• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jforrest

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2009
    Porter County
    When i bought my pistol, self defense was my biggest deciding factor (i know no surprise there). I know a 9mm is a far cry from being non-lethal, but some people swear on the bigger calibers. I on the other hand would rather shoot my gun as much as possible due to cheaper ammo. I'm a college student so money is really tight. This is why i chose 9mm, I can practice more and in the event I would need to protect myself my skills will be much better.

I thought of it this way, which would I rather have, one accurate shot on center mass, or a few well placed shots on center mass because I can control the gun better because I'm relying more on muscle memory.

Cheaper ammo = more ammo = more practice = more fun = i could keep going. :D

What are your reasons I want to hear them.

antsi

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    I don't think there is any meaningful difference between the commonly used defense/duty calibers: 9mm, 357 SIG, .40 SW, .45 ACP. I don't think any one of these so far outperforms the other that it will be the difference between surviving a gun fight or not. If you can find a pistol in one of the above calibers that fits your needs and that you can shoot proficiently, you are about as good as you can get with a handgun.

If all the time folks spent debating the merits of different calibers and ammo could be traded for range time, they would be a lot better prepared.

Inexpensive widely available ammo is a major plus for 9x19mm. If that translates to more range time and more practice for you, I'd say you're a lot better armed than most.

jforrest

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2009
    Porter County
    I don't think there is any meaningful difference between the commonly used defense/duty calibers: 9mm, 357 SIG, .40 SW, .45 ACP.

I agree with you completely. I just like to hear everyone's opinion. I'm not here to argue, just to gain insightful information. To me it makes no difference what caliber you use, another person carrying is another friend protecting themselves and others.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Can't argue with your logic about shooting more with the 9mm. Practice makes accuracy and a hit is always better than a loud miss.

I reload and cast so caliber for fun shooting is sort of moot. My defense caliber is 38sp and has been for 30 years because of the ease of concealed carry. I messed with 9mm and .380 but always came back to the 38.:)

JR50

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Significantly North of Rt. 30
    Initially, I considered .380 and thought a Bersa Thunder would be the device. Eventually, I came around to 9mm as a good middle of the road choice. (Besides, there are no .380 XDs!)

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    I carry .38 Special +Ps in my S&W Model 66.

I find .38s to be fun to shoot, fun to practice with, and they offer adequate defensive power. I enjoy target shooting with my guns, and some of my .38 reloads out of a good gun provide a lot of satisfaction. .357 is a great stopper, but has way too much muzzle blast, way too much muzzle flash, and more recoil than I care for. Except for some light handloads, I do not practice with it. I simply am not proficient enough with full power .357s to justify carrying them.

In semi-autos, I like both 9mm and .45s. They are fun to shoot and practice with, and both offer good defensive power.

shadow6492

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Garrett/Auburn IN
    my first handgun was my XDM9, prices of 9mm isnt bad to target shoot. Then I got a FN FiveSeven 5.7x28, alittle pricey but had to have it. For home defense or target I got a Sig P226R 40sw. I try to look at ammo prices of what caliber i want to buy next, but you gotta pay to play! Next is going to be a Sig 556 ER so....

luvall

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Noblesville
    JForrest - Last year, I went through the exact same thought process and moved to the 9mm from the 45. One issue for me was having a smaller gun to carry. I selected the Kahr CW9 because of size and weight - for me it was the right choice and gun. Since making the change, I have been able to spend much less on ammo and more time on the range. My 9mm groups are much better, especially double taps, and I feel more confident in my ability to make the shot. Most important is that now I can make 3 tight 9mm shots in the time that I could fire 2 less accurate shots with the 45.
    From my research, the 9mm is reported to be an adequate load. I hope you find your way what works for you.

cce1302

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Back down south
    The first gun I bought specifically for carry was an XD40SC. I went with that over the .45 because they didn't make the XD45 yet. My second gun I bought specifically for carry was the XD40Service. I bought it because it was used for the "YOU MUST BUY ME!!" price of $350. If I had passed on it I never would have forgiven myself. The third gun I bought specifically for carry was a S&W Model 327PC, 8 rds of .357 magnum with a 2" barrel. I carry full .357 magnum loads in it (I stopped shooting .38 specials out of a .357 when I was about 16) but I may switch to Hornady Critical Defence .38spl if I can find some, and if they don't bring it out in .357 magnum.

Other guns I carry are a Ruger P95DC (9mm) and Ruger GP100 6" barrel (357) when I feel like it, and a Beretta .32acp Tomcat when I need to carry something very small.

Planning to buy a .45 or two, and a .380 at some point, all for carry.

jforrest

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2009
    Porter County
    thanks for all the replies everyone! luvall - that's what i was thinking, less muzzle flip, I'll be able to control the gun better. I can't wait to get out to the range again! :D

Keep the replies coming!

SWAT-DOC

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I think all the defense calibers are good. It just comes down to what you like and can shoot well. I never seen anyone get even the smallest .22 out of their a$$ without help.

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    I'm fine with a good quality 9mm hollow-point. However, in the winter time I prefer a heavy .40, to penetrate deeper with the heavier clothing the perp may wear.

Rating - 100%
    137   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    I prefer the .45acp,but that's just me,You should carry what you are comfortable with and what you practice with.What everone else thinks is up to them,putting the rounds on target is what counts!

Redskinsfan

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Good and reasonable content

I don't think there is any meaningful difference between the commonly used defense/duty calibers: 9mm, 357 SIG, .40 SW, .45 ACP. I don't think any one of these so far outperforms the other that it will be the difference between surviving a gun fight or not. If you can find a pistol in one of the above calibers that fits your needs and that you can shoot proficiently, you are about as good as you can get with a handgun.

If all the time folks spent debating the merits of different calibers and ammo could be traded for range time, they would be a lot better prepared.

Inexpensive widely available ammo is a major plus for 9x19mm. If that translates to more range time and more practice for you, I'd say you're a lot better armed than most.

I appreciate the comments in this post as well as its tone. The posts that follow I also appreciate because they all were much more sound than the typical internet on defense caliber. Unfortunately the typical internet caliber for defense discussion descends to the posters TELLING other people what they MUST spend THEIR money on and that is almost always a 45ACP in a 1911.

I like Ingunowners site better than others I have been on and this one example why.

Terry

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I prefer the .40. Reason being is it's what I consider to be an inbetween round. It's not quit as fast a .9mm, so no worries about over penetratrion. Not quit as big as big as a .45, but makes up for the size in speed. I do have a .9mm for a backup. Right now I shoot my .40 more anyways, do to lack of ammo.

VN Vet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Check out Hornady's new Critical Defense Ammo. I bought it in 9mm 115 gr and 38 spcl +P 110 gr. It has a special hollow point filler meant to penatrate clothing without clogging before it enters the body and doing it's thing. This new round is getting great reviews. It is cool stuff.

Glockster

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Indianapolis

I think you're right which really elevates the importance of capacity. Don't discount this issue just because you can put another mag on your belt. The tactical experts will tell you if you have to reload, you're dead. Accuracy and capacity will win the day. This means 9mm may well be the preferred carry round.

haldir

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2008
    Goshen
    I primarily carry a full size 1911a1 .45. I love to shoot it and I shoot it fairly well. I also have a Glock 22 (.40 S&W) that I occasionally carry. When I have to dress up though, I carry a little snub nosed .38 with +p rounds. I don't really worry about rounds available (although I guess I would rather have my Glock with 15 rounds to throw at them if I faced a street gang). I figure in most situations I will only have one or two people to deal with. If I can't hit them with the other guns I deserve what I have coming to me.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    RedMurph
    Top Bottom