• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    When money limits you to one, I have to choose the 1911. It's for me. Glocks are fine guns, I just do not like the way it fits my hand. Something I am betting my life on has to be something I am comfortable with. My best friend chose the Beretta Cougar in .45 because of the way it fit his hand. I like that pistol too, but it's not as natural a feel for me.

Everyone has their opinions. 7million people or not, I'm not buying one. You can be a fanboi all you want, but opinions are opinions and something we're staking our lives on needs to be thought out carefully.

RBrianHarless

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2011
    Kokomo
    Would love to own a 1911. Just don't want to take out a second mortage to own one. As for polymer, I prefer my Glocks though I do like the Smith and Wesson M&P's.

Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Would love to own a 1911. Just don't want to take out a second mortage to own one. As for polymer, I prefer my Glocks though I do like the Smith and Wesson M&P's.

You dont have to, plenty of RIA, GI springfields, Remingtons, or several other brands that are in the ball park price of a glock. Some less, some a little more.

All 1911s dont cost as much as a Kimber or Wilson Combat.

IndianaSigma

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2011
    Huntington, IN
    Both can be pieces of crap. Manufacturer and types of steel, alloy, or polymer used in the construction of the gun are what truly matters.

I'm a fan of both, but prefer a polymer grip and steel slide as my EDC tool.

ftwphilly

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    1911, it has a mystique all its own. Might have to get pops to sell his XDm 9mm 4.5 and Glock 17 gen 4 to further our 1911 addiction.

Fixer

Expert
    Rating - 96.4%
    26   1   1
    Nov 22, 2009
    Fort Wayne Area
    I own both a Colt 1911 and a Springfield XD45. Both guns are accurate and feel good to shoot. I do carry the XD over the 1911 because the weight is similar, but the XD holds 13+1. Nothing like a 45 and to have 14 rounds available without a reload is well worth it to me. Just my :twocents:.

jurassicnarc

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    30 years in law enforcement , and I am solidly on the side of the 1911 over the various "plastic guns". Mine are accurate, and unless you are limp wristed, completely reliable. Now, what did I carry? For 18 years, I carried a S&W 29-2, until policy forced a change. I am currently on the forth one, having worn three out, one with over 18,000 rounds. My Wilson 1911 is around 3500 rounds old, and I am completely satisfied. Today I turned 67, and I do not plan to buy another.

ftwphilly

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    I am solidly on the side of the 1911 over the various "plastic guns".

Couldn't agree more. As someone new I dabbled in various 9mm platforms and each time the 1911 came out to play it was like going from a Yugo to a Ferrari on the racetrack. I know they cost a bit more to shoot but rather than own a bunch of plastics I don't really enjoy I figure I'll just invest in reloading.

jbrown5932

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 22, 2008
    Mooresville
    Try the new 4th Gen. Glock's. They have adjustable backstraps now, and actually has one that feels like the 1911. I personally carry 1911's, I have small hands and they seem to be the best fit for me. Not to mention they have been tried and tested for 100 years. So in saying this, get what fits your hand the best and what feels comfortable to you. We can give our opinions likes and dislikes all day long. But it all comes down to your preference and what fits you best.

jbrown5932

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 22, 2008
    Mooresville
    Don't be afraid to buy a good used 1911, sometimes this will help with that initial cost. Generally you will get most of your money back if you decide a 1911 is not for you. That is if you buy a good quality 1911. I have bought several good used 1911's for what it cost to buy a Glock. Not a cheapo, but a quality Sig Sauer GSR.

Take a good look on the INGO classifieds, I have seen several Kimbers, and Springfields for a fair price. I promise you this, if and when you buy that first 1911 you will be hooked. Then the addiction is on.

mshogren

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 20, 2010
    Arcadia
    multiple 1911s and a couple of others...none plastic

I had 3 plastic guns, traded them for metal ones.

Metal does not age and degrade like plastic over time. I would like my guns to be around for my son to pass on to his son some day.

I know polymer technology is still improving, but it still does not have the longevity of metal. I am sure there will be many to disagree with me...

Mark

Top Bottom