• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    Just a quick question. What type steel are you using for your targets and how is it holding up. I used 1/2" mild steel on my first ones but they are not holding up to well. Thinking of trying some AR 400 for my next go around. Really nice targets.:rockwoot:

I know lovemywoods uses Bobcat Steel products (A Site Supporter btw). If I am not mistaken, the plates are all AR500..

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Just a quick question. What type steel are you using for your targets and how is it holding up. I used 1/2" mild steel on my first ones but they are not holding up to well. Thinking of trying some AR 400 for my next go around. Really nice targets.:rockwoot:

LMW's targets are ar 500 steel. Skip the ar400 and go straight to ar500 for rifles. It only takes 1 round bouncing back at your head from mild steel to make you wish you had spend the extra money on Bobcat steel targets.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I was out yesterday to check the 200 yard zero of three rifles. I've developed some custom loads for each one.

Thought I'd share the view over one of them! This is a Savage 110 in .308 with a Vortex Viper scope.

Here is the set-up. I'm shooting off a bench toward some paper and steel targets.

b4awet.jpg

A view over the top of the Vortex scope:

15z62h0.jpg

A shooter's eye view of the downrange targets.

4smlwi.jpg

The steel targets. The one on the right got flipped with the first hit of .308 ammunition. (Steel from Bobcat Steel)

2cpsxf6.jpg

Hope you enjoyed this mini-range visit. :ingo:

Looks like your ready to push it a little bit:D

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    Geez I feel pretty insignificant after LMW's post. :):

I took my Marlin 795 for a spin earlier today. Fed it about 100 rds shooting at a 45% IPSC, two 6" rounds (AR500 Bobcat Steel courtesy of Kimble) and some bowling pins at 75 yards.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy

These gentlemen have it correct . . . .

I know lovemywoods uses Bobcat Steel products (A Site Supporter btw). If I am not mistaken, the plates are all AR500..

LMW's targets are ar 500 steel. Skip the ar400 and go straight to ar500 for rifles. It only takes 1 round bouncing back at your head from mild steel to make you wish you had spend the extra money on Bobcat steel targets.

You can read more about steel and how to be safe when shooting it in another famous LMW thread: https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo..._patterns_off_of_steel_targets_pic_heavy.html

Looks like your ready to push it a little bit:D

I know I am! :rockwoot: ;)

It's ok Steve, we all do. :D

lovemywoods

Geek in Paradise!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Brown County

I took my Marlin 795 for a spin earlier today. Fed it about 100 rds shooting at a 45% IPSC, two 6" rounds (AR500 Bobcat Steel courtesy of Kimble) and some bowling pins at 75 yards.

My friend, I hope you never really feel lesser in any way due to me. We all have areas and gifts in which we excel and areas in which we struggle.

If you spent some time outdoors honing your shooting skills and enjoying yourself, then that is a day to remember!

lovemywoods

Geek in Paradise!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Brown County
    I've got to admit, I LOVE the sound of a .308 hit on the large IPSC target from Bobcat Steel. It's different than the smaller steel targets that give more of a ring. It's....

Thwack----Donggggg!!!

(Helps if you have on electronic ear pro.)

2cpsxf6.jpg

Last edited:

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    My friend, I hope you never really feel lesser in any way due to me. We all have areas and gifts in which we excel and areas in which we struggle. Just my own sarcastic way of tipping my hat to you, (and being jealous), Dave. :laugh: :laugh: Everyone loves lovemywoods' woods, you know!

If you spent some time outdoors honing your shooting skills and enjoying yourself, then that is a day to remember!

Somehow shooting alone, for me, isn't ever as satisfying as it can be when friends get together to lob lead. There is a certain comraderie and competition that developes, making everyone strive to be better. Perhaps the images just remind me of that more than anything.

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    No shooting for me today. I have been loading up a very accurate load out of two of my Colt guns (10.3" and 14.4" SOCOM) 24 grains of RE-15, CCI 41, LC11 x2 and 77 grain Nosler W Canulure. This load is killer for me.

6mm Shoot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2012
    I shot a Contender in 223, working up some hand loads. I also shot my Glock 36 to check it out. Good thing I did. It was on the fritz. Had a broken off spring on the slide release. It was a good day all in all.

I got to shoot some. Fixed the problem with my 36. Found a good load for my Contender.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    Went out today and shot the new RIA Tactical in 9mm. I put almost 400 rounds out of it today. Brass is in the tumbler. I think my brother shot as many .38's.
    I was shooting home cast 115g bullets lubed with a homemade lube using mostly bee's wax with 4.2g of titegroup. I had 2 rounds that wouldn't chamber, I think it was a sizing issue with the bullet, everything else went bang.

Steve B

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    KEWANNA
    Only loaded 900 9mm 124 JHP. Then went out and unloaded 50 9mm & 100 or so 40 S&W the fun way. It was 59 out so we didn't want to waste the chance to put a few down range.

Shots fired...

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    Shot the Romanian 1969 trainer that I was given a couple of months ago. Since .22LR is so hard to find, I kept it to a dull roar and only shot 25, but it was more fun than just letting it sit! :draw:

Top Bottom