What do you say when a guy badmouths your gun???

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Greensburg
    I wasn't selling a gun but I did take a NIB Commercial Magpul CTR to a show recently, just trying to trade it for a Mil Spec one, I would have even given a few bucks to get a trade done. Anyway, the only guy in the building with AR's asked me what I had and what I wanted for it. I told him $80, he got a real wierd look on his face and comes off with,"I can get them at cheaper than dirt for $45" I said "that's funny, I looked at their website this morning and they didn't even have one listed, let alone for $45." I turned and walked away while his buddy behind the table with him busted out laughing at him!!

Rey B

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 25, 2008
    The same thing I taught my daughter to do if someone exposed themselves to her ....point and laugh then walk away.

bigman502

Plinker
    Rating - 75%
    2   1   1
    Feb 27, 2010
    Jeffersonville
    Thats how it always is at these shows.If you have a gun dealers will tell you thats a old piece of junk but if those dealers have the same gun it is a rare antique.As always though this is only a small number of dealers and these jokers never do good business.If you are an honest dealer and make good trades and represent your products truthfully you will have many repeat customers for years to come.Also you have to keep in mind that these dealers are at these shows to make money and have overhead costs to account for so if they offer you what you think is a lowball offer just say no thanks.

WestSider

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Apr 16, 2008
    Putnam County
    People at gun shows want something for nothing. That is why they are always asking you "what you are selling" even if you aren't selling anything. I just ignore them as you did.

Bluedragon

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Muncie
    I remember another story of when my friend tried to trade a W. German Sig P220 in with night sights in 45acp. He was trying to trade it into good ol Fred from Ludco gunshop. He was offering him $150 for it in trade. Being the gun my friend who was wanting to trade for a S&W99 in 40 cal that was around $300, friend wanted his gun plus $150.:laugh:

Last edited:

JBusch8899

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    There are two values of firearms to a dealer: Purchasing price and Reselling price.

Its simple economics from this stance, as buying low and selling high, determine the dealer gross profit. Many dealers prefer used firearms, as there is no msrp attached, as there are to new products.

A used firearm might actually be worth $800, but to a dealer looking to make a profit, its only worth $550.

In any case, for anyone to do what this individual did, deserves to be listed on INGO's dealer site as a big -1.

Newbomb92

Expert
    Rating - 88.5%
    23   3   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    NW Indiana
    It's just like a car salesman. I've gone to buy a car and trade mine in. They had the same car I was trading in for 10k more with more miles, I laughed at their trade offer and sold it for 2k higher than I paid. Always hold out, someone will pay what you want.

Bowling_R

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    Guilford
    Buddy,
    I went through the same nightmare last 1500, I brought an old Colt 1911 to sell and it was a down right hassle.....

Before I went I did my homework on the gun, knew it would bring from 1000 to 1500. I asked 1200 because that is what I thought it was worth.
    It seemed everyone in that building wanted to hold it, rack it back, let it slam home, ect.. but when it came down to buying it, they would only low ball me.

I even started to question my price, but after discussing it with a dealer there he told me to hold out, I was asking a good price.

I sold it to a dealer there for 1150.00 just because I got sick of people jerking me around.....but I made money, so all was well.
    I even had a fellow INGO'er slam my price after I sold the gun without even seeing the gun..:dunno:

pathfinder317

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    Franklin In
    You did the right thing by just walking away.

I recently went to a show , and took a bolt action rifle.
    my friend took a bolt action rifle , both were the same caliber , both had synthetic stocks and both had inexpensive scopes.
    My friend sold his to this guy , then the guy came back and told me he was going to buy mine for $50 less than what my friend sold his for , because in his opinion mine was worth $50 less.
    I was asking $250 and he offered me $130 , my friend sold his far below what it was worth , and I don't think that should have affected my selling price , and it didn't , I got what I wanted for it.
    One has to watch out for bottom feeding scumbags , they seem to be everywhere.

The PROFET

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    Dawsonville Ga.
    badmouthing my gun

I just look at them, and say,If my gun is so crappy then why do you want it, and then my price goes up, I once was at a gun show and a guy was cutting down my gun, so I uped the price, he said your crazy you'll never git it, I said I dont really want to sell it anyway, later he came over and cut my gun again, I went up another $50 , he walked off mumbling, as I was leaving he said I see you haven't sold it, and he offered me my original price I said no that the price was fixing to go up more and he bought it for $75 more than I had originaly ask, the gun was an m1-a1 with 20 clips

Trujillo107

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 21, 2008
    NWI
    I definitely think you did the right think. He was probably upset if couldn't afford it and wanted to mock you in hopes you would cave and sell it for cheaper. But you came out on top, Good show.

workinman

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    NWI
    had the same thing happen to me. I just sold the gun 2 tables down from him for what i wanted out of it. It's not worth your time dealing with some people.

nalees

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    West Lafayette, IN
    people will always try to talk your price down. just hold out for what you know it's worth. i had dealers trying to talk my price down on a glock and i just held out for a private party sale for around the asking price i wanted :)

paperboy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 18, 2009
    Pulaski County
    At the Lafayette show there was a gentleman trying to sell a officers size Kimber and was asking 450 for it. The guy behind the counter said "that piece of sh*t no way, I'll give you 300" the guy looked at him and said "i dont appreciate your tone and walked away" I wish I would have walked up to him and said how Impressed i was. I also wish I had 450 on me.
    He would have bought it for $300 and two minutes later would have put it on his table for $500

Top Bottom