Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Ignoring the entire history of man and just using the last 20 years, any time anything extreme happens, it is always followed by extreme human behavior. A weapon is maybe .01% of preps until you need one and then it is 99.99%.

Hard to keep your preps without a mindset that you plan to do exactly that.

Even OJ Simpson's trial became life and death for some.

True enough. You cannot be fully prepared or even moderately prepared without a weapon. Last spring it was spelled out clearly for me. Rifle, shotgun and handgun all need to be there.

riverman67

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 16, 2009
    Morgan County
    Somebody make a note, when the storm of 78 anniversary pops up, lets do a remember when thread.

it was the best winter of my childhood
    Just off Christmas break and the storm happens
    2 more glorious weeks blasting around the country on a JD spitfire snowmobile delivering mail because the postmans jeep wouldn't make it.
    I was almost 12 , my how times have changed

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    But the extreme can happen anywhere at anytime and with no warning....

A big store of food and water will be useless of you get shot on Day1.

True. I'm not advocating against having a means of self-defense. I was answering a question from what appeared to be someone new to prepping who indicated that he already had a firearm and wanted to know what to look into next. Having the power or water go out or having a major snow/ice storm that stops travel for a couple of days are also risks that you can easily and fairly cheaply prepare for. No real disagreement on your point. Just wanted to direct him to other possibilities.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    2 more glorious weeks blasting around the country on a JD spitfire snowmobile delivering mail because the postmans jeep wouldn't make it.
    We had an Arctic Cat Panther we brought with us from North Dakota. I was 14.

Never even heard of the term "snow day" until I moved to Indiana.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Ahhh...

The Blizzard of '78...
    So much fun. So much trouble...
    Did you know that some Mothers will get very angry if you ride a Snowmobile up the snow drift and across their homes...

There really needs to be a book published of the stuff that makes Women/Mothers angry...

Kase

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 6, 2010
    Crawfordsville
    Ok, Ive realized I'm not real prepped, so besides canned foods and water jugs, are there any other types of foods I could stock up on? And how long do canned foods and water last before they are inedible?

I'm good on the weapons and ammo, but I need a lot of help with the eating and drinking part of surviving.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    True enough. You cannot be fully prepared or even moderately prepared without a weapon. Last spring it was spelled out clearly for me. Rifle, shotgun and handgun all need to be there.
    Yes they do. I learned the same thing. First shotgun, then handgun then I realized real rifles were required as well.

For me, the rifle lesson came from dog packs, but a pack is a pack be it dog or human and 20 to 1 odds are a joke with a 4+1 870 and some extra ammo in your pocket. It also made me up my shotgun game too.

Handgun and light after violent confrontation in the home of a relative. Relative won that round but it also reminded us 1 is none.

You know, when the OJ riots kicked in, they rolled through an area I spent a fair amount of time in as a kid when I lived in LA. My Uncle still lives there and he had his hot shot job etc.....the riots hit around his work AND his home, The Forum and Long Beach. He was lucky then and to this day he relys on luck or flying out to the Midwest.

Isn't it funny though that people can talk about preps here but many many people in our own families never get it. I fully understand why Dad gave up on the California side of the family after we left.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    What if I make you the Supreme Leader of The Minions?! :dunno:
    I am in. That was easy.

Did you also know it does not matter what your Mom or any mom thinks IF you wear a helmet while driving a snowmobile. Well, as long as she only carries a purse, no gun in it and a pie in the other hand. 34 years later, my Mom still brings up New Years Eve 1976 when I said trust me Mom I won't jump any drifts.

Who trusts a 13 year old? I blame her for the whole thing.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    I am in. That was easy.

Did you also know it does not matter what your Mom or any mom thinks IF you wear a helmet while driving a snowmobile. Well, as long as she only carries a purse, no gun in it and a pie in the other hand. 34 years later, my Mom still brings up New Years Eve 1976 when I said trust me Mom I won't jump any drifts.

Who trusts a 13 year old? I blame her for the whole thing.

Exactly!!!

All though my Mother would probably be still be beating you to this day... She can get really mean when she is mad...
    LOL

MarkR

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Indianapolis - West Side
    Many good comments by lots of folks. I have a question though...
    "Dredd, have you learned anything, or at least received a satisfactory answer to your question?"
    I'd like to hear from you again.

dhnorris

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    hidden in a wall of mud
    I was 12 and sledded and sledded and sledded and then sledded some more. my parents had a propane fired generator and the neighbors stayed with us for a while.

moischmoe

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Noble County, IN
    ok so i have the guns and ammo, whats next? Money is very tight wife is not working so what is the next step for people like me who wants to be ready!

Each week, buy a couple extra cans of food that could be eaten cold, or maybe a couple gallons of water. You don't have to buy everything all at once. Everytime time I go shopping, I get a few more things to keep around- just in case.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    Exactly!!!

All though my Mother would probably be still be beating you to this day... She can get really mean when she is mad...
    LOL
    My Mom went to Psy ops stuff.............and I quote exactly here:

"You gotta sleep some time, and when you do I am going to stove you in with a 2x4"

Yeah, I don't sleep so good, I keep a lot of Benadryl in my preps too. It helps! Book#4 "My Mom is so Mean/Tough she......."

This thread prioves it, you can't totally prep for every contingency. You prep your mind and the rest will follow. Ghandi Zoub has spoken.

Top Bottom