• mk2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina
    Of course, as rhino will tell you, I always dress like this when carrying:

mb4x14.jpg

Sheesh, those are some awfully short tights. I can't believe you fit two guns there. And that top won't really do much for covering up anything.

tk6968

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Central Indiana
    For reference, I think this is the sentence you were talking about.

When I read that, and let it soak in, it sounds more like a general statement related to something like, "Do you know how fast you were going?" "Oh, about 60." "I clocked you at 63 coming over that hill." "Yeah, give or take."
    As opposed to responding, "I've been going 55 the whole trip. I wouldn't even think about speeding, offisah."

Everybody knows that you shouldn't try to lie about how fast you were going because that just isn't going to help, so it makes more sense that that is what wtf was thinking of when he wrote that. I don't believe that not telling the officer you are carrying is what he was after, especially since there's no way he can know you are being dishonest, whereas he already knows how fast you were going.

I mean, It doesn't really matter one way or the other to me. I was just speaking up because you were a bit abrasive and came down kinda hard on the guy when what wtf said wasn't really grounds for claiming his attitude was responsible for common anti-LEO sentiment. If nothing else, give him the benefit of the doubt until he explicitly says something that really seals his coffin about it. That's what I try to do.

Caleb

Despite your rambling comment above, I will stand by what I wrote, and I believe that I have the insite and experiance to make an informed opinion on this matter.

hickuleas

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Oct 5, 2009
    deep in the woods
    I always tell the police officer i am carrying a weapon. It has been my experience that some common courtesy goes a long way. If it's night/dark outside i will turn on dome light and roll down window. Just my opinion.

Chefcook

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Raccoon City
    My father taught me at an early age that when dealing with LEO's to always be polite and courteous. (Yes sir, No sir, Thank you sir.) However he also taught me to never volunteer any information or to submit to any searches. I always carry concealed and prefer to retain that anonymity so I do not inform the officer at the onset that I am carrying. However if he asks me if there are any weapons in the vehicle I respond, "Yes sir I have a pistol on my right hip, would you like to see my LTCH." I have heard too many stories from others about informing at the onset and having their weapon temporarily confiscated, unloaded/disassembled. I have been pulled over while carrying and not notified the LEO of my carry status and never had a problem. It just seems to me that things go smoother this way, and also because I am not sure how I would respond to a LEO asking for my firearm, I am not saying I would refuse to comply but I would probably do so under protest. I believe the safest place for my firearm is in its holster on my belt. I carry a 1911 cocked and locked and I would prefer to avoid all the manipulation of unloading and loading that goes along with handing over my firearm, I do not feel that the front seat of a car on the side of the road is the safest place to be preforming these actions, even under the strictest measures of safety accidents still occur.

wtfd661

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    North East Indiana
    Despite your rambling comment above, I will stand by what I wrote, and I believe that I have the insite and experience to make an informed opinion on this matter.

Um no you don't. I can see that I wasn't clear with what I wrote. What I meant was exactly what mk2ja was attempting to explain to you. When I said honest it was a general reference to being honest to me during the stop, call, or in whatever the circumstances are for the contact.

Sorry for the misunderstanding.

jsgolfman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Greenwood
    While volunteering that you have a pistol do you also tell him you have a hammer, tire iron, ice scraper, etc.? All of those items can be used as weapons, why single out the handgun?

finity

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 29, 2008
    Auburn
    Based on this & the other closely related thread (the one that had an officer threatening deadly force for what in most cases would just be a misdemeanor - carrying a handgun without a license), where is the law that says it is illlegal to lie to a police officer?

Can you plead the 5th if you are doing nothing illegal (as in if you HAVE a LTCH & are carrying)? I think you can. Just because you don't answer doesn't make you guilty or give RAS just as denying the request to search is not PC to perform a search.

tk6968

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Central Indiana
    Um no you don't. I can see that I wasn't clear with what I wrote. What I meant was exactly what mk2ja was attempting to explain to you. When I said honest it was a general reference to being honest to me during the stop, call, or in whatever the circumstances are for the contact.

Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Um yes I do. Your statement was quite clear to me.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    I have a question..

Does IC 35-47-14: Proceedings for the Seizure and Retention of a Firearm, have anything to do with taking my handgun during a traffic stop ?

Here is the link for those of you who don't like cut n paste...

Indiana Code 35-47-14

01deuce

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    walkerton
    While volunteering that you have a pistol do you also tell him you have a hammer, tire iron, ice scraper, etc.? All of those items can be used as weapons, why single out the handgun?

Funny you say that. In 2008 i was on my way to a golf outing with a co worker when i was pulled over for speeding by ISP (in a mustang) i said nothing and gave him my license and registration when asked. Then he asked if i had any other weapons besides what was in the back seat. I said sir those are golf clubs, but i do have a carry permit and a handgun.He asked where it was and i told him and he said just leave it there,and declined to see my LTCH when i offered. My co worker was a little freaked though as he diddnt know i carry.

Oh and i got a ticket.

P-Shooter

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    A buddy of mine has been pulled over a couple times while carrying. I know he volunteered that he both had a weapon and permit, and received no hassle at all. I've only been pulled over once while carrying, in fact we had a small arsenal in the trunk as 4 of us were on our way to the range. He gave us no problems, I was the only one actually carrying and had my permit with me. Actually said that he appreciated me telling him about the weapons. Still got a ticket though. All the other times I've been pulled over I wasn't carrying, so it wasn't an issue. (Apparently I speed less when I'm armed) Once when I was a teenager I got pulled over and when being asked if I had any weapons in the vehicle I told him that I had a machete in the trunk. When he asked why, I simply stated that many people carry a bat in their car, but I preferred a machete because it took up less space. He seemed ok with that and told me to slow it down. When I think about it now, I chuckle. Can't believe I told him that :): These days, the most important thing is to keep both hands on the wheel until he asks for your license and registration.

mathews28

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    in my case state officer seen my permit when i was getting license and asked if i was carrying. i replied under the seat do you want me to get it. he replied no and that was it.

Top Bottom