• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    I'd get an M&P before I got an XD. Don't really see the point of the grip safety, it's not like it has a hair trigger like a 1911.

That said, I carry a G23 as my EDC. I also have a .40 to 9mm drop in barrel and G19 mags so I can shoot whatever I can find.

.....and I also own two Fords...

I love Glock because you can work on them yourselves, find parts and armorers locally and there are more upgrades and accessories than just about anything but an AR-15.

XDinmyXJ

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    Columbus, IN
    Yes you can beat them! I prefer the Xd over the Glock. Glocks to me have an uncomfortable grip, no natural point of aim, and just do not feel right. They are good guns, in their own right. The Xd is going to be a bit chunkier, because of the bigger slide. It also has a trigger, and grip safety. Allot of people bash them because of that. Say it's one more thing to fail. Well look how many 1911's are out there! It all comes down to what feels best to you. Maybe you yourself, will not like the grip safety. Best advice, is shoot both if you can. See which is the most comfortable, the easiest to operate, and you shoot the most accurately with! Because in the end, you are the only one needing to be happy with what you purchase! Happy hunting!

Let the Glocks are the best parade begin!

X2 they are not a bad gun at all. Just not a good fit for me. My XD 9 is awesome. My Buddy has an XD45 and the difference in kick is minimal at best. Either way you'll have a good gun bu I prefer the XD.

southern.in.guy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 15, 2010
    switzerland county
    I have a G23 and it's a fine gun and so is the XD but I would also consider the M&P. I have shot all 3 and the G23 is what i bought and thats mainly because I got a very good deal on it. If I had to pick I like the M&P for the way it feels in my hand. It has a low center of gravity and this makes it easier to manage recoil. It also has the different back straps for the grip so you custom fit it to your hand. The Glock would be 2nd but with this gun and thats only because I had to add grip tape to to the grip because I found the polymer grip kinda slick and I have a gen 3 with the finger groves. I just don't like the way the XD feels in my hand. These are all fine guns but it needs to fit you if your not comfortable with the way the gun feels you won't shoot it well. So get what feels right.

barrelmaker_2002

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 8, 2009
    Rochester, MN
    Pick the one that fits in your hand better and that feels more comfortable to shoot. Either the G23 or XD will be a fine choice. Or the M&P for that matter. Everyone will (and has) given you an opinion, but only your opinion after checking out your options really matters.

I would carry any of these really. They are all great guns.

barrelmaker_2002

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 8, 2009
    Rochester, MN
    I vote Glock. External safeties have no business on a defensive gun.

I have to disagree. Though much more gently that the people on a 1911 forum would.

With proper training, just about any type of pistol of a reasonable size, capacity and caliber is a legitimate choice for self defense.

I will concede that someone with limited time or resources for practice is likely better off with a simpler gun (like a Glock or even a revolver), but not everyone falls into that category and a well trained person will likely shoot better with a 1911 because most 1911's have a much better trigger than any striker fired gun.

kingnereli

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    New Castle
    i was leaning more towards the xd what do you guy think of the xd m 40cal

The XDm's are fantastic guns. The ergonomics are a little more massaged then the XD. The magazines hold four more rounds (in 40 s&w.) The factory trigger travel is greatly reduced (still light and crisp.) The grip texture is better. The grip size is customizable (backstraps) and surprisingly thin for the capacity.

XD's, in both forms, are easy to work on. There are a couple of tricky spots, but there are tricks to make those easy as well. Anyone with half a brain and a little patience (I see a funny comment coming over this sentence) can do any necessary maintenance and repair. The XDm has a few extra parts on account of the auto takedown feature. (you don't have to pull the trigger to field strip.) XD's also have an actual safety in the form of a grip safety. They also have devises to protect against malfunction commonly referred to as "internal safeties."

There are ton of available accessories; almost everything a person might need. A few different DIY trigger job kits, barrels, extended slide stops, mag extensions, replacement grip safeties, mag releases, etc. There are a couple of companies I know of in the R&D stage on replacement steel triggers. The only thing I can think of that I would like to see that isn't currently available is a .22 conversion. There are rumors of some on the way but right now they are just rumors. You won't be able to find replacement slides with flames and lighting bolts engraved on them or back plates with super hero logos but...well...MEH.:dunno:

The M&P has been mentioned as another option. I have a lot less experience with the M&P then I do XD's or glocks. I've held several and shot a couple. That's it. My impressions are that the ergonomics are probably a smidgen better then the XD. The circumference of the grip is just shaped right and all models come with interchangeable backstraps. They have thumb safety models available in every size and caliber. They're also american made. :patriot:

The only negatives I can think of are some models have a silly magazine disconnect. Though you don't have to have it if you don't want it. The main thing for me the cost of a trigger job would have to be factored into the purchase price. The factory trigger is heavy and gritty. Though, from what I understand, this is an easy and inexpensive fix that anyone could do.

Glocks have been around the longest of the three. Thusly, they have widely available accessories and armorers. They are easy to find for a good price and usually sell quickly if you, for some reason, need the cash. They are simple to work on yourself and have minimal parts to worry about. I feel that there are several things about glocks that are poorly designed. That is, the chamber, grip angle, no available safeties, trigger action and so few factory options.

I think a combination of research and getting any gun that you are considering in your hand is paramount to making a good informed decision. All three guns will run when you want them to and shoot where you point them. We can (and have) debate the intricacies of handgun design all we want. Really, it's just a matter of being informed, discovering what fits best in your hand, feeling the difference in recoil characteristics and getting what you will be comfortable and confident with. Don't settle for anything. Don't follow any particular crowd. Don't bend to pressure. Question conventional wisdom. Lastly, remember we're all just a bunch of strangers on the internet.

baldmax

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    North Liberty
    I have owned many Glocks in the past(19,21,22,23) I now own a XD45C as my EDC. I like the way the XD fits in my hand, it points better. It carries as comfortable as the glocks. It is as reliable as the glock. For me, the XD is, and will be, the better choice.

Top Bottom