What do Illinois and Lions have in common?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JokerGirl

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 2, 2012
    NW Indy
    Apparently, one of their state reps has introduced a bill to end the sale of lion meat in the state.

Lawmaker battles to ban lion meat – Eatocracy - CNN.com Blogs

“What I do know is there are two local companies in Illinois that are supposedly selling lion meat. The economy is not that bad that we have to eat lion’s meat,” Arroyo told CNN. “I have always considered lions to be in the zoo or the king of the jungle, not for consumption. Do we consume elephants too, where do we stop?”

He continued, “I want to make it illegal to butcher or sell it because if you are in the jungle and you see a lion and he’s coming at you, you might as well shoot him because he might eat you, but we are not in the jungle, so I prefer not to consume them.

Good for you! Don't eat them... but really? You need to ban it? It's meat. It's yummy.

Last edited:

Chewie

Old, Tired, Grumpy, Skeptical
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    Martinsville
    Nothing like reminding me why I ran away from Illinois over 20 yers ago. Wish I would have gotten smarter sooner and left even earlier. All the crap going on and someone is worried about selling Lion meat! Go Figure!

Tsigos

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2012
    I would not want to see lions go extinct because of consumption, but it sounds like it was not being consumed in any quantity that posed a problem. Ironically, all this attention has probably spiked sales as many people wonder what lion meat tastes like.

canav844

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 22, 2011
    Everything else is already against the law in IL, I guess this is the next thing they could come up with to ban. I'm sure lion meat will remain available if you're rich, famous, gang member or a Chicago elected official.

TRWXXA

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2008
    Hope I can find out some day. Lion hunt in Sputh Africa is on my bucket list.
    I have had lion. You are not missing anything. Tough and gamey. Not a little bit gamey like elk or bear, but REALLY gamey. Barely edible. I can say I ate lion, but I certainly can't say I enjoyed it.

buckstopshere

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    Greenwood
    I have had lion. You are not missing anything. Tough and gamey. Not a little bit gamey like elk or bear, but REALLY gamey. Barely edible. I can say I ate lion, but I certainly can't say I enjoyed it.

Really? That does surprise me some but if I'm going to kill it, I'm going to eat it or at least, feed the dog :D

Did you go on a safari and kill one or have you tried it from other means?

jkfletcher

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 12, 2011
    A geographical oddity
    Maybe instead of making silly laws about killing lions, he could make a law about killing Cubs :):

images

Rhoadmar

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 18, 2012
    The farm
    I would not want to see lions go extinct because of consumption, but it sounds like it was not being consumed in any quantity that posed a problem. Ironically, all this attention has probably spiked sales as many people wonder what lion meat tastes like.
    Are chickens, pigs or cattle extinct because of consumption? If a big enough market could be developed We'd have lions coming out our ear's and other orifices.

Glock

Marksman
    Rating - 96.7%
    29   1   0
    Mar 25, 2012
    Between Terre Haute and Indianapolis there is an animal rescue with over 200 large cats. At least 30 of them are lions.

TRWXXA

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2008
    Really? That does surprise me some but if I'm going to kill it, I'm going to eat it or at least, feed the dog :D

Did you go on a safari and kill one or have you tried it from other means?
    Nah. I'm a fan of big cats. Here is one of my favorite area attractions to go to: EFRC I don't see any point in hunting and eating them when there are other, tastier animals around, like deer, elk and bison.

Oddly enough, I got the lion meat from a meat market near where I used to live in Illinois (a great state to be from... VERY FAR FROM!) They supply a variety of unusual game meats. I'm adventurous enough to try different things, and sampled a bunch of different meats -- lion, bear, kangaroo, moose, ostrich, gator, snake and others I can't remember, but would make PETA members cry. Interesting to try all of them, but it made me understand why man chose to raise cows and pigs for meat.

Last edited:

TRWXXA

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2008
    Between Terre Haute and Indianapolis there is an animal rescue with over 200 large cats. At least 30 of them are lions.
    Sorry missed your post, but I put the link in my previous post.

Visit the EFRC if you haven't yet. It's not a fancy zoo, so you might want to bring an extra pair of shoes. A change of clothes is not a bad idea, as there is the slight chance you might get peed on (that's just a big cat's way of saying, "I like you! I'm gonna make you mine."). That's how close you can get.

Top Bottom