• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    Well it certainly ain't gonna be with Gabriel.

I'm taking an NRA basic pistol safety class in a couple weeks. I figured that'd be a good place to start.

Thanks everyone for your responses and suggestions :)

It sucks for you and everyone else that did not grow up in a setting where they could learn basic gun handling skills as a kid. I guess I and many others should consider ourselves very fortunate to have learned what we did at such a young age

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    SHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!

I wanted that man card.... :(

Oh the possibilities! Thanks for outing me. THANKS A LOT.

;)

Gotta keep track of those. Can't hand them out to everyone... :)
    Besides, mostly men on here. Therefore, easier to remember who is not...

Rocket57

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 19, 2010
    In denial
    I see a lot of staple guns listed. I just carry a roll of 3/4" masking tape for targets. Takes up less space, weighs less, and I can always see how much is left.

MuayThaiGuy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2011
    Hendricks County
    I don't know if you are planning on carrying or just shooting at the range but a sturdy belt will help in either case, especially if your range allows drawing from your holster.:twocents:

ditto

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 3, 2012
    Newburgh
    I'm sorry for the gender assumption I should know better. I still find hand sanitizer silly.

Absolutely no need to apologize. Actaeon, however, DOES owe me an apology for revoking my man card for no good reason other than the fact that I am, in fact, not a man. Bully.

It sucks for you and everyone else that did not grow up in a setting where they could learn basic gun handling skills as a kid. I guess I and many others should consider ourselves very fortunate to have learned what we did at such a young age

Yeah, it sucks pretty bad. Actually I'm getting really depressed just thinking about it. I think you owe me a bag of Cheetos and possibly a Slim Jim at the very least for the turmoil you've caused me to relive.

JimmyR

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Clark County
    Part of this depends on where you are shooting. I, for example, shoot in an indoor range across the river, so I get my targets there- no need for staples.

Eyes and ears are a must, and I think the suggestion about carrying both is a good one. I prefer ear plugs, and my fiance prefers muffs, but I always keep a spare set in the bag just in case.

Ammo, Ammo, Ammo, of course.

What I found worked for me were some gun rugs- soft bags to keep my guns separated. Normally when I go to the range, I take 5 or 6 guns with me, and normally shoot all of them. My bag doesn't have enough dedicated pockets for all of them, and me walking in with 5 guns in holsters on my belt would look pretty ridiculous- probably since my pants would be around my ankles. I keep each gun in a rug until I am ready to shoot it. I got lucky and found a bunch in different colors, so I can more or less tell which is which.

Water or money for water- Again, in an indoor range, with 5-6 people shooting next to you, in can get pretty warm. Dehydration is easily avoided, and should be.

For me, I generally don't bring my tools/cleaning supplies. If I have a failure that needs repair, I will do what I need to to make the gun safe (i.e. remove any ammo, etc.) and fix it at home. If it is really serious, my range has a gunsmith on site. (This is partially due to being an indoor range, and they charge by the 1/4 hour.)

As for another general purchase, I don't know what gun you are getting, but if it doesn't have one, consider a plastic carrying container that locks. Handy until you get a safe, and useful if you ever need to fly with your gun/carry it across state lines.

Hope this helps!

MbMinx

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    Indianapolis Area
    I recommend extra magazines and something like that Uplula reloading device. I've got one on the list for the next paycheck.

Shooting is a lot more fun if you don't have to reload every few shots. It's also a lot more fun to reload when you aren't busting your thumbs up shoving bullets into the magazine.

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    Do you already have your pistol shooter target practice card? It just so happens that I am an authorized dealer! Just send $200 to Viperjock. $250 if you want it in multicam. :D

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    Extra mags or speedloaders, mag / speedloader carriers, and a good gunbelt. And the most important thing not listed in the OP... a license to carry handgun.

Raskolnikov

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Condescending much? I shouldn't even have to say this but yes, I'm slated to take a class later this month.

Not really. You'd be surprised how many people skip the training and just figure that pointing and shooting is all they need to effectively use a firearm. Glad to hear you aren't one of them! :yesway:

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    Not really. You'd be surprised how many people skip the training and just figure that pointing and shooting is all they need to effectively use a firearm. Glad to hear you aren't one of them! :yesway:

20 years ago that is exactly what the EPD told me when I was downtown doing the paperwork for my LTCH at the time. I asked if they could recommend a place for training, they looked me straight in the eye and said just point and shoot. I was not very amused at the time

ditto

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 3, 2012
    Newburgh
    And the most important thing not listed in the OP... a license to carry handgun.

Got one, baby! ;)

And you guys are right about the training...perhaps the comment just rubbed me the wrong way a little...I'm only human. :)

I am in total agreement training is a cornerstone of responsible gun ownership. I take this very seriously and am eager to become a well educated, well trained gun owner. I still want some Cheetos.

P.S. I put my gun on hold today thanks to a lead from Mr.O! Next Thursday it shall come into my possession!! :D

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    Got one, baby! ;)

And you guys are right about the training...perhaps the comment just rubbed me the wrong way a little...I'm only human. :)

I am in total agreement training is a cornerstone of responsible gun ownership. I take this very seriously and am eager to become a well educated, well trained gun owner. I still want some Cheetos.

P.S. I put my gun on hold today thanks to a lead from Mr.O! Next Thursday it shall come into my possession!! :D

Now once you've gotten some skills down, you need to take the next step and join those that shoot IDPA up at Red Brush Rifle Range. Lots of good folks up there and always happy to have a new shooter show up and participate. Participating in the shooting sports is a fantastic way to meet new friends, see new gear and to get out and exercise your 2nd Amendment Rights along with your brain AND your trigger finger!

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Actaeon, however, DOES owe me an apology for revoking my man card for no good reason other than the fact that I am, in fact, not a man. Bully.

Hmmmmmm.
    I'd invite you to the range instead of an apology, but I don't think you can get any farther apart, in the same state.
    And, look up mythology of actaeon. That's why I can't let you have a man card.

Raskolnikov

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2012
    Indianapolis
    20 years ago that is exactly what the EPD told me when I was downtown doing the paperwork for my LTCH at the time. I asked if they could recommend a place for training, they looked me straight in the eye and said just point and shoot. I was not very amused at the time

Maybe the felt they needed to be the only ones with training. I've heard way too many negative things about officers in that department and their treatment of people who carry. Very unfortunate.

ditto

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 3, 2012
    Newburgh
    IDPA sounds like fun, Dusty! I'll definitely look in to it when I can do a little more than embarrass myself.

Thanks again everyone! :ingo:

Sgt.Striker

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 15, 2012
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    i agree that training is important. but it doesnt HAVE to come from a class that you pay for. All my training came from my father who started me out with pellet guns and bb guns when i was 8 or 9 and slowly progressed me up from a .22 to a .410 all the way up to ak's and ar's. all the while teaching me about firearms safety and range etiquette and everything else a responsible gun owner should know. if you have someone in your life who is knowledgeable about this stuff maybe you could ask them to take you under their wing and show you the ropes

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I think anyone would benefit from a defensive type class. Shooting defensive is different than range time. And it helps to have a coach. Hard to accurately judge yourself.

Top Bottom