What Can a Glock Do That a 1911 or BHP Cannot?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    Hello,

I know this is a revisit of an old argument.

However, it's been bugging me all night. I woke up with the idea in my head, and can't get rid of it.

The Glock is continually going through "updates" and new versions.

The 1911 and BHP were in their basic final forms years before the Glock was conceived.

I'm just not getting what a Glock or XD can really do that a pistol designed 75 to 100 years ago cannot.

In other words, I believe it's the man and his proficiency, not so much the weapon, that determines the course of a match or of a fight.

Josh

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    The 1911 has been modified from the day it was introduced and is still being modified, we now have smaller versions, hi-cap versions, double action versions...so it is fair to say it is also "continually going through "updates" and new versions". As for the Glock...it's basic operating system also hasn't change since it was introduced.

The Glock is arguably one of the most reliable semi-autos made. It is lighter than either the 1911 or the Browning, holds more ammo, is very accurate out of the box. Much the same can be said for both the Springfield and the S&W M&P.

While it is true it is the proficiency of the shooter that matters, if you give that shooter a better tool he will do a better job.

Andre46996

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Hammond
    Just like my 76 Chevy can do all the same things my 2002 can do.

I just like the creature comforts....

I own an XD over a Glock because the XD points like a 1911, same grip angles.

I own an XD because I could not find a 3" 1911 I could afford.

I own an XD because even in 40S&W in a Sub-compact frame I have 9 rounds available.

I carry an XD because it doesn't feel like I have 10 pounds of lead hiding between my shorts and my pants.

I want a 1911 because they are cool.

I want a 1911 because of the history.

I want a 1911 as a race gun.

I will not carry a 1911 just because I believe you should carry whatever you are comfortable with and for me that is my XD. I just like plastic pistols.

BIG TIM

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fountaintown
    In my opinion, the greatest advantage that any Glock offers over the other weapons that you mention is being much lighter weight. The other real value is dependability right out of the box. In the case of a 1911 series pistol, that isn't always the case. The BHP has always been known to be dependable and lighter than the 1911 and it offered the first high capacity double stack magazine.

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    The 1911 has been modified from the day it was introduced and is still being modified, we now have smaller versions, hi-cap versions, double action versions...so it is fair to say it is also "continually going through "updates" and new versions". As for the Glock...it's basic operating system also hasn't change since it was introduced.

The Glock is arguably one of the most reliable semi-autos made. It is lighter than either the 1911 or the Browning, holds more ammo, is very accurate out of the box. Much the same can be said for both the Springfield and the S&W M&P.

While it is true it is the proficiency of the shooter that matters, if you give that shooter a better tool he will do a better job.

:+1: very well said

Mudcat

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Warrick county
    I saw a guy last weekend at Fighting Pistol with a $1200 (he said) Kimber that would not drop it on the ground. Sorry a gun is a tool nothing more nothing less. The thing is he should have thrown it to the woods because it ran like crap all weekend. Just like the past 1911s I have had. I have had more than a few 1911s Colts, Springfields, Para and none NONE have been even close to as reliable as my G19.

What can a Glock do that a 1911 cannot? Be reliable right out of the box and still be reliable after thousands of rounds through it. Hold more rounds, weighs less.

What can a 1911 do that a Glock cannot? Rust!

Can a Glock have issues sure, can a 1911 run sure. But examples of both are very very rare.

Lars

Rifleman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    I've only seen one 1911 pattern pistol run an entire class without a single malfunction. I've only seen one Glock malfunction in a class. It had more aftermarket parts than factory.

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    Properly set up the 1911 has a very nice SA trigger. However a base gun from the factory does not have that nice trigger, it has one with creep, crunch, they stack, and then finally break. A Glock from the factory does have a mushy feel. However for just a few dollars...much less than a trigger job on a 1911, you will end up will a trigger that feels very similar to a well tuned revolver in DA. I have carried both in the past for SD.

If you prefer single action buy a 1911, if you like double action buy a Glock. I shoot both, and yes my 1911 comp gun is more accurate than my Glock comp gun. The 1911 gets used when accuracy outweighs the need for high cap and the Glock for shoots where the higher capacity gives me an edge.

Today I carry revolvers for SD because they are more reliable than any semi auto.

compguns.jpg

thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove
    I've only seen one 1911 pattern pistol run an entire class without a single malfunction. I've only seen one Glock malfunction in a class. It had more aftermarket parts than factory.

You guys are always talking about the near 100% failure rate of 1911's, and I have to wonder: Are we talking about stock 1911A1 with 230gr FMJ? I've been around 1911A1s all my life, and I've never seen the sort of failure rate you guys always talk about. In fact, failures have been so rare for myself and everyone I know, that I can remember them, because they stand out for their rarity.

In fact, if they failed at the rate you guys always claim, I'm amazed that they managed to bandage one together long enough to make the military trials in 1911!!:dunno:

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    It is more a issue of " longevity " for me than anything. I am more a range person and rarely shoot factory ammo. The decision for me was between the issue of a " Glock kaboom " or possible slide or frame cracking due to slide/frame battering. I am just a believer in polymer guns. IMO, it's like having a permanent poly recoil shock buffer always there. Now, I do realize if a combination of a couple factors show up ( unsupported chamber, bad reload, bad factory ammo, bullet set-back, simple case failure, ect ) that a poly framed gun is NOT forgiving where a steel / alloy framed gun might be. But, as for possible frame/slide cracking due to battering, I think the poly's shine above the steel / alloy frames. I have shot too many higher pressure loads thru Glocks that I will never be convinced that a steel framed gun could take the same beating.

As for why I chose to worry more about frame/slide battering issues over a kaboom... The truth is for the same reason I choose to drive over flying. I just feel I have more control over a kaboom.. I follow safe reloading practices and also have eliminated the unsupported chamber issue.

While I have other poly guns ( wifes Kahr, XD's, FN's ), I rate the Glock at the top. I like and believe there are many other great ones out there, but Glock just won me over. About 5 years ago now, I called both Glock and Springfield. I was wanting a .40 and also wanted the ability to shoot .357 sig and 9mm out of it. Springfiled at the time told me they didn't recommend it, and also would not sell me a barrel for the .357. On the other hand, Glock was GREAT ! They took the time to explain to me about the reinforced frame on the Gen 3 and also explained how to identify it by the prefix of the serial number. They also recommended 2 great sources I could get both factory or aftermarket parts to do what I was wanting. Springfield on the other hand, has been a pita to get things for. I say this owning 2 XD's which I also love. Heck, it's my 45 tactical I sleep with under my pillow. Just too bad they are not near as good as Glock to deal with.

Top Bottom