What do you say when a guy badmouths your gun???

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BigMatt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 22, 2009
    Well, I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one that this has happened to.

Part of me wants to show him the print page from my GunBroker sale, but then again, I just don't want to think about it that much.

Thanks for letting me get this off my chest.

2cool9031

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    NWI
    They will always knock your gun, In order to get it at a cheap price...even if they want twice what something is worth for their stuff. Just the name of the game.

JDonhardt

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2010
    Sounds like you did the perfect thing to me: Sold it for more! Now you have MORE MONEY, and money is what its all about.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    "Well if you can't afford to buy it, I'll let you look at it for a dollar or even touch it for two dollars. May be one day if you work hard at your little table here you can own one."

llamant

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2010
    It doesn't sound like very good business sence for the dealer to act like a jerk. If you were in earshot hearing his snide comments others would be as well. This guy sounds like his own worst enemy. You'd think it would give others pause in considering purchasing from him with that attitude. Think of it as doing others at the table a favor, letting the guy run them away.

bonzaiberger

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Milan
    The last show I went to with a gun for sale I kept hearing " well, thats reasonable but I'm trying to get one for $100-200 less". Or they would seem offended and say" well thats what I would try to sell it for, I can't give that for it!" I don't know why they can ask that much but I can't?:dunno: Oh well, I hate selling them anyway!:ar15:

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    Well, when I was at the Indy 1500 about a year and a half ago, and some guy was tryiong to sell a WASR-10 for $900.00. I held my tongue, wished him luck and went about my business.

When I was selling my Navy Arms single action, I did my research first and was comfortable with my asking price. I was giving a good deal because I had to sell it, and knew it. Only one guy argued with the price, because he thought I didn't know what I had. He ended up buying it for what I asked when he realized I KNEW I was cutting him a deal.

tuoder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    Meridian-Kessler, Indianapolis
    I have been through shows where I have stirred up a conversation with a guy that is selling a gun. I ask him how much he is asking for it and if it is too high, I say "Thanks for letting me see your gun" and move on.

I have also been the guy that is carrying the gun and had the same thing happen to me.

When I was at an unnamed show, I walked in with a gun that I was sure of the value. The first table that I walked past, the guy asked me how much I was asking and I told him. He promptly told me I was asking way too much. I said thanks for looking and moved on. As I was at the next table, I could hear the guy at the first table telling all his buddies that he couldn't believe what I was asking and that it didn't even have wood grips! (the original grips were rubber)

Every time I walked past his table, I could hear him mocking me and my asking price. I wasn't about to get into a yelling contest, and the show wan't that good, so I left.

I promptly went home, listed it on GunBroker and sold it for $100 more than my asking price at the show.

Have you ever had this happen? What should I have done?

Honestly, I this this as just dishonest bargaining. These people are trying to con you into a low price so they can save the money or else resell it. You did your research ahead of time, so you weren't taken advantage of.

clt46910

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Akron Indiana
    Many times they are just trying to pump their own egos or they are just condescending jerks.

Normally I just laugh at them and tell them no thanks I will sale it to someone that knows it's worth because you do not have a clue.

Then, if they really pissed me off, I will ask them something about the history behind the firearm, they never know...LOL

wetidlerjr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2008
    TIPTON
    ...When I was at an unnamed show, I walked in with a gun that I was sure of the value. The first table that I walked past, the guy asked me how much I was asking and I told him. He promptly told me I was asking way too much. I said thanks for looking and moved on. As I was at the next table, I could hear the guy at the first table telling all his buddies that he couldn't believe what I was asking and that it didn't even have wood grips! (the original grips were rubber)

Every time I walked past his table, I could hear him mocking me and my asking price. I wasn't about to get into a yelling contest, and the show wan't that good, so I left.
    I promptly went home, listed it on GunBroker and sold it for $100 more than my asking price at the show.
    Have you ever had this happen? What should I have done?

Recently I had a guy (who knew NOTHING about the value of my pistol) say I wouldn't get what I was asking. I told him, simply, that it wouldn't be sold for less. Two weeks later, I sold it for exactly what I was asking. In short, he was an asshat that was only whining because he knew he would never get it. The moron in your case was pretty much the same. When the "low-ballers" realize that you are no fool and won't sell your gun to them they only know how to "cry like a Japanese school girl" about it.
    What you did was come out on top. :rockwoot:

patton487

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    If he makes a snide comment initially, I'd let it go. But if he continues everytime you walk by tell him to kiss your a##, and yes I would get into a shouting match if he pushed it, just me. I wouldn't leave a show just because of that. :twocents:

Top Bottom