• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    Most of us are "prepping" for weather related events first, then the longer term preps for economic reasons. Food, and other staples will most likely not drop in price, so, if you buy now and have it stockpiled, you will be ahead of the curve.

Some (myself) remember hurricane Katrina and the scenes we saw from there, I have no intention of allowing that to happen to me. Looters and hordes of gangbangers (zombies) will have to look for easier pickin's than they will find at those of us who are ready to survive.

This.

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    its always said. we prepare so that one day when something happens we aren't hoarded into the super dome to be assaulted, raped and or murdered. if your not clear on the atrocities that occurred during hurricane katrina in the super dome read up on it.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    I prep so that, if we have real collapse, I'll have the means necessary to take over. I'll start out by assuming control of my subdivision. Then, I'll expand out, continue building my army, and become the Warlord of Brownsburg, then Hendricks County. Eventually I'll be the Warlord of the Midwest.

I already have a few people who have agreed to serve as my generals, and a couple dozen more who will be showing up to form the core of my army. We'll pillage, loot and recruit as we go. Join or die.

You'll all quake in terror at the mere mention of my name.

ocsdor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    Lafayette, IN
    I prep so that, if we have real collapse, I'll have the means necessary to take over. I'll start out by assuming control of my subdivision. Then, I'll expand out, continue building my army, and become the Warlord of Brownsburg, then Hendricks County. Eventually I'll be the Warlord of the Midwest.

I already have a few people who have agreed to serve as my generals, and a couple dozen more who will be showing up to form the core of my army. We'll pillage, loot and recruit as we go. Join or die.

Until the Postman puts a stop to you, and your own general blows your brains out.
    postman.jpg

The Postman (1997) - IMDb

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    Many different scenarios that one can prepare for. The New Madrid and Wabash Valley faults pose the largest possible disruptive event that could hit Indiana. The one in 1811 was felt as far away is the east coast of the US. If a 7.7 earthquake happened tonight, most of the natural gas and gasoline pipelines and interstate traffic that crosses the nation would be cut. The Mississippi barge traffic would be stopped with hundreds of bridges damaged or destroyed in the Midwest. It is estimated that smokestacks as far away as Wisconsin would be toppled. FEMA is going to conduct a nationwide earthquake disaster response exercise this spring, based upon such an event. More info here; New Madrid Fault Intro: Site Map

2ADMNLOVER

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    West side Indy
    Looters and hordes of gangbangers (zombies) will have to look for easier pickin's than they will find at those of us who are ready to survive.

THIS ^^^

When the power and water goes off (weather or attack) , I'm NOT going to be at a store fighting over a loaf of bread . I'll be working with my neighbors .

Arm America

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2009
    West of Greenwood
    Good responses to a valid question.

Each of us have a choice, the decision is ours to make.

Just having a few things put back can make the difference of whether you
    eat the dog or have tuna casserole.

I prefer tuna.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield

Stay in your subdivision and you'll be just fine.:D

To me people just seem to have SHTF and TEOTWAWKI intertwined and can't separate it in their mind.

I think most people here in Indiana will once in their lifetime be subjected to a SHTF weather/natural disaster related moment that will create havoc for them over at least 2 or 3 days, with a 10% population chance having a longer event.

The above is what I'm prepped for with enough supplies that could last 3-4 months.

As far as a TEOTWAWKI event, time will tell. People who are prepped to survive 6 months or more will soon meet their match with people who have achieved supreme pilferer/plunderer status that have perfected their tactics to get what they want/need.

A TEOTWAWKI event is something NO ONE can fully prepare for, you might think you're fully prepared, but there will be flaws that will be needed to be rethought and planned because of what kind of event that ultimately creates it. Those that can adapt and create will be at the advantage.

I hope I never have to see that time frame in my lifetime, but I do plan on be prepared more than the average "Joe".

oldfb

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Valpo
    He had to go to three stop n robs to find the tinfoil he needed. He will be back soon enough.

Had he been a basic prepper he wouldn't have needed to buy the tinfoil it would have been in his cupboard already.

It is nice knowing we have more than three days worth of food if anything weather related happens.

wrigleycub

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 29, 2010
    West side of Indy
    My inlaws were without power for 2 weeks when the big ice storm went through 10 or so years ago. Yeah, nothing like that has happened during your lifetime.

I hate to correct you, but, just for fun, it was 24 yrs ago. I was in 2nd grade, and that was back when school wasn't cancelled for wind or clouds. LOL

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    The hurricane winds that came through here 2 or 3 years ago were the closest thing I have seen to a SHTF event. We were without power for a week, and we had plenty to get us through the ordeal. Oh, and I had plenty of guns and ammo around, and everyone in my home is prepared to use them. You never know when society is gonna hit the panic button or when some douche is gonna come around impersonating a cop or something.

My main fear in a SHTF situation is the people who skoff at the ones who prepare, because they obviously aren't too bright to begin with.:twocents:

Jerry D Young

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2009
    Reno, NV
    As for what I prepare for, I prepare less by type of disaster than I do by basic needs. The basic needs are pretty much the same, no matter what the disaster. As I meet my goals for the basics I do specific things for specific disasters. There really aren't that many individual elements that aren't appropriate for several sets of circumstances. My ultimate goal is to be as self-sufficient for as long of a period as it is practical to be in modern society.

This is a list of the things I consider when I’m making preps, in no specific order after the first four (No. I’m not ready for all of them yet. And yes, some of them simply call for having your affairs in order.)

Armageddon

Global nuclear war
    Limited nuclear war/attack

Chemical/Biological war/attack
    Weather Modification attack
    Major conventional war
    New colonial activity (Fr., Sp., Port., It., Germ., Japan, China, Russia, UK, Brazil, Ven.)
    A new Persian Empire
    Invasion of the US
    Regional climate change
    Global warming
    Global cooling/Ice Age
    Celestial object impact/near miss

Nemesis induced Oort Cloud meteorite rain
    Black hole appearance
    Dark matter/anti-matter incident
    UN/One World Gov
    NWO (New World Order)
    US Coup
    US revolution
    Government Tyranny
    Anarchy
    Rogue Military Activity
    CME (Coronal Mass Ejection)
    Ozone layer depletion
    Solar radiation increase/decrease
    Gamma ray burst from neutron star collision
    Earth orbit shift
    Magnetic pole shift

Rotational pole shift
    Earth Core Cooling

Massive tectonic activity
    Grand Alignment induced tectonic activity
    EMP attack (Electro Magnetic Pulse)
    Major nuclear power plant incident

Utilities failures
    Terrorism in about a thousand different forms
    Martial Law
    Travel restrictions

Communication restrictions
    Weapons restrictions
    New, more restrictive assault weapons ban
    Total gun ban
    Local/regional gun grab
    Gold/PM restrictions
    Gold/PM recall
    Rampant inflation
    Major economic depression
    Nationwide/global economic breakdown
    Personal financial breakdown
    Loss of job

Personal/family catastrophic illness
    Bank closure/failure/mandated bank holiday
    Strikes/boycotts/embargoes/price controls

Food shortages/price increases
    Crop failures
    Drought
    Water shortages

Shortages of goods and services for a variety of reasons
    Peak oil
    Fuel shortages/price increases
    Limnic eruption
    Methane Hydrate release
    Environmental disaster
    Gulf Stream shutdown
    Overpopulation
    Rapid Population Decline
    Social break down
    Widespread civil unrest/riots
    Aztlan/Reconquista Uprising

Civil war
    Ethnic war
    Racial war
    Religious war
    Resource war
    Refugees
    Becoming a refugee
    Landslide/mudslide

Brownout
    Blackout
    Avalanche
    Hurricane
    Hypercane

Tornado
    Earthquake
    Flood

Sea level rise
    Sea level drop
    Tsunami
    Mega Tsunami (La Palma, West Antarctic Ice Sheet)
    Volcano

Mega Volcano (Yellowstone Caldera)
    Lahar
    Pyroclastic flow
    Blizzard
    Hail

Severe Lightening
    Heat wave
    Sinkholes
    Antibiotic resistant bacteria
    Epidemic
    Pandemic
    Pestilence
    Rainforest deforestation

Forest fire/wild fire
    Fire storm
    Sand/dust storms

House/apartment/building fire
    Hazmat incident
    Medical emergency

Local major accident (aircraft/auto/rail/building)
    Airplane crash
    Automotive accident
    Vehicle breakdown/stranded
    Shipwrecked/marooned
    Becoming lost in the wilderness
    Becoming lost in the megalopolis
    Crime wave
    Local major crime
    Dangerous wildlife confrontation

Wild animal rampage
    Released/escaped dangerous zoo animals
    Addictive Entertainment
    Eco-system collapse
    Out of control bio-genetics/bio-technology/Nano-technology/robotics
    Sub-atomic particle research accident
    Advanced Technology disaster
    Extraterrestrial biological contamination
    Evidence of extraterrestrials
    Hostile extraterrestrials
    Peaceful extraterrestrials
    Biblical flood
    Biblical plagues
    Second coming
    A New Messiah
    The Anti-Christ
    Zombies/vampires/werewolves/other supernatural dangers (just kidding!)

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Nothing makes it more clear that being prepared is important than having your furnace go out on a Sunday and the temp outside is 12 degrees.

Forget right now about extended outages, how about a simple one like this? Are you prepared? I was, my furnace ignitor went out and I had another. Other than that, I am not prepared.

If there was a problem with food delivery to the grocery stores for whatever reason, then there would be a run on food. Are you prepared? Yes you can go for a long time without food, but how about water. Are you prepared?

It is a worthwhile intellectual pursuit to ponder these questions as your life or the well being of your family may depend on it.

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    i prep to be prepared. i really hope teotwawki happens so all the stupid fools die off. not preparing for a SHTF scenario is just hurting yourself. example; ever ran out of toilet paper mid wipe? but then you remember you have a stockpile? its a warm nice feeling to know you have that covered ;)

Top Bottom