blood stream.
    It stops the histamine reaction though. So you're both right :)

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    hraGueO.gif

blackenedman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    Fels Naptha soap. In a bar, in the laundry isle at the grocery, very cheap. It will strip your skin of any oil, so only use it where needed.

Top Bottom