• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sgt.Striker

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 15, 2012
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    fair enough. im not against training classes in any way. i probably should have mentioned that my dad is also an ex marine corp DI and hes taught me about defending myself as well. i was just making the case that training with firearms can come from any number of places not just a classroom but i respect your point of view as well actaeon.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Yes. And in your case, you had your Dad. She doesn't have that option, family was a no-gun-experience family.
    Too many people go to the range, by themselves. That's a good start. Basics are important.
    But a coach (such as your Dad) can see things you don't. A coach has experiences you don't. Even if you have MORE experience, he might have something DIFFERENT that applies.
    Its hard to find your own mistakes.
    Easier to have someone else find them.
    I'm just clarifying.
    I think we are on the same page.

mlzoiss

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2012
    Carmel, IN
    I'm not sure, but I think Ditto is a FEMALE. At least I think it was something from another discussion.

And I'm a 45 yr old steelworker, with 6 years on a submarine. Not really worried about MY man card. Sanitizers are a good idea to clean the lead off you before eating.

Can sanitizer really clean lead off your hands? Seems to me you'd just be rubbing it around. We were taught in our Basic Pistol class that you should be washing with cold water after shooting. And everywhere we've shot so far has a sink.

It sucks for you and everyone else that did not grow up in a setting where they could learn basic gun handling skills as a kid. I guess I and many others should consider ourselves very fortunate to have learned what we did at such a young age

Yeah, sucks that I grew up in the Chicago area. No plinking in the backyard for me, especially since I just got done complaining about my anti-gun mother.

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    IDPA sounds like fun, Dusty! I'll definitely look in to it when I can do a little more than embarrass myself.

Thanks again everyone! :ingo:

Everybody has a first match, and going to one is often the most difficult thing a shooter will do. But, if you are willing to take a chance, sports like IDPA and USPSA are great ways to put into action the skills you've learned and practiced in a dynamic, stressful, safe and fun environment. Almost to a person, shooters are some of the kindest and most helpful people on the planet so c'mon out and join us, even if it is no better reasons than to see what the fuss is about and to put names with faces!

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Can sanitizer really clean lead off your hands? Seems to me you'd just be rubbing it around. We were taught in our Basic Pistol class that you should be washing with cold water after shooting. And everywhere we've shot so far has a sink.

Obviously flowing water and soap would be better. Why wouldn't hand sanitizer be able to take stuff off your skin? Do we need a special one developed for lead?

Not everyone shoots near a sink.
    Don't fall into the trap of "just because I don't need it, others won't".
    If she doesn't feel she needs it, she can disregard. Won't hurt me one bit.
    My advise is free.
    Its value is probably free.
    Money back guarantee.

ditto

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 3, 2012
    Newburgh
    Some kind of hand cleansing wipe doesn't seem like a bad idea at all.

It was already mentioned but yes Sgt.Striker you are very fortunate to have had your father as your firearms mentor. I don't currently live in the same state as any of my family, of whom either have little to no knowledge of firearms themselves or are simply apathetic to my interest. So I believe I'll benefit greatly from some classes.

That being said, INGO and people like Mr.O have been amazingly helpful and patient with me. As time goes on I do hope to be able to participate in some events and meet more INGOers. :)

mlzoiss

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2012
    Carmel, IN
    Obviously flowing water and soap would be better. Why wouldn't hand sanitizer be able to take stuff off your skin? Do we need a special one developed for lead?

A bottle of liquid hand sanitizer is meant to kill germs on your hands, it doesn't actually clean your hands. So unless you are wiping them off as well, you wouldn't be removing lead.

Top Bottom